U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, I actually thought that was "cheap" too! It's probably in bad shape, and needs a ton of work... my family bought a 1901 Victorian in 1983, and it had to be completely remodeled before moving in. I can't even guess how much my parents spent on that, but it paid off in the end - we sold it for more than 3x what we paid, 15 years later. Here are a few pics:

Shortly after we moved in

After re-painting to look more Victorian (about 8 years later?)

LOL... don't we all wish! Those houses are gorgeous, and I love the history behind them. It would be awesome to live in a place with that kind of story! Our home (the one above) actually survived two major earthquakes - the 1906 & 1989 ones - so I guess that's another interesting piece of history.
What a beautiful home- has so much character to it.
Any more pictures? You should get 10 gold stars for these pix- those painted ladies houses and historic houses are only rivaled by Back Bay/Beacon Hill on Boston. I still need to see S.F. though- what would you recommend for a 2 week trip?

Thanks again

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 03:44 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Is that park in the city of San Francisco proper just out of curiousity?

I was suprised to see so much stucco and wood-framed houses as I for some reason always in my mind (I have never been there) thought it would be more bricky.

Looks like they keep those neighborhoods clean also.
Which park are you referring to? They are both in San Francisco proper, in the Visitacion Valley district... McLaren is up in the hills, off Mansell St. & Sunnydale (approx), and I think it's the 2nd biggest in SF - right after Golden Gate park. The little one I showed was in "downtown" Vis Valley, off of Bayshore Rd... they have those all over the district, supported by a non-profit community organization. Cool, huh?

Oh, and real brick homes are actually illegal in San Francisco, since they could crumble in a big earthquake... so most homes here are stucco and wood, or fake brick & stone with (I think) a stucco underneath.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
What a beautiful home- has so much character to it.
Any more pictures? You should get 10 gold stars for these pix- those painted ladies houses and historic houses are only rivaled by Back Bay/Beacon Hill on Boston. I still need to see S.F. though- what would you recommend for a 2 week trip?

Thanks again

sunny
Thanks, and yes it did have character! My parents also tried to keep the Victorian "flavor", by decorating the inside in that style... which annoyed me, since they wouldn't let me paint my room dark purple. I have more pictures, but will have to upload them later, since I'm going out now. I'll also post later with some ideas for a trip, or PM you if that's better.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
That house is great! Amazing that it made it though the 1906 quake. I thought the whole city burned to the ground?

On a related topic, what is the insurance like for earthquakes? I have read a lot of scary stories about entire sections of San Francisco that is built on fill from the 1906 quake. I often wonder how the people in that area can afford insurance for their homes.
Our home was actually in San Mateo Park, about 12-15 miles south of San Francisco city... so I guess the suburbs didn't get hit quite as hard. But even in SF itself, there were some homes & buildings that survived, and are still standing today. Amazing! If you'd like to see some incredible pictures from the quake, check out my library's photo project:
http://www.sfpl.org/librarylocations...ake-browse.htm

As for the insurance, I really don't know the costs, since I haven't owned my own house yet... so I'd have to ask my parents about that. But I don't think it's TOO expensive, since everyone gets it. And thank goodness for that, since our home did suffer damage in the '89 quake - we lost a chimney, lots of china/glass stuff, and had a pipe burst under the garage (causing flooding downstairs). As far as I know, my parent's insurance covered all of that, saving us a lot of money & hassle.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:01 PM

Just quickly browsed through that photo project (there are TONS of pics!), and found this one very poignant shot:

I remember the '89 quake like it was yesterday, but (thank God) our damages were minimal compared to the '06... could you imagine watching your beloved city burn to the ground??? If anything, we can thank that experience for teaching us a lesson, since it led to retrofitting & other earthquake safety measures (like the no brick buildings law). But it still humbles me to look at those photos, since you never know what could happen tomorrow - as the people of New Orleans/Gulf Coast unfortunately learned.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-28-2007 at 04:41 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Here are a few more pics of my family's home, but I'll have to check my photo CDs for others later... (maybe I'll find some of the interior)

Before we added the breakfast room & expanded porch

Old 04-29-2007, 12:53 AM

Default More Pics...

My friend & I went to Haight St. today (gorgeous day!!) for shopping and Cuban food... yum. I took a few pictures, including some Victorians for Scranton. Here ya go:

Love this mural! And read the quote if you can see it...

The radio tower peeking through the fog

Old 04-29-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Even more...

And from Civic Center (downtown) the other day...

A theater (forget the name)

Our main library

City Hall... if you look REALLY close, there's a protest going on at the steps (as usual, LOL)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or