Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yep, that is West Michigan alright! I don't hear "Fargo" in there though Must be too close to home to catch it. (That video was shot an hour south of me)
Yeah, it's about an hour north of me. This is how we talk around here, too. I don't hear the accent, but then I live in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Click here for video: Local - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

The Central NY accent is quite similar to Michigan's, except it sounds less "Fargo"-ish. (No, Michigan speakers don't sound just like they're from "Fargo," only slightly)

In Western NY they talk just a little different from CNY. A little more like Ohioans.

This is a map of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, a particular kind of American accent group which shows that people in these areas have many things about their accents in common:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...owel_Shift.svg

(I salute my Michigan brothers and sisters in "flat A-ness")
Yup, I can definitely hear a few similarities between Michigan and Central NY speech!

Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yep, that is West Michigan alright! I don't hear "Fargo" in there though Must be too close to home to catch it. (That video was shot an hour south of me)
I'm from Fargo and that sounds more like how we talk then the so called movie that wasn't even filmed in Fargo.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

Fargo? Are you serious?
Oh, I'm sure it ain't that bad, LOL! Apologies if the comparison is offensive to you.

To my ear, it reminds me of the movie, but I'm sure that if I was from Michigan I would be able to tell the difference from a North Dakotan accent and someone from Meee--shigan.

I think it works the same way with folks not from the South. I lived on the West coast and was asked a few times if I was from Alabama. I'm an Okie...and I would just crack up when people asked me that. I know I definitely have a Southern sounding accent (more twangy), it would not be as "drawly" as a native Alabaman, however.

Those of us in different subregions of the South know the differences (just like you can probably notice subtle differences in accents/speech patterns from folks in diverse areas of the Upper Midwest) in our accents, while still acknowledging the greater/overarching similarities of a Southern accent.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
Sounds like a Norwegian/Swedish accent to me. I'd be surprised if everyone from that area spoke like that.
I am pretty sure he is mocking some of the old timers from the area that still talk like that.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Does anyone hear any accents from these people in Hobbs,New Mexico?
I just want to see if people can guess what it is or what it sounds like.

YouTube - Tinsley Town Hall Challenge

YouTube - Harry Teague on Values

YouTube - Steve Pearce: We Can Do Better and We Deserve Better

YouTube - Lt. Gov. Denish Visits the 2009 UNM Sustainability Expo

now all these people probably wernt even born here but it is common of what you will usually here in these towns.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

YouTube - Brian Urlacher: “Something Special”

or this one from Lovington,NM

Old 08-02-2009, 06:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
californians pronounce some words the same as that guy, but the thing with stereotypes is that they assume that people speaking that accent ACT like that. I think thats really what upsets people. Typical Californians that I have heard who speak that sort of accent do not use unintelligble slang and are certainly a lot more intelligent than that guy. They do, however, have the same overall tone to their voice but it is more subtle usually.
The only Californians I've ever met in my entire life of living in the state who have that tone are surfers. Most southern Californians talk as people do on TV.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Our daughter was born and raised in the Fort Worth area and she sounds like she's from New York.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Sounds similar to a Texan accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.