Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,477,613 times

Advertisements

Survey finds average price of regular unleaded gasoline rose to $2.87 per gallon over last two weeks, even higher prices seen ahead of summer driving season.
April 22 2007: 4:26 PM EDT

(CNN) -- Gas prices rose more than eight cents in the past two weeks to a national average of $2.87 per gallon of self-serve regular -- and are expected to further rise -- according to a national survey released on Sunday.

That marks a rise of 69 cents at the pump since late January, Trilby Lundberg, publisher of "Lundberg Survey," said. The "Lundberg Survey" tallies gas prices every two to three weeks at about 5,000 gas stations.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/22/news...ion=2007042216
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,414,286 times
Well, no extra trips for me! Wonder if people will finally quit buying all those huge trucks, LOL? Guess it has to hit $5 a gallon before that happens...

Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 AM

653 posts, read 3,403,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Well, no extra trips for me! Wonder if people will finally quit buying all those huge trucks, LOL? Guess it has to hit $5 a gallon before that happens...
AND-----It's just a matter of TIME, before it does hit $5 a gallon or MORE. The days of "Cheap" gas is most likely over. So many people, however, still in denial in regards to this. Not Me!! Our wasteful ways as a nation in general, will at some point come "Full Circle" and give us a bite in the rear, we won't soon forget!! Just a matter of time.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,312,007 times
Actually a lot of people would save themselves a lot of $$ if they would just keep their foot light on that pedal. Most people here in IL go as fast as they can legally get away with. Don't they notice that if they would go the speed limit (or ONLY 5 miles above!) they cut fuel consumption? folks just don't care... they would rather complain about the price of gas.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,965,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Actually a lot of people would save themselves a lot of $$ if they would just keep their foot light on that pedal. Most people here in IL go as fast as they can legally get away with. Don't they notice that if they would go the speed limit (or ONLY 5 miles above!) they cut fuel consumption? folks just don't care... they would rather complain about the price of gas.
I think because for most vehicles you cannot see the actual, current MPG you're getting, it would be impossible to convince the majority of drivers that this is a real concept.

When I had a truck with a digital readout of current MPG, I could see immediate feedback: "65 mph highway=22mpg vs 80 mph highway=17mpg".

Light vs heavy foot with my truck resulted in significant fuel cost savings but the reality was that once I started using a fuel efficient car instead, I more than halved the cost of fuel even with a heavy foot.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 AM

942 posts, read 1,385,397 times
Alot of people would save alot of fuel, if they would face up to the fact, the world has changed and is in serious trouble, We cannot just drive around and around all day long and expect it to be ok. If the price of gas is not severely hurting many, the sitting in the ridiculous traffic, miles of bumper to bumper traffic, why hasn't the light bulb gone on in peoples head to make their life better and find their own personal solutions, The gov't isn't going to do it for you. Many are going to have to get their act together and move closer to jobs, or get one that is closer to their homes, They are going to have to learn to walk, or live where they can walk. This is not just a sudden raise in gas prices over and over, something is wrong here, and it would just take one small episode of the 1970's gas shortages to cripple us this time around. It was not fun back then trying to get gas in mile long lines, or no gas stations opened on sundays, and then the rationing of single odd days to buy gas. If this went on today, there obviously would be shootings left and right at stations by people desperate for gas, I don't want to live thru that, and neither should anyone else.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,488,124 times
Default $4 a gallon

A prediction of $4 a gallon, if this happens I think we will see more bicycles on the road...lol...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=afOlUzd30YOo

Old 04-23-2007, 01:59 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,414,286 times
Sounds great to me, the bicycles... that would make things a LOT quieter around here, LOL....
Seriously, I only need about one tank a month and sometimes less than that, so I am lucky.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 29,563 times
You guys don't know what expensive gas is - it's been around $4 a gallon here in the Toronto area for over a year now.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 AM

653 posts, read 3,403,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Alot of people would save alot of fuel, if they would face up to the fact, the world has changed and is in serious trouble, We cannot just drive around and around all day long and expect it to be ok. If the price of gas is not severely hurting many, the sitting in the ridiculous traffic, miles of bumper to bumper traffic, why hasn't the light bulb gone on in peoples head to make their life better and find their own personal solutions, The gov't isn't going to do it for you. Many are going to have to get their act together and move closer to jobs, or get one that is closer to their homes, They are going to have to learn to walk, or live where they can walk. This is not just a sudden raise in gas prices over and over, something is wrong here, and it would just take one small episode of the 1970's gas shortages to cripple us this time around. It was not fun back then trying to get gas in mile long lines, or no gas stations opened on sundays, and then the rationing of single odd days to buy gas. If this went on today, there obviously would be shootings left and right at stations by people desperate for gas, I don't want to live thru that, and neither should anyone else.
AND yet so many people keep buying poor mileage SUVs and trucks. It is sad, but so many folks still Don't "Get It". These people I speak of seem to have the skewed belief that for whatever reason-we have an inherient 'Right"--to cheap gas. We don't, and in reality the oil companies can make whatever profits they desire. When gas does hit $5 bucks a gallon, maybe all of us will see the benefits of driving high mileage vehicles, utilizing public transit more, and changing our wasteful ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.