Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has "the South" lost its slow-pace way of living?
Yes 52 46.43%
No 60 53.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times

Advertisements

lol.

first off, ppl don't walk fast in the north because of the crime. if that was the case, ppl in new orleans, baltimore, south charleston, etc. would walk faster than anyone anywhere else in the country.

we walk fast because we have things to do. places to go. we walk fast because (IMHO) we are healthier. we come from a culture where we have to walk from point a to point b. you have to walk from your apartment to take the train to walk from the train station to wherever you have to go. its that simple.

in the south, ppl walk from their driveway to a car. they push a gas pedal from point a to point b. they walk from the parking lot to a building.

i dunno, thats how i feel anyway. its not entirely up to just that because you have to get everywhere using a car in los angeles, as well...but i would think that they would be faster than ppl in the south because of how urban parts of cali are.

lastly, although staten island is somewhat isolated from the rest of nyc, they are not as slow as ppl in north dakota. come on, now. ppl in staten island go to the city to work just like anybody else in any other borough. they just get there a different way. same as a lot of ppl in long island. matter of fact, queens and bk are on long island. while long island is completely different IMO than queens and bk, they are not comparable to north or south dakota as far as way of life, walking speed, etc.

lol at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:38 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lol.

first off, ppl don't walk fast in the north because of the crime. if that was the case, ppl in new orleans, baltimore, south charleston, etc. would walk faster than anyone anywhere else in the country.

we walk fast because we have things to do. places to go. we walk fast because (IMHO) we are healthier. we come from a culture where we have to walk from point a to point b. you have to walk from your apartment to take the train to walk from the train station to wherever you have to go. its that simple.

in the south, ppl walk from their driveway to a car. they push a gas pedal from point a to point b. they walk from the parking lot to a building.

i dunno, thats how i feel anyway. its not entirely up to just that because you have to get everywhere using a car in los angeles, as well...but i would think that they would be faster than ppl in the south because of how urban parts of cali are.

lastly, although staten island is somewhat isolated from the rest of nyc, they are not as slow as ppl in north dakota. come on, now. ppl in staten island go to the city to work just like anybody else in any other borough. they just get there a different way. same as a lot of ppl in long island. matter of fact, queens and bk are on long island. while long island is completely different IMO than queens and bk, they are not comparable to north or south dakota as far as way of life, walking speed, etc.

lol at that.

Excellent points!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lol.

lol at that.

I know this post is a year old, but it still applies. I am from a big city where I have had to do all that (i.e. walk from point a to point b.) Down here, people will use their vehicles to go a distance of 100 feet (estimated.) However, I am beginning to notice a change big time (not by northerners.) From my personal experience, I would say ppl. rush a lot more down here than several places I have been to outside the South.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
It's too hot to walk fast here. I like that people stop and talk to you in the stores or in waiting rooms and even in drive-throughs. Even the doctors spend more time talking to you. I went to eastern LI last year after moving away in 1995 and I can't believe I put up with that sullen, rude store and service help for most of my life. The contrast was shock and awe. At the post office, they chat with everyone, here. It's nice. And horn honking is abnormal.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:08 AM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's too hot to walk fast here. I like that people stop and talk to you in the stores or in waiting rooms and even in drive-throughs. Even the doctors spend more time talking to you. I went to eastern LI last year after moving away in 1995 and I can't believe I put up with that sullen, rude store and service help for most of my life. The contrast was shock and awe. At the post office, they chat with everyone, here. It's nice. And horn honking is abnormal.

I don't know where you are at. I live in NC. People here, if anything, seem to rush more than Northern counterparts. Talk about rude (and incompetent) service in businesses, store clerks down here seem to thrive in doing that, and it really makes me sick. It's like these people don't want to deal with you. It's perfectly fine with me b/c they will lose customers and eventually go out of business (what should happen to ALL the businesses down here.) Not to mention that have a crappy selection of merchandise. Thank goodness for the internet.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

The urban parts of the South? Absolutely.
The small towns have to date retained it, IMO. I live in a large Southern city part of the time, and a small Southern community the other. The difference between the two is palpable. Thank God I have the latter to run away to from time to time!

This borders on ignorance, There are pockets of slow life in every region and state in this union. Not really your comment above , but the title of the thread in general.

Take Illinois, one huge city, and the rest of the state is basically rural.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:27 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
I think southern slow paced Vs. northern fast paced is too big of a stereotype from the start.

It's more like Urban Vs. Rural....which can be in any state in any region.

There are parts of upstate NY that are sleepy, rural towns that are slower than, say, Mobile, Alabama.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:59 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Lost the slow pace of living?!?! I can speak for Georgia: In Atlanta...perhaps. But not in Macon, Columbus, Augusta and Albany.
What exactly is "slow paced" living though? I come from a small/medium urban area, Macon, Georgia (97,000 pop, 400, 000 CSA).
I-75 has a pretty heavy traffic flow through the city. Midday, main roads are filled with cars and traffic lights are backed up.
The inner city area is lined with public housing, corner stores, detail shops, etc. The outer more suburban areas are full of cleaner, more decent
looking shopping centers and a more diverse selection of eating establishments.

It's basically like a much smaller version of more famous metro areas with millions of people. I can say the same for Augusta, Savannah, Charleston, Montgomery or pretty much for any other small/medium sized urban area that I've heard as being "slow paced"

Of course these arent major cities, but this isnt exactly what I can consider "slow paced living"

I think of rural towns, I cant really consider many metros as "slow paced"

Old 09-25-2010, 11:32 AM

124 posts, read 326,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I don't know where you are at. I live in NC. People here, if anything, seem to rush more than Northern counterparts. Talk about rude (and incompetent) service in businesses, store clerks down here seem to thrive in doing that, and it really makes me sick. It's like these people don't want to deal with you. It's perfectly fine with me b/c they will lose customers and eventually go out of business (what should happen to ALL the businesses down here.) Not to mention that have a crappy selection of merchandise. Thank goodness for the internet.

I don't know where you live in NC, and why you are on the NC forum and this forum drudging up ancient threads to complain about how much you hate living here... but you're making a general statement about a large state, and your statement simply isn't true. I'm not going to comment on the South= slower pace thing, because that's a stereotype not worth discussing, but your statement about service and stores clerks and businesses in NC really couldn't be further from the truth.

Then again, I've found that if you walk into a business with a smile or generally pleasant look on your face, and maybe throw in a "thank you" now and then, you'll often be treated with politeness... regardless of the geographical location.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:42 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
thats doing too much. ppl should do their jobs adequately.

business in the south (waiting in line, etc.) is slooooooooooow. 2 cashiers (one with a bad attitude and the other trying to tell their life story to the first customer in line) when there are 8 cash registers doesn't help the situation or the stereotype, either.

its like COME ON. ppl have things to do. lets go. you can get more business if you're faster. hit ppl with a hello, thank you, dueces and keep it moving.

that or get a number/twitter page/email/im screen name and keep it moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.