U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:11 PM

673 posts, read 3,752,614 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the cultural is like in your city. As in what is the average people like. What do they drive? What do they eat? What is their lifestyle?

Here in Lincoln, Nebraska

-Rule #1. When going out to eat or to the bars, clubs and football games always go as a couple and with another couple. So the guys can impress follow Nebraskans with there knowledge of college football while the women talk about how wonderful their men are! When going out as just one couple always pretend your talking on your cell-phone very loud and announcing to every one with-in 100 feet of you how great your significant other is.

-Any food with lots of fat (what good is a steak that is not at least 50% fat)in it
-A true Lincolnite has a disdain for fresh veggies unless they are fried or in a chinese restaurant
-Pastries, Pastries, Patries
-Drink, Drink, Drink (detox centers sure must do the business here on Thurs-Sat nights)
-Excercising is sinful, thou shall just drive mini-van or big SUV and drive as fast as they can to deter any fellow Lincolnites to take a walk
-Marriage is just for reproduction purposes so thou must have lots of babies
-Also a true Lincolnite loves there cell-phone, even if those conversations are phony

Hobbies: College football, Talking about college football, Talking about college football recruits, Washing College football clothes because they shall be worn every day of the week.

Other hobbies putting 5 foot tall wheels on trucks and turning up the volume on the music so if everyone driving in the area at the time didnt notice the 5 foot tall wheels they notice because of the music.

Also Lincolnites seem to like pitbulls and low-fences. Nothing, like having a big-pit bull in the yard to encourage people to drive instead of walk.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-24-2007 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,705 times
Sacramento is very suburban. People live a long ways from where they work, and drive their fancy cars and suvs everywhere. It is very family friendly, and I believe has good schools compared to many areas of california. Although it is becoming more urbanized, it is still basically a suburb of the san francisco area. Public transit it not used very often, although there are ambitious plans for light rail to become larger.

Unlike the rest of california, people tend to be conservative and republican. Most people dont realize, but it is about 2.2 million people and the 26th largest metro in the nation.

Sports are not huge here, although there are a lot of kings fans. college sports are fairly unpopular mainly because berkeley is the closest nearby(about 2 hrs in the bay area). Although I am a die-hard uc davis fan.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,910,595 times
Here in the real upstate NY, Oswego on Lake Ontario, is probably the closest your going to find in the lower 48 to the outdoor lifestyle in Alaska and a cross between that and New England.

This is a water oriented community on a big lake. Tall ships, intl freighters, sailboats, charter boats, drift boats, marinas, shore fishing, and waterfront promenades. Hunting in the country woods. It's also a college town with a beautiful campus. There was lots of money here at the turn of the century so municipal buildings are gorgeously granite. Lots of parks and walkable small city with a real downtown, and art deco theatre converted to a multiplex with $4 matinees.

You rarely see expensive cars, and certainly not white ones as they disappear in the snow, which we get tons of, though it's not a pickup kind of town either. Teachers are paid well here and so you'll see they have some of the better cars and houses. Along with engineering for the nuclear plants, govt jobs are one of the few. Everyone pitches in here and there are lots of community organizations and fundraisers.

It's a beautiful place for artists and writers especially since housing is cheap compared to the rest of the US and vistas are pretty and green, still close to vineyards and mtns. Quite behind the times in that families are close, the elderly are respected and integral to the community, and lots of kids activities. Franchises are just starting up here. Hometown Italian restaurants are favs, Chinese buffet, a couple of cafe type places, going out for breakfast too. We also have our signature spot called "around the loop" for our necessary fish dinners overlooking the lakefront, summers only.

Concerts in the summer along the waterfront and in the parks along with lots of festivals. A full week of free entertainment of all sorts including some big acts with venues all over the city that has become a homecoming time as well as attracting huge crowds. Too much to do in summer, too little in winter. People are friendly and honest. Golf courses are hilly and cheap, cultural activites are pretty good many through the college, and we have our own opera company. We also have a revolutionary historical fort where they conduct reinactments. We're very near Canada and visit often.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 04-25-2007 at 05:07 AM..

Old 04-25-2007, 07:21 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
My city is too large and varied to have a cultural norm of a lifestyle. It ranges from the ex-frat boys who live in well outfitted apartments near Wrigley Field to refugees (8 from a war torn nation in Africa whom I recently met arriving on a freezing day wearing (and owning) little more than shorts and sandals all of whom live in a small two bedroom apartment with broken screens ... I brought them a radio last night, they were thrilled), There are musicians, business tycoons, homeless people, artists, doctors, accountants, bricklayers, the wealth of the gold coast and the poverty of the urban ghetto, and we all live within an hours drive of each other. I don't think that we have a 'norm'

Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 AM

786 posts, read 4,319,743 times
Fairfax County VA is a huge suburban area outside of Washington DC. People are concerned about quality of life issues and there is still some scenic beauty due to a natural forested landscape but the rapidly increasing problems connected with immigration and a rapidly growing population is hurting the area big time.

On our block it seems like English is a second language but few people bother to even wave to their neighbors. I would say this area is one of the most unfriendly parts of the country. So many people move here to work and have family and friends back in another State, so people are isolated. The terrible traffic and commute makes it very hard to spend any time in church, community or school activities. The wide spread diversity makes it hard to make friends because few people have much in common.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 PM

341 posts, read 1,368,578 times
They chain smoke.
They drive Ford trucks.
They eat grits and at Ryans buffet alot.
They are overweight.
Most have never been more than one or two counties away from home.
Alot are obsessively involved with their kids sports (whether the kid wants it or not lol)
The men are either burly farm types or gaunt skinny fellas. They almost all wear greasy baseball caps. Lots of John Deere.
The women don't bother with make up or hair color or hair styling.
Still common to see beehive hairdo's & big square plastic framed glasses.
Most resemble Popeye. That's both sexes.
They like church.
They like above ground pools, trampolines & Walmart.
Unfortunately meth is HUGE here. (Boredom I suppose)
They KY people poke fun at the IN people and vise versa. I can't see the difference.
Forget the accent. Just bang on a banjo and there you have it.
They have lots and lots and lots and lots of relatives. As a rule, all within 10 miles.
Goodwill is a main staple.
Driving 40 in a 55mph is a way of life. No turn signals please. You can't hold a smoke in one hand, steer with the other AND click on your directional.
Hunting is an entire family event. It is honored by wearing camoflauge 12 months a year.
Gun racks (see Ford trucks)

So that's wut in tarnations popular in these har parts. Wus ya wuntin more info?

ps. It was nice visiting(or not) but time to MOVE again! lol Now, where'd I put that 21st century? Looking...looking...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,597,454 times
Three words describe most people in the Cincinnati area. Insular, conformist, and close-minded.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,738 times
I can't get a sense of the community, the east side of Portland Oregon, it is mostly immigrants and some natives, Has no sense of neighborhood, and is very much high crime and drugs, its sad that publications that market these best places to live are not also mandated to provide the cons of these best places to live. I am leaving Portland later this year.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,089,424 times
liberal, close minded, not intellectual, lazy and rude

Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM

60 posts, read 47,133 times
Default Thank you j33

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
My city is too large and varied to have a cultural norm of a lifestyle. It ranges from the ex-frat boys who live in well outfitted apartments near Wrigley Field to refugees (8 from a war torn nation in Africa whom I recently met arriving on a freezing day wearing (and owning) little more than shorts and sandals all of whom live in a small two bedroom apartment with broken screens ... I brought them a radio last night, they were thrilled)...
There's an old saying: If You Arenít Part of the Solution, Youíre Part of the Problem

Thank you j33, for being part of the solution. My hat's off to you for your kindness and generosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or