Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 AM

217 posts, read 956,759 times

Advertisements

Recently went on a business trip to San Diego- loved it! I know nothing can compare to San Diego, especially its weather, but is there any city on the east coast similar to SD in terms of geography, lifestyle, people, ambiance, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,856,099 times
No, absolutely not. Dying to go back home from the East Coast because there is nothing like SD. Thats why SD is so expensive.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:24 PM

I figured this would be a tough one!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,603,480 times
Well, climate-wise, absolutely not. But there is more to your question, I think.

If you are talking about a similar vibe, or perhaps a city that is more relaxed than its neighbors...(as San Diego is to L.A.) there may be a few candidates.

For example, Norfolk-Virginia Beach is more laid-back than Richmond, or the DC metro. Plus it's near water. Providence, RI isn't all that far from NYC or Boston, but has a different vibe. And just about any metro in South Carolina feels much different from Atlanta. Just some thought-starters here...

Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Miami?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,759,149 times
East coast, ummm... maybe Boston.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,240,568 times
I think Fort Lauderdale, FL or Myrtle Beach, SC because they look similar to San Diego (minus the mountains). Weather may be one of the biggest issues because the entire East Coast is probably hotter than San Diego during the Summer but a lot of it is cooler in the Winter, the overall water temp on the East Coast is warmer than the West Coast. There are other factors as well.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 PM

330 posts, read 873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
Recently went on a business trip to San Diego- loved it! I know nothing can compare to San Diego, especially its weather, but is there any city on the east coast similar to SD in terms of geography, lifestyle, people, ambiance, etc.?
San Diego is nice for a vacation or retirement, but to live there and work is a different story. If you have to work you're better off living in another city and you just vacation once in a while in SD. Unless you're one of the lucky ones who has a cush high paying job in SD.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
San Diego is nice for a vacation or retirement, but to live there and work is a different story. If you have to work you're better off living in another city and you just vacation once in a while in SD. Unless you're one of the lucky ones who has a cush high paying job in SD.
The nature of my work requires me to travel, but I really liked San Diego-it became a favorite. From what your saying, career wise it may not be the best place but for a vacation it scores better. Also, from you screen name it seems like your in the DC area? How is living in that area, I was there in July.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 PM

330 posts, read 873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
The nature of my work requires me to travel, but I really liked San Diego-it became a favorite. From what your saying, career wise it may not be the best place but for a vacation it scores better. Also, from you screen name it seems like your in the DC area? How is living in that area, I was there in July.
gmagg, I moved from the SF Bay Area to the DC area. I relocated to the DC area becuase of a job opportunity. I really like it here and I always feel comfortable abouting finding other opportunities in case my current job goes out. The best part of the DC area is:

1. the career opportunities. There are a lot of jobs here - and if one is filled today it will be available tomorrow because someone took another job opportunity.
2. I love the diversity. They Bay Area is pretty diverse, but DC metro I think is even more diverse because you will meet people from all over the world - and not just a few minority groups. There are people here from just about every country in the world.
3. Closness to so many other big cities - Baltimore is 30 minutes away. Philly is 2 hours away. Atlantic City another 2.5 hours away. NYC 4 hours away. And other places like Richmond, Williamsburg, VA Beach, Myrtle Beach, Harpers Ferry, and the list goes on and on.
4. The beach and mountains - each about 2 hours away. Unless you live in a far suburb, then you could be 30 minutes from the mountains, and an hour from the ocean. The Chesapeake Bay is next door, but I don't consider that the ocean.
5. DC - DC is awesome. There are so many things to do and see. There are lists of events to go and see each week. You will not be bored with DC. The nightlife is awesome. I hear 10 or 20 years ago it was just Georgetown. But now you have Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, U Street, Chinatown/Gallery Place, of course Georgetown, and a bunch of other places as well as upcoming areas. And you also have a ton of other stuff to do in the burbs which are as urban as a lot of big cities.

The biggest drawback to the area is the cost of living and the traffic. Housing is expensive, and the traffic really sux if you live farther from the city. The month of August is the least traffic, but other months can be pretty much gridlock.

I also love San Diego. I think it's the closest thing to Hawaii in the mainland. But as I mentioned, if you're in the working world, it can be a tough place to live because of the lack of careet ops.

Where do you currently reside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.