U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2007, 11:29 PM
 
1,486 posts, read 4,028,842 times
Reputation: 496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
However, this is the kind of home I DREAM of (not one of my pictures):



And check out this crazy one... love it!
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...49696153MTmvTs

If I ever get the camera I've been wanting, maybe I can do a tour of Victorian homes.
I love those homes. If I ever hit the jackpot I know where the money is going to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Finally escaped from Philly ;-}
1,182 posts, read 1,322,977 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
However, this is the kind of home I DREAM of (not one of my pictures):



And check out this crazy one... love it!
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...49696153MTmvTs

If I ever get the camera I've been wanting, maybe I can do a tour of Victorian homes.
Gizmo,
You send my heart all aflutter!!!
Silver Springs, MD? My aunt & uncle have lived there for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,208 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Reputation: 15855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If I ever get the camera I've been wanting, maybe I can do a tour of Victorian homes.
Do you really want me to have a cyber-orgasm?! You know how much I drool over the Victorians here in Scranton (one of which will be mine someday, even if I have to kill off an old lady to get it!); just imagine how awesome it would be to see a tour of them from a city known for that type of architecture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Now in Oregon!
378 posts, read 1,103,028 times
Reputation: 308
Gizmo.... That photo of "Rainy Sidewalk and Chinese Shops".... There was actually a parking space AVAILABLE! Good grief! It should be FRAMED!

Just kidding! Great pictures throughout! Lived in San Jose for many years, so got to SF often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
Gizmo,
You send my heart all aflutter!!!
Silver Springs, MD? My aunt & uncle have lived there for years.
LOL... that house makes my heart flutter too!

And yes, I was born in Silver Spring, which is a cute town from what I remember... but we moved to Rockville when I was about 3, and then to San Francisco when I was 7. So really, I'm a Californian at heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Do you really want me to have a cyber-orgasm?! You know how much I drool over the Victorians here in Scranton (one of which will be mine someday, even if I have to kill off an old lady to get it!); just imagine how awesome it would be to see a tour of them from a city known for that type of architecture!
Well now... it would be worth the time, just to give you a cyber-orgasm! But can we get pictures of that too??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 05:15 PM
 
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 13,363,313 times
Reputation: 1792
Those are some incredibly sexy city shots there Gizmo. Excellent job. I love San Francisco. I remember taking the BART from SFO into the city when I was there and glancing out and seeing these sort of pastel-colored one-story stucco row houses going up these twisty and turny streets to the top of the hill which no doubt afforded incredible views. This was the area around Daly City which to my knowledge isn't exactly thought of as prime real estate or a hot spot in the Bay Area, but to little East Coast me, it was beautiful and like nothing I had ever seen before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
Gizmo.... That photo of "Rainy Sidewalk and Chinese Shops".... There was actually a parking space AVAILABLE! Good grief! It should be FRAMED!

Just kidding! Great pictures throughout! Lived in San Jose for many years, so got to SF often!
Touche. But on this particular street, there's always metered parking available (which I can't use when I'm working, since it only gives you an hour)... that's because all we have on the street is a couple of bad Chinese restaurants (good ones are on San Bruno Ave.), one burrito place, and about 5-6 dry cleaners & laundromats. Oh, and the dollar store & Chinese herbalist, which are pictured in that photo. Anyway, it's not exactly a hub of activity or shopping.

Now as for the rest of SF, it would be worth framing a picture of empty spots! I had a hairdresser appointment in the Castro last week, and it took me 45 minutes to find parking... the spot I finally found was 4 blocks from the shop, up/down a GIANT hill. And of course it was raining that night, so the stylist was kind enough to give me a shower-cap to protect my hairdo - looked like a fool, but at least it kept me dry!

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-25-2007 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Those are some incredibly sexy city shots there Gizmo. Excellent job. I love San Francisco. I remember taking the BART from SFO into the city when I was there and glancing out and seeing these sort of pastel-colored one-story stucco row houses going up these twisty and turny streets to the top of the hill which no doubt afforded incredible views. This was the area around Daly City which to my knowledge isn't exactly thought of as prime real estate or a hot spot in the Bay Area, but to little East Coast me, it was beautiful and like nothing I had ever seen before.
Thank you... I've never had my photos called sexy before, so that's quite a compliment! The shots from Visitacion Valley are right on the Daly City border, so it's possible you were in that neighborhood - but DC is a big town, so it actually wraps all around southern SF.

Edit: Oh wait, you said you were on BART from SFO... so that would be the Westlake area to Ingleside, which is southwestern SF (rather than southeastern). It all looks the same anyway, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,208 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Reputation: 15855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well now... it would be worth the time, just to give you a cyber-orgasm! But can we get pictures of that too??
Oy-vey! I don't think I'd want to risk getting my prized camera all messy. I need it to start snapping my daily photo tours in a couple of weeks once finals are over. I enjoyed your pictures very much and will be waiting patiently for the next series at your conveniences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top