U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,877,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post

Working with many die-hard Cubs fans, you'd think they'd be as agitated as us in Philly. .
That is because they are all drunk and too blurry-eyed to see the scoreboard

(Sox fan)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,371,277 times
I hate where I live now. I grew up not entirely too far from here, had been away for quite some time, bouncing across the country and was forced to move back due to a family situation that I'd rather not get into. The issue was resolved in sorts, but I had accumulated massive bills on my heap of trash of a car and therefore could not financially afford to leave. I have been here now for 1.5 years. I could've left six months ago, but wanted an even bigger financial cushion. I will be moving out of my current location in around five weeks. If I get offered an incredible job in DC, I will consider staying, but if I do so, will move much closer in to the city if not in the city itself as these far-flung suburbs are NOT for me. However, it would take one hell of a job to keep me even in the general DC area for much longer. I've done my time.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,783,542 times
Well, I hate that it's all but impossible here to 'have a life' without 2 people working full time (not everyone has a reliable babysitter so what do you do? Even family 'isn't interested' in helping yet they 'tut-tut' about how 'lazy' you are...).

I don't mind moving and starting over and putting my nose to the grindstone, maybe working different shifts than my husband to keep an eye on our son but it has to be FOR SOMETHING.

Even if we BOTH work here, we cannot afford a home of our own, two cars, and all those 'normal' things.

I think 90% of people on LI are either deeply, deeply in debt or doing something illegal to afford the 'regular lifestyle.' Not everyone makes $100,000 a year...

So, yeah, I hate it here, and every time we come back I could kick myself or my husband (we've moved 2 times before). Next time it's it..we've made a pact..no more coming back to Long Island.

I am sure the OP will find his/her way out eventually. Meanwhile all I can say is maybe if you joined something or volunteered in your area you might feel better about your situation. I regret when we moved the first time I wasted my time being annoyed about things..I should have used my talents volunteering and 'networking.'

Old 04-25-2007, 06:12 AM

504 posts, read 1,643,353 times
I moved back to Florida in 1979 and found my self stuck and have been since, I hate it, have hated it and resent that I have had to stay. I should have left as soon as I came back,I originally used financial reasons for an excuse and then life happens and you can't leave.
If you are healthy and can work go to where you want to live now, don't let life take you by the short hairs and get trapped. Follow your dreams.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,480,042 times
In similar fashion, I am stuck where I am. For now. My husband made the right decision when he was barely out of high school.. he found a way to get out of his sleepy little suburban town and lived in many new places. Then he came to where I was and we both got stuck..

Admittedly, some of our stuckness is our own fault..

I have always wanted to get out of Michigan. I even went so far as interviewing in SC when I had an opportunity, but that job wasn't for me. I have spent so many hours dreaming of places I would rather be. Don't get me wrong, MI is beautiful. But, I am ready to treat her as a vacation spot rather than a residence. Most of my motivation is based on quickly declining relations with my own family - the ones we stuck around for to begin with - and I am ready to move on with my own life.

We're stuck right now because we started our own business due to the layoffs we both experienced. We have a good clientele started; if we were to leave, we would be throwing away all that we've worked for over the past 4 months. Husband isn't ready to do that. We originally stayed in the area because we both had good jobs that were suppose to go nowhere and I didn't want to leave my family as some members were experiencing hard times. We purchased acreage. Now, we are living week to week until our business gets bigger. Our house building has been put on indefinite hold. Lord knows we would lose our butts if we tried to sell our land right now; nothing is selling. Amazing how everything changes in a year's time. We could afford to pick up, move to another state and never look back if we borrowed the money; but, we'd be paying that back for a long time. Would it be worth it?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:46 AM

341 posts, read 1,369,747 times
My hubbys company dumped us into the Louisville area and YUCK! Don't even get me started! Let's just say I'll be happy to get back into the CURRENT century. We've bid to get out out out! Call me too modern, but I definitely prefer progress, people with teeth, a grip on the human language, non-hazey non-buggy air and no trailors.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:20 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,802,413 times
Lightbulb lol-

[quote=GypsySoul22;623466]Well, I hate that it's all but impossible here to 'have a life' without 2 people working full time (not everyone has a reliable babysitter so what do you do? Even family 'isn't interested' in helping yet they 'tut-tut' about how 'lazy' you are...).

I don't mind moving and starting over and putting my nose to the grindstone, maybe working different shifts than my husband to keep an eye on our son but it has to be FOR SOMETHING.

Even if we BOTH work here, we cannot afford a home of our own, two cars, and all those 'normal' things.

I think 90% of people on LI are either deeply, deeply in debt or doing something illegal to afford the 'regular lifestyle.' Not everyone makes $100,000 a year...

So, yeah, I hate it here, and every time we come back I could kick myself or my husband (we've moved 2 times before). Next time it's it..we've made a pact..no more coming back to Long Island.

Long Island - yet everyone acts as though they are making it- my gf who hasnt held a real job in 15 yrs (husband is an attorney and at age 57 still struggling) but drives her Mercedes and lives by the water ( - a shack on a canal) Their mortgage is 900k and they have no yard.

NYC is one thing-but LI to me is a cultural wasteland. I would never go back. I also like at least an acre-so I dont have to see my neighbor at the mailbox everyday!

s

Old 04-27-2007, 10:48 AM

378 posts, read 1,103,719 times
Only one place have I truly absolutely hated; Las Vegas. What ever possessed us to move there I will never understand. It sounded like it might be a fun place, lots of things going on, etc. It was awful. I worked at the airport and loved my job, yet one day I got off work, took the employee jitney to the employee's parking lot, unlocked and opened the door, stood before entering for 10 minutes so the constant wind could empty the heat from the vehicle, finally got in and sat on the blistering hot seat, and burst into tears. When I got home I asked my partner if he liked it there and he said , "No, but I thought you did so never said anything." We immediately sold and left. I still visibly shudder when I think about the place!

Other than Vegas, I have liked everywhere.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,219,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
I worked at the airport and loved my job, yet one day I got off work, took the employee jitney to the employee's parking lot, unlocked and opened the door, stood before entering for 10 minutes so the constant wind could empty the heat from the vehicle, finally got in and sat on the blistering hot seat, and burst into tears. When I got home I asked my partner if he liked it there and he said , "No, but I thought you did so never said anything." We immediately sold and left. I still visibly shudder when I think about the place!
Wow that sounds nice and short and sweet! Unfortunately it's taken me a little more than 10 minutes and some heat to decide I hate this place,been suffering with cramped conditions,crazy people,unbelievable crime etc etc for almost 4 years! What you did sounds like walking off a job in comparison,I'd love to have your life!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM

93 posts, read 309,424 times
I moved to the D.C. area from Houston. I don't hate my hometown but I want to experience the life outside of Houston (TX period!) I'm 27, no kids, single, and have a few friends in the D.C. area. I pretty much just packed and moved up here w/out a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or