Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 PM

148 posts, read 290,735 times

Advertisements

In the Hampton Roads region, in my opinion, the most overpopulated city is undoubtedly Virginia Beach: ~436,000. Compared to our experiences with larger metropolitan areas, the traffic here is far worse. Just too many people for what the area has to offer in terms of infrastructure (No light rail, poor bus service, etc). Tunnel traffic heading to Williamsburg is usually heavily congested, especially on weekends. There are not enough modes of transportation to accomodate the population. The population tends to increase in the summer due to tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
In the Hampton Roads region, in my opinion, the most overpopulated city is undoubtedly Virginia Beach: ~436,000. Compared to our experiences with larger metropolitan areas, the traffic here is far worse. Just too many people for what the area has to offer in terms of infrastructure (No light rail, poor bus service, etc). Tunnel traffic heading to Williamsburg is usually heavily congested, especially on weekends. There are not enough modes of transportation to accomodate the population. The population tends to increase in the summer due to tourists.
It's been rumored that the population of Virginia Beach can reach 1 million during the peak of summer.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I've had many discussions about the spread of the east coast megalopogis futher south. I wouldn't say the east coast is overpopulated except for NYC/ NJ. I wouldn't call Boston, Philly, D.C., Richmond, Norfolk, Atlanta, Charlotte, or any other east coast city overpopulated. BosWash is supposed to extend from Boston to Norfolk/ Virginia Beach, but between D.C. and Baltimore is rural, between D.C. and Richmond, and between Richmond and Norfolk is all rural/suburban/ farmland. There's absoultely nothing in between Richmond/ Norfolk and Raleigh. So I say it's a long way to go for a complete densely populated urban megalopgis to stretch from atlanta to boston
New Jersey has the highest state population density, followed by Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Maryland.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
New Jersey has the highest state population density, followed by Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Maryland.
Yes, I'm well aware of the population densities of those states, and I said NY/ NJ is the only truly overpopulated area in my opinion. Come on Rhode Island overpopulated? Maryland? Nope. They aren't. I guess in the end it all boils down to one's opinion, but I don't think the megalopogis is as overpopulated as people like to believe. Philly doesn't feel crowded one bit. Never been to Boston. Baltimore feels like a ghost town at some points, etc.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm well aware of the population densities of those states, and I said NY/ NJ is the only truly overpopulated area in my opinion. Come on Rhode Island overpopulated? Maryland? Nope. They aren't. I guess in the end it all boils down to one's opinion, but I don't think the megalopogis is as overpopulated as people like to believe. Philly doesn't feel crowded one bit. Never been to Boston. Baltimore feels like a ghost town at some points, etc.
NY/NJ? NYC maybe, but NYC's suburbs...including North Jersey I wouldn't call overcrowded. You want to talk about overcrowded regions? Go look at LA and Bay Area because they are dense urban areas...relatively. But yes, I'll agree...the northeast isn't as crowded as people perceive it to be. The majority of this huge swath of population is almost continuous suburban sprawl from one metro to the next. That's all it really is...unless you go within the city borders of any NE city.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
NY/NJ? NYC maybe, but NYC's suburbs...including North Jersey I wouldn't call overcrowded. You want to talk about overcrowded regions? Go look at LA and Bay Area because they are dense urban areas...relatively. But yes, I'll agree...the northeast isn't as crowded as people perceive it to be. The majority of this huge swath of population is almost continuous suburban sprawl from one metro to the next. That's all it really is...unless you go within the city borders of any NE city.
Exactly.

& I was reffering to NYC/ NJ. The rest of the northeast isn't even crowded, even inside the city limits.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

& I was reffering to NYC/ NJ. The rest of the northeast isn't even crowded, even inside the city limits.
Compared to the rest of the nation, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, and Washington, DC are denser, more-fast paced, and more vibrant. Unless you're from Asia or Europe.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Compared to the rest of the nation, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, and Washington, DC are denser, more-fast paced, and more vibrant. Unless you're from Asia or Europe.
I think the whole world knows that. I'm from Philadelphia! I never felt like it was crowded or overpopulated.. Yeah it's densely populated, fast paced and all that, but not overpopulated, which is what this topic is about.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I think the whole world knows that. I'm from Philadelphia! I never felt like it was crowded or overpopulated.. Yeah it's densely populated, fast paced and all that, but not overpopulated, which is what this topic is about.
And I'm from Willow Grove, PA...yay! Philly pride all the way!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Haha YURPP! I'm headin up there next week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.