U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 PM

34,708 posts, read 33,734,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
The NOVA, DC, Baltimore area, where I've spent a combined total of about 9 years can't be defined very well.

You have the self-important, guilt-ridden elite who don't see the problem with driving a hybrid 50 miles to work, one way, so their kids can get in "good schools." They don't comprehend the hypocrisy of the McMansions combined with looking down their noses at people who they see as wasteful. These are the folks that spend over $100 USD a week on Starbucks. That's only half the story. The other half of the self-important suburbanites with homes far too large are much more self-absorbed. They also make the big money, but have zero guilt about it and like to show it off.

You've got the service industry folks, mostly immigrants, who, in spite of all that's going on around them seem genuinely happy to be here.

You've got the power set, currently right-leaning, mostly from out of town that's been fortified by a two-term guy. What people forget is that for all the presidential appointees, you get the underlings too.

You've got the downtowners who, by most accounts, are well-adjusted artsy types with money. They normally lean hard-left, but unlike the suburbanites, they are probably actually doing something. I'm not sure what, but they're doing it within the various city limits.

You've got the young activist crowd, mostly in college (perpetually it seems) reveling in their extended childhood while attending the demonstration of the week.

You've got the military and civil service crowd. Many of them keep their out of state plates as long as they can. It's sort of like a show of resistance to the beltway culture. (I drove with expired TX plates as long as I could, honest). They're diverse. You can't pin them down. Within that, there is a sub culture of 50-something civil service workers. I think they run the country. I don't know where they live around here really. They appear at about 0700 and are in a rush to beat the HOV cut off in the afternoon. If they get stuck in the office until 4 or 5 pm, they do the incredible hulk routine.

Sadly there's an inner-city crowd that is either fighting to get out or reveling within the system.

Then there's the silent majority. The folks who keep the region going. They do their work. They don't complain too much. They live all over. They come from all levels of income, various races and different educational backgrounds. You can't spot them in the mix, but when you meet one, you'll probably know.
Right leaning, left leaning, suburban or urban, rich or poor, powerful or not - lousy obnoxious rude oblivious drivers all, in this area. Just got my 6 month bill for car insurance (2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan - $531). Can't wait to get out of here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,484,490 times
In my town people like to blast loud rap music and street race on public roads.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,396,022 times
Yeah we got the bassers down here too - obviously!
But ya know what? SOFL still RULES baby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteblonde
The women don't bother with make up or hair color or hair styling.
And that's a BAD thing?
What a sad state this race is in...
Hey - what place is this?
It's probably cool!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:26 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,178,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Right leaning, left leaning, suburban or urban, rich or poor, powerful or not - lousy obnoxious rude oblivious drivers all, in this area. Just got my 6 month bill for car insurance (2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan - $531). Can't wait to get out of here.
Wait, is that a complaint? I'd kill to have that insurance bill!!! I pay $1100 for 6 months on a 2003 Nissan Sentra!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:51 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Just got my 6 month bill for car insurance (2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan - $531).
We just paid $260/6 mo for liability only on a '98 Taurus. (It was totaled in a hailstorm). When the car was totaled, the ins. went down by about half. There is no cheap insurance in any metropolitan area.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:27 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,076,715 times
Here in San Francisco, we've got hippies, yuppies, and everything in-between! And it's all about the neighborhood, since each on has it's own flavor and offerings... you go to the Castro for gay (male) bars & unusual shops, North Beach for authentic Italian food, downtown for funky shops, theaters & cheap food, Haight St. for the hippie vibe, Sunset for the beach, and so on. I personally love to shop, eat good food, and explore the parks with my dog...

Politically speaking, I think you can guess which way most of us lean. Obviously SF is a very liberal city, and we don't keep that a secret! Conservatives certainly aren't unwelcome, but they just get used to hearing constant "lefty talk" - LOL. Can't be offended by that stuff here, or you'd have a rough time getting through each day.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 AM

366 posts, read 272,944 times
Ouch. Hunting and fishing, fishing and hunting, guns & trailers and Faux News and more selection in chewing tobacco than in books. Everyone's hairy and there are too many newcomers with some sort of Northern Exposure syndrome. Lots of meth, lots of logging, lots of alcohol abuse et al.

Trying to think of something to balance it out...natural beauty of a certain kind if you can get someplace they haven't clearcut yet, lots of water for nautical types, no forest fires because it rains all the time. Most of the old timers here are great, even the ones who've been hiding out from the law in other states for 20 odd years or so.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:09 AM

353 posts, read 379,032 times
Denver:

You must--MUST--own an SUV. You live in a slightly above average priced and sized home in the suburbs. You vote Republican, go to church--often a megachurch, take hikes in the foothills, and eat granola. You are married and have an above-average number of kids (3 or 4). You are all about faith, family, and football and like to wear cowboy boots--but only on occasion.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:35 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,875,010 times
I used to work at a Starbucks 15 years ago trying to put myself through college and I still can't imagine making buying coffee out a daily habit. I buy perhaps one cup a week (usually from Dunkin Donuts), if even. And when I say coffee, I mean 'a cup of coffee with a bit of cream', that is all.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:16 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,383,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
LOL I *had* a WRX when I moved here. Between premium gas and that insurance bill -- you guessed it, sold!

FWIW, NOVA has lower car insurance rates than DC and MD, by a good bit -- at least I took a big hit on the bill when I moved from Arlington VA to central MD. It's not as bad as when I lived in Brooklyn NY, but Honolulu was the worst imaginable for auto insurance. I don't understand how it got so bad there ("no fault" state law maybe created it).

We're moving away soon too --- by summer's end, no more DC Metro area!

I'd rather make less and spend less than make more and spend more. I know that sounds kinda silly, but I'm tired of the big cities....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or