Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Denver is NOT the same thing as Boulder.
That's for sure. Boulder is to Denver as:
Ann Arbor is to Detroit,
Madison is to Milwaukee, or
Santa Fe is to Albuquerque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 01:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
That's for sure. Boulder is to Denver as:
Ann Arbor is to Detroit,
Madison is to Milwaukee, or
Santa Fe is to Albuquerque
I'm not so sure about that. Boulder is, like it or not, a suburb of Denver. I've only been to AA once and I think that it its situation with Detroit, too. That is not the situation with Madison/Milw. and Santa Fe/Albuquerque. Santa Fe is not a big college town, as the other three are, and is 58 miles from Albuquerque. The U of NM is in Albuquerque. Madison is 77 miles from Milwaukee. (Distances per Rand McNally)

I live in Boulder Co and can speak more to Boulder/Denver than anywhere else. People live in Denver and work in Boulder and vice versa. Most Boulderites live pretty "normal" lives. Of course, the University of CO gives Boulder a different ambience. That is not all bad. Denver, too, has the huge Auraria campus with Community College of Denver, Metro State and UC-Denver in its midst, plus the U of Denver and the CU Health Science Center. My point is there are a lot of college age students in Denver as well.

I am a member of "reality" as well and I can tell you it exists in Boulder just as it does in Denver of any of the other suburbs.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 PM

353 posts, read 503,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post

I am a member of "reality" as well and I can tell you it exists in Boulder just as it does in Denver of any of the other suburbs.
Let's not get crazy, now!

Face it, Boulder is seen by most Coloradans as a quaint, beautiful, expensive freak show. There is not enough space on the Internet to cite the differences between Boulder and Denver. But make no mistake, they are vast and wide.

Boulder is technically part of the Denver msa. But the similarities end there. Geographically they may be quite close. Culturally? Different planet.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
There is not enough space on the Internet to cite the differences between Boulder and Denver.
Perhaps you could give us just a few examples. And I am not "crazy".

Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Default Boulder

Quote:
Perhaps you could give us just a few examples. And I am not "crazy".
Rawlings must be using the usual sterotypes to classify Boulder as being completely different from the Denver metro. Yes, Boulder has some differences but their is quite a few normal people as well when I visited the city. However, the real estate prices are very high in Boulder as well because of the strict urban planning that exists in the city. Boulder is like most other college towns with many differing types of people.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 PM

739 posts, read 2,948,837 times
Maybe comparing boulder to lakewood or parker there are a lot of "differences" (I'm sure God fearing, lots of kids and conservative are a few)

But between Boulder and Denver (the city of...) .. umm not so much.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:52 PM

I agree with you, Plains10. I have lived in Boulder county for about 25 yrs, and believe me, we eat, work and sleep like everyone else. Some even work in Denver, and lots of people live in Denver and work in Boulder. So if Boulder is wierd, Denver is contributing to it! And the churches are usually full come Sunday morning, though there are no non-dom mega churches right in the city (though there are in the County).

Yes, the housing is high, but there are nice areas right outside that are as affordable as comparable Denver suburbs. And I will say, the urban planning, which I sometimes ridicule myself, has left a little open space around the county.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-09-2007 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Rawlings must be using the usual sterotypes to classify Boulder as being completely different from the Denver metro. Yes, Boulder has some differences but their is quite a few normal people as well when I visited the city. However, the real estate prices are very high in Boulder as well because of the strict urban planning that exists in the city. Boulder is like most other college towns with many differing types of people.

Honest to goodness, folks!

Boulder is very different from Denver. It is unique, fun, and wholly interesting precisely because it is so different from really anything else in the state. Different people, different city...just DIFFERENT.

I honestly wonder where a lot you people get your ideas. The guy who mentioned Boulder to Colorado as Austin is to Texas was right on. Why can't you guys accept that. I wonder if you really believe what you do--or you're just trying to contradict me. It's getting awfully silly.

Boulder is dramatically different from Denver. I'm sorry if that fact doesn't 'work' for you.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Rawlings:
Quote:
I honestly wonder where a lot you people get your ideas
I have gotten mine from living in Boulder Co for 25 yrs. When we first moved here, there wasn't much shopping, etc outside of Boulder, so we went there a lot. Now, there is quite a bit more retail, dr's offices and other services here in the east Co. so we don't go to Boulder much for that. But we do go to Boulder for church almost every week; I have worked in Boulder and DH currently works in Boulder; sometimes we go to Boulder for entertainment (restaurants, plays, etc).

Quote:
I'm sorry if that fact doesn't 'work' for you.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-09-2007 at 04:50 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Rawlings:
I have gotten mine from living in Boulder Co for 25 yrs. When we first moved here, there wasn't much shopping, etc outside of Boulder, so we went there a lot. Now, there is quite a bit more retail, dr's offices and other services here in the east Co. so we don't go to Boulder much for that. But we do go to Boulder for church almost every week; I have worked in Boulder and DH currently works in Boulder; sometimes we go to Boulder for entertainment (restaurants, plays, etc).
Hey, if you're hot for the People's Republic, then have at it. It's your's!

But here in the metro area we DO NOT claim Boulder. Don't put that on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.