Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
rainrock:

Tell us how you really feel about it, rainrock. Obviously you prefer Denver to Philly, but we don't all want to live there. You do not need to insult other people's intelligence, either.
I didn't insult anyone. I merely questioned the notion of someone ranking Philadlephia 17th best city in the usa. No offense to Detroit but he ranked Detroit (twice) ahead of Philadlephia, was I remiss in my questioning?

I actually like Denver. After San Diego and Sante Fe its my favorite US city but in the overall scheme of things it simply can not compete with Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 01:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I didn't insult anyone. I merely questioned the notion of someone ranking Philadlephia 17th best city in the usa. No offense to Detroit but he ranked Detroit (twice) ahead of Philadlephia, was I remiss in my questioning?

I actually like Denver. After San Diego and Sante Fe its my favorite US city but in the overall scheme of things it simply can not compete with Philadelphia.
from rainrock to rawlings:
Quote:
I think the thin air is playing games with your brainpower.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:22 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,271 times
RAINROCK: That collection of photos makes me want to move to Philadelphia! Wow!!!!

And yet I've been there and hated it.

It's all about timing, having a good tour guide, lots of happenstance and coincidence and incidentals... It's impossible to know a city without spending at least a few months there, and that's barely enough to get an accurate "first impression."

Also, I completely understand your dispute with me for excluding Boston from my top ten list. I lived in MA for a couple years and have been back to visit a few times. Boston is an amazing city and I'd probably want to live there if not for the climate. I chose Austin, and that tells you my preferences regarding hot vs. cold. Also, there's an "old world" feeling to Boston that I don't care for. I grew up on the west coast and will always have an adolescent attraction to places that are kind of crazy and unstable. Not Vegas (blech, I'd rather die!), but places where there's a lot more NEW stuff happening vs. the old ties to Europe and the staid, minimally expressive personalities that are common to New England.

As Rawlings said, this is all very subjective. Accepting that premise, it's fun to compare our prejudices, preferences, impressions and selective perception.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:55 PM

353 posts, read 503,535 times
Rainrock, did you read my original post? In my rankings of world class cities I put Philly as a top-tier world class city. Denver? I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THAT COWTOWN ON MY LIST! I don't think it's world class at all! Sheesh!

There's no question Philly is more world class--and it's one of my favorite cities; I love the Mainline--I'm just saying that more people want to live in Denver. But, this is key, having lots of people wanting to live somewhere doesn't make that somewhere world class--it just makes it an attractive place to live.

By the way, tremendous photos. If I didn't have such an aversion to the northeast I might want to live there!

Here's the gyst: you like Philadelphia for the very same reasons that it is world class--it is cultured, progressive, hip, artsy, well-known, major financial hub, etc. That's great!

But I like Denver for the very reasons that it is not world class--it's in the middle of nowhere, too 'midwestern,' conservative, bland, etc.

That's my only point.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I never thought it possible to "reek" of something positive.
Um, reek doesnt mean it has to be foul. Of course most people use that term to describe something that stinks, but you can use "reek" to show that it emits or gives forth a quality. ie: this car reeks of sportiness, or this town reeks of history.

There, now you learned something for the day.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,572,574 times
Rawlings, you're all over the map, I can't follow your points. First you say, "But if you look where the average Coloradan or Denverite lives--it's conservative. The impulse in Colorado is absolutely conservative. And most people wouldn't have it any other way."

Then you say, "I can't imagine BYU being terribly popular unless you're in Grand Junction or in a big Mormon neighborhood. Either way, Utah is quite a conservative place."

At any rate, looks like you are placing all your chips on political leanings. Most us us look at many more dimensions than that when assessing the top ten US cities.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Rawlings, you're all over the map, I can't follow your points. First you say, "But if you look where the average Coloradan or Denverite lives--it's conservative. The impulse in Colorado is absolutely conservative. And most people wouldn't have it any other way."

Then you say, "I can't imagine BYU being terribly popular unless you're in Grand Junction or in a big Mormon neighborhood. Either way, Utah is quite a conservative place."

At any rate, looks like you are placing all your chips on political leanings. Most us us look at many more dimensions than that when assessing the top ten US cities.
No, no, no. I wasn't talking about politics at all. PittNurse mentioned that a lot of kids from CO chose BYU for school--since Mormons only make up about 2% of the state's population. That's all.

For the record, Denver is obviously conservative. The only question is why it's kids are going to BYU.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
They are going to BYU because they are Mormons and want to go to a church college. Of course, the number of students going out of state to some other college is much larger, and the number staying in-state is about 80 % at my kids' high school, Monarch. Most of the kids going in-state go to public colleges. I would question the statement that Colorado is only 2% Mormon.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,353 times
The interior west of full of social conservatives, traditionalists, and fundamentalists. Utah is merely the most Mormon of the various states; Colorado and Idaho are well within the fold (outside of Denver/Boulder, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Um, reek doesnt mean it has to be foul. Of course most people use that term to describe something that stinks, but you can use "reek" to show that it emits or gives forth a quality. ie: this car reeks of sportiness, or this town reeks of history.

There, now you learned something for the day.
I would speak of "oozing history" or "gushing history," not reeking.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The interior west of full of social conservatives, traditionalists, and fundamentalists. Utah is merely the most Mormon of the various states; Colorado and Idaho are well within the fold (outside of Denver/Boulder, of course).

I would speak of "oozing history" or "gushing history," not reeking.
Denver is NOT the same thing as Boulder. Boulder is a different country, friend. I'm waiting for the day they just declare independence, sovereignty, and put up passport control stations for all incoming traffic. Step out of Boulder city limits and you step into reality--or, as the case may be, unreality. As the saying goes, "Boulder is ten square miles surrounded by reality." They don't say that for no reason.

I've always wondered why people consider Colorado part of the interior west. I mean, is it, exactly? Or is it just culturally part of the interior west? I've always wondered if it's more midwestern or purely western...or is it both? Is it more like Kansas or Utah? Or is it a mix? I'm a native but these questions seem to be in eternal limbo as though they are too consequential to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.