Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You moved to your new city because you wanted to..
Become a Southerner yourself and you like the culture... 2 28.57%
You just came down for the job/weather.... 0 0%
You can't stand and plan on going back to your old home asap... 2 28.57%
You are happy where you are and don't ever plan on going South 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:44 PM

207 posts, read 323,118 times

Advertisements

I am a Southerner wondering how Northerners who have moved South are adapting. Are the two cultures still pretty separate (North/South) in places like Atlanta? Do you try to date only other Northerners in your city? Do you incorporate yourself into the culture by becoming a Southerner yourself (planning on moving to the country and becoming Baptist )? Or did you just move down for weather, low cost of living etc..? This is an honest question; not meant as an attack in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:56 PM

98 posts, read 320,271 times
I live in MI and joined city-data when I thought my hubby and I would move south to SC (hence the name!). We visited the Greenville area and it is really beautiful. The downtown area (Greenville) is tough to beat! I think Traverse City (in Michigan) has the only other downtown I could say is as nice as Greenville's. However, the 'burbs (Simpsonville to be specific)of the area are just like anywhere else so I found that I was a little dissapointed. I'm not sure what I was looking for - maybe something to "feel" right about the area. Nothing felt wrong but it sorta made me think "hmmmm, parts of MI are just like these surburbs, we have cute downtowns, great beaches, my job is here AND (the real reason we stayed) my friends and family are here...." so we changed our minds about being so adament to leave MI.

MI has huge problems but I think for me personally I just realized that I thought the grass might be greener somewhere else and that may or may not be the case but I didn't think it would be at that time in SC. We do have some family there so who knows - maybe someday down the road the winters will get to me and I'll be there! I sure don't blame anyone who has left MI but for me, for now, this is home

Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,491,966 times
I am very happy living in the northeast, the climate, culture, and big urban city amenities are ideal. If I ever wanted a warmer climate (which I dont) I would move to the west coast not the south.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 PM

36,625 posts, read 67,123,456 times
They call me The Prince of Oakland. I hate it.

Duke or Lord is probably more fitting-perhaps Baron. LOL

Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times
"You can't stand and plan on going back to your old home asap... "

I hate it here. I hangout with people from the North. People from the South have the old-fashion mentality. They think differently from the Northerners. And more things, but I do not wish to say. Luckily, where I live now my neighbors are from NY and from NJ.

I will move ASAP from here.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:56 PM

207 posts, read 323,118 times
I wish you the best of luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Hate it here.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,449,310 times
Quote:
Originally posted by gr99a05
I am a Southerner wondering how Northerners who have moved South are adapting. Are the two cultures still pretty separate (North/South) in places like Atlanta? Do you try to date only other Northerners in your city? Do you incorporate yourself into the culture by becoming a Southerner yourself (planning on moving to the country and becoming Baptist )? Or did you just move down for weather, low cost of living etc..? This is an honest question; not meant as an attack in any way.
Good question. I just moved from MI to a small North Carolina town two weeks ago because of the economy. My town is pretty, historic, and love the (very welcoming) people. But it hasn't become home to me yet. About dating--I'm open, but would probably prefer a northerner just so that I can marry and get back home without any emotional snags. I can't imagine a Southern Belle wanting to move to the Upper Midwest.

I've assimilated in so far as I show interest in the culture, and like the people. I never talk about how nice things are up north because they're not necessarily nicer, just different. But I'm very conscious of losing my midwestern identity. I definitely have to guard against losing my accent, and I've been listening to Prairie Home Companion a lot more since I got down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.