U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 PM

11 posts, read 23,302 times

Advertisements

Hi..All, I am an Indian enterprenuer planing to start a small business in USA begining of 2010. I wish to get help on zeroing on location where to move as USA is too big and can get difficult to knw, where to begin. Our Business interest will be looking into supplying in industries in Pharmaceuticals, Chemicals and Cold Chain. So, need to find location where I can move in with following...

-I will be with family two young children, so good schools is desirable,
-Do not look to stay in city - too crowded, but not too isolated too
-Easy transition and acceptability for an Indian family in neighberhood.
-Good availablility of Indian food and eatery.
-Not too harsh winter,

Basically, where I can raise family without much edo, can start working with bit of less travelling (if there are any industrial zones), and quite little place.

My renting and relocating budget will be modest not too high but not too poor either.

So folks, do lemme knw, Western or Eastern or Middle or Southern USA and ne specific locations to start looking at.

Tx

Snehal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 AM

598 posts, read 1,521,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnehal View Post
Hi..All, I am an Indian enterprenuer planing to start a small business in USA begining of 2010. I wish to get help on zeroing on location where to move as USA is too big and can get difficult to knw, where to begin. Our Business interest will be looking into supplying in industries in Pharmaceuticals, Chemicals and Cold Chain. So, need to find location where I can move in with following...

-Not too harsh winter,

Basically, where I can raise family without much edo, can start working with bit of less travelling (if there are any industrial zones), and quite little place.

My renting and relocating budget will be modest not too high but not too poor either.

So folks, do lemme knw, Western or Eastern or Middle or Southern USA and ne specific locations to start looking at.

Tx

Snehal
Hi Snehal, welcome! There are a lot of places to look at. I'm going to steer you toward a place I know well and think you would fit in well there. The place is Chapel Hill, NC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_hill,_nc

It's a college town, home of the University of North Carolina. The university is one of the best in the US and attracts students from all over the US and the world. The Chapel Hill community is well educated and diverse.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill is a beautiful town, with all the amenities of a much larger city in a smaller town environment.
http://www.john-zhu.com/blog/wp-cont...lin-street.jpg
http://www.publicpolicy.unc.edu/files/aerial2.jpg (broken link)

Chapel Hill offers FREE bus service which is great, and makes getting around town without driving a nice option...especially for kids.
http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.aspx?page=700

Chapel Hill is also quite safe, a nice thing to have when you have children/family. There is very little violent crime and most crimes are college campus oriented
such as stolen bicycles, etc.

There are 4 Indian restaurants in Chapel Hill alone, even more if you add neighboring towns.
Search Results - Discover Things To Do - Triangle.com
I like India Palace a lot, it's been there for many years.

The public schools are excellent and rated amongst the highest in the US. The student population is diverse and welcoming to newcomers.About the District - Who We Are

The area features an ideal four season climate without the extremes of any of the seasons. Average Weather for Chapel Hill, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

Rents in the area are fairly modest when compared to other places with a high quality of life.
Convenient location on Homestead Rd. (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/1296714761.html - broken link)
Village West - TH just minutes to downtown CH, UNC (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/1291946602.html - broken link)
254 Brookberry Circle- nice 3BR in Finley Forest (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/1288195669.html - broken link)
Beautiful 3BR 3 BA -202B Garden St nr Bl Cross-Bl S, UNC, I40 (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/1284276975.html - broken link)

The area is home to many high tech industries and would be a great fit for your business.
The Research Triangle Park
http://www.rtp.org/files/Maps/2008_rtp_map_alpha_081408.pdf (broken link)

If I can help answer any more questions, feel free to message me here.

Good luck!

Last edited by niceguy19125; 07-31-2009 at 06:21 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 AM

259 posts, read 323,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnehal View Post

-Not too harsh winter,

Tx

Snehal

Eastern Pennsylvania near the New Jersey border or New Jersey will put you close the heart or the US Pharmaceutical industry. I mentioned Pennsylvania because you will find less expensive housing.

You will probably find a strong Indian community in NJ but there are quite a few in the Philadelphia area.

Check some of the Indian Internet sites and try to make some connection, that way you will get good information about the communities.

New Jersey Indian Associations - New Jersey Indian Community Guide

India Newspaper Headlines Indian News headlines @IndiaGrid.com Indian newspapers headlines India

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,741,043 times
I would recommend New Jersey, it would put you in the middle of the Northeastern idustrial zone and is a great place to raise a family.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,536,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
Eastern Pennsylvania near the New Jersey border or New Jersey will put you close the heart or the US Pharmaceutical industry. I mentioned Pennsylvania because you will find less expensive housing.

You will probably find a strong Indian community in NJ but there are quite a few in the Philadelphia area.

Check some of the Indian Internet sites and try to make some connection, that way you will get good information about the communities.

New Jersey Indian Associations - New Jersey Indian Community Guide

India Newspaper Headlines Indian News headlines @IndiaGrid.com Indian newspapers headlines India
I think this is an excellent suggestion (Eastern PA).. You would be near the pharma industry and still be able to live relatively cheaply. It's also very pretty there.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM

598 posts, read 1,521,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I would recommend New Jersey, it would put you in the middle of the Northeastern idustrial zone and is a great place to raise a family.
In the OP, a modest budget and not harsh winters were a request. The Philadelphia area and most of New Jersey aren't exactly fit for those on a modest budget. The winters here though while not snow intensive, are quite cold and quite long.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,536,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
In the OP, a modest budget and not harsh winters were a request. The Philadelphia area and most of New Jersey aren't exactly fit for those on a modest budget. The winters here though while not snow intensive, are quite cold and quite long.
True. There is a lot of fantastic Indian food and the winters here in the DFW are mild (can get quite cold at times; below zero), but this area has 6.5 million people or I would have suggested DFW.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM

500 posts, read 1,255,205 times
Quote:
I wouldn't consider it too long. Three months are just about right to me. *shrugs*

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM

259 posts, read 323,513 times
Quote:

Thats why I suggested eastern PA. How long would you say the winters are in PA?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 62,854 times
Fremont ,California huge indian pop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.