U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,208,735 times

Advertisements

I have a general question about living arrangements-
Have you ever had to live in an area in which you just hated? If so how did you end up there,how long did you have to stay and how if at all were you finally able to get out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 AM

331 posts, read 1,483,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Have you ever had to live in an area in which you just hated? If so how did you end up there,how long did you have to stay and how if at all were you finally able to get out?
Yes, twice.

First instance, I became an adult and could move out of mom and dad's house (nothing wrong with mom and dad themselves, I just didn't like the area. I suspect it's sort of "normal" for young people to dislike where they grow up and want to move on . . . )

Second instance, I was transferred there for work and as soon as I could, I got a job elsewhere.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 AM

673 posts, read 3,752,788 times
I havent moved yet, but I am living in a town which I do not like now!!

I do not like Lincoln, Nebraska at all and hopefully moving to a larger, more urban state like Ohio this summer.

Ive been in Lincoln 8 months and hopefully moving July or August. All I can say is I made a big mistake of moving there.

In my opinion the best way to cope with living in a very unappealing place is just laugh at it.

Guess living in Lincoln has made me thankful that I am gay because so many people in this town have 3+ babies by the time they are my age (all be 25 in July). Lincolnites have very deep, absolueist religious convictions (Its alot of like rural Utah) and they believe in marriage by (early 20s) and having lots of babies.

I just have to laugh it off and have a sense of humor and look at the positives of the situation. It can get stressful alot of the time because people here will stare because they think its bizzare and unfathomable that anyone could be single at my age.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I do not like Lincoln, Nebraska at all and hopefully moving to a larger, more urban state like Ohio this summer.

Ive been in Lincoln 8 months and hopefully moving July or August. All I can say is I made a big mistake of moving there.

I think the best way to cope with living in a very unappealing place is just laugh at it.

I guess living in Lincoln has made me thankful that I am gay because so many people in this town have 3+ babies by the time they are my age (all be 25 in July). Lincolnites have very deep, absolueist religious convictions (Its alot of like Utah) and they believe in marriage by (early 20s) and having lots of babies.

I just have to laugh it off and have a sense of humor and look at the positives of the situation. It can get stressful alot of the time because people here will stare because they think its bizzare and unfathomable that anyone could be single at my age.
I went through that experience when I was 21 and moved to small town eastern PA. Everyone had babies young and it wasn't exactly a singles hotbed. I did look at that place as strange but don't have nearly the anger towards that area I have now where I currently am. I suppose you can laugh most things off when you're early 20s but less in mid 30s,combined with the fact that some things can get worse. But that makes us appreciate what we may have thought was so bad before.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,179,704 times
You have my sympathies - How awful. Personally, and I should mind my own business, but today I won't. When I go to an area that, in my mind, is overly religious and young couples are procreating like rabbits - it makes me very uneasy. They may be the nicest people in the world and I believe that they are and I do not knock their lifestyle - it just isn't my lifestyle.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,597,944 times
Heh, I'm in that situation now. The only reason I stay is because I have a decent job and I want to pay off my credit cards before I move. After my debt is taken care of, I'm out!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,189,513 times
Family's what brought me back here (NE Phila burbs), family only, and I hate the area even more than I did before. Having lived in places I'd loved so much make it even harder this time. It's just too gloomy. And nobody seems to remotely care or take pride in their work or anything in this town, just blah. Got very spoiled with great workplaces in other regions but only got burnt here in the past, so am a homemaker for now (first time ever) until I find a job with a long commute to another county, or travel again.

Philly can, indeed, be depressing. Maybe one of the sports teams will win someday and help the self esteem.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 AM

15,595 posts, read 35,282,360 times
Well I moved to the big city for a construction job once (ok not big...it was Anchorage), but having come from a rural life I could not stand it. First paycheck I thanked my employer for the work and left. Maybe living in a camper had something to do with it.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,777,641 times
Smile yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I hate LI. Literally hated it.
Saved and moved as soon as I was able. Saw alot of people who live there for generations, just because it seemed the easy way.

It isnt always easy to plan a move, but its worth it. Life is too short to stay in the same place!

sunny

Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Saw alot of people who live there for generations, just because it seemed the easy way.

It isnt always easy to plan a move, but its worth it. Life is too short to stay in the same place!
No one knows more than me,that's why I feel stuck here. I've moved a number of times before and now due to financial/relationship situations I'm pretty much on a shortleash and feel like a caged animal at times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or