U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 24,186 times

Advertisements

How much money did you have saved when you left?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM

94 posts, read 309,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah7 View Post
How much money did you have saved when you left?
I probably had about 1k. My friends offered a room for me to stay and helped me out a lot!!! So I didn't do this all by myself.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:41 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,215,630 times
I did the same thing when I left NJ for VA,had about $2000 and just winged it.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,323,347 times
Default Stuck In Philly

StuckPA, I know how you feel. When I first got married, I wanted to buy a home outside the city (Bensalem). I could see the good-paying jobs were leaving the city, house prices skyrocketting, taxes & crime going up, school scores going down, etc. At the time, houses in Bensalem were still affordable & jobs seemed to be heading in that direction (Bucks Cty). But my husband & I grew up in the Manayunk/Roxborough area & he wanted to stay. Well, he lost his job a year after we bought our house & we went deep into hock. After almost 2 years, he got another job but it doesn't pay as well. In the meantime, I lost my job b/c the owners sold their business & the new owners went under. I'm still not working after 5 years. After almost 8 years we're still in debt (although not as bad). We thought we were finally getting back on the road to solvency(?) when my husband found out this past January that his place is closing (maybe by years-end). It looks like the only way we'll be able to get out of debt is to sell our home & move into an apt., which I don't want to do. All the time I look at selling our home & buying a house in rural KY where house prices are much more affordable. I tell my hubby he could get a decent-paying job @ the Toyota plant. Guess what? He doesn't want to move from Philly. I'm so tired of explaining to him how much I don't like living here - it's too expensive, there are no jobs, the schools are crappy & the students are violent, even this area of the city is crime-ridden except there hasn't been a murder in a couple of years (unlike some areas of the city). And, since our neighborhood has gentrified, the newcomers from the 'burbs want us out. They don't care if we're not like the white trash that used to live here; we're ALL white trash. And we don't fit in with the white trash that still hangs on; we take care of our property, work everyday, don't sell drugs from our front door, don't get drunk or high & fight with our relatives out on the street, etc. As much as we try to fit in with our good neighbors, they don't hesitate to remind us that we'll never be like them. And when we get offended that we're all lumped together as white trash, they say they're only kidding & we can't take a joke. But I still feel an underlying hostility(?) there. I just hope that one day we hit the lottery for just enough money to make moving out more financially-feasible so my hubby won't have that as excuse to stay here any longer.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Yes see you are one of the very few that can understand my situation. I've been saying these things throughout various local forums and I get alot of 'you whine too much just get out' and things like that. Well I guess most people do not bother to try and see it from my angle unless they've actually benn through it themselves,it's not that easy when you have others to consider. Believe me my way of life used to be pretty much a free spirit,come and go as I pleased. Well at some point in life most people will have to face new things,and that I did.
Unfortunately as well my wife cannot or will not look at the big picture,there are plenty of better areas that are more conducive to a better lifestyle for us but for whatever reasons(attached to her family,unfamiliar with other areas,etc)she will not concede. And I also am pretty much praying for a jackpot of some sort to give us options because obviously living here does eat up alot of the money we could be saving simply by giving up the 'city convenience'. I mean she's got a child also so what exactly are her reasons for having to live right in the city? We'd probably be considered more 'family oriented' at this point than 'business' or swinging singles that like or need to live right in the city.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Angry Excuses,excuses

I hear ya'. I cannot get my hubby to budge. At first his excuse was that his family still lived here & he didn't want to leave them behind. Well, they all married & moved to the 'burbs to raise their families. Then his excuse was that we don't drive so we won't be able to get jobs or do our shopping like we do now (the supermarkets are only a couple of blocks from us). But I said to him we can learn to drive. But he countered with we couldn't afford a car or the insurance; which I then said to him we could if we lived outside the city. Now his excuse is that we can't afford a house. But I feel if we got enough for our present home, it would make a nice down payment on a new house. It's like banging my head against a wall. I already told him we are not having children until we move out of the city. I don't want to have kids only to have them taken from us by the violence in school or just on their way to or from school. I know that no child is safe everywhere but there is a greater instance of that happening in Philly (that's why it's now being called Killadelphia). And we're not getting any younger - we're already in our early 40's. So I guess having any children will not be in our future.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 AM

I dunno,maybe it's that city thing that gets in their blood and they become an excuse machine. I get those same type things and I'm not sure whether anything will get her to go. First she said her job is keeping us here,of course there's nowhere else in the country where she could get another $40k a year job no way Then 'oh my mother is here and I have to watch over her(not like she doesn't always have relatives over all the time,but in supposedly such a close family no one would come to her aid if something happened.Maybe they should call it the city of conditional brotherly love).
I got the driving thing also,I drive she doesn't and she supposedly never wants to have to drive.
It's sad that they hang onto their city pride even as far as a life decision such as having children,it's like we're sacrificing major things in life to be with these people! I've been told by nearly everyone to just leave,but good ol' me not wanting to wreck their life by leaving either.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:43 PM

My hubby tells me to leave all the time to find a place where we can settle & to find jobs. But I know he wouldn't follow me if I did. And to me it's not worth divorcing him over.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,792,817 times
Lightbulb to both-

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Yes see you are one of the very few that can understand my situation. I've been saying these things throughout various local forums and I get alot of 'you whine too much just get out' and things like that. Well I guess most people do not bother to try and see it from my angle unless they've actually benn through it themselves,it's not that easy when you have others to consider. Believe me my way of life used to be pretty much a free spirit,come and go as I pleased. Well at some point in life most people will have to face new things,and that I did.
Unfortunately as well my wife cannot or will not look at the big picture,there are plenty of better areas that are more conducive to a better lifestyle for us but for whatever reasons(attached to her family,unfamiliar with other areas,etc)she will not concede. And I also am pretty much praying for a jackpot of some sort to give us options because obviously living here does eat up alot of the money we could be saving simply by giving up the 'city convenience'. I mean she's got a child also so what exactly are her reasons for having to live right in the city? We'd probably be considered more 'family oriented' at this point than 'business' or swinging singles that like or need to live right in the city.

I can relate. It sounds like- in your case she is in her comfort zone- even if its not great- some people hate/are afraid of moving.

I was interested in MM's post about Manayunk- is the economy bad there now? If you are considering a move to Kentucky- you may want to check out the area first-it is isolating- nice country and all- but if you are having marriage issues- they will become MORE evident if you live in the suburbs. Its just my 2 cents, but we are going through something like "cabin fever"" (of course my marriage had some ""issues"") but all I am saying is if everyone is busy, in the city, etc., it makes a difference. Kentucky and Tennessee, while you can probably get a nice house, have other problem issues. Hope this helps.

sunny

Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,156,122 times
Right now, I'm in rural Kentucky.
I loved Tucson, but yes I do like this, too...

It's a great place to be, IF you have a good job, because the economy here isn't exactly booming.
But if you've got work, then it's all good.

We are way far out in the country. It's nice here. So far out, we can't get a cell phone signal. LOL.
I do like it.

Kentucky isn't a racist state. People are people wherever you go...what's that old saying, about the people in the town where you left are the same as the people in the town you're moving to...
It's nice here.

The main "downsides" to KY, as I see it, is:

* economy (not booming - jobs are scarce)
* hot, humid summers

Those are the main two things. Other than that, it's all good....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or