Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Out of all the videos that were posted about black accents, the Dallas one sounded the most similar to the way black people in Memphis talk.
Which in turn sounds very similar to how people in St. Louis talks. I'm not saying this just to say it MrMcoy, but I'm speaking on observations. They may it differently. But the similarities is there. People in Dallas and St. Louis sound more similar to each other than people in Dallas and Charlotte or Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I hate to use these two rappers as examples but Nelly, the st. lunatics, and Chingy....yeah....anyway, last I checked they were from STL and neither one of them sound anything like someone from Dallas or Little Rock. Not when theyre rapping or talking.

I mean, even when i think about it, Dallasites and st. louisites have a different way of saying urr.
You're trying to make it like I'm saying it's exactly like Dallas or Little Rock. I never said that. There is no exact identical accents around the country at all whatsoever. But similarities exist and I know of many people from Dallas that went out of town and people thought they were actually from St. Louis. And while Dallasites and St. Louisians have a different way of slurring their words, the similarities is there. They don't slur their words like that in the Southeast like that. They just don't.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 PM

41 posts, read 140,895 times
Welcome to West Virginia

YouTube - Do i Have a west virginian accent?

Its rare anymore but here is an old-south Virginian accent

YouTube - Too Goode to be true

Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
There is no change in the accent between the neutrally southern cities of Houston, dallas, and atlanta.

The difference someone would hear if they watched the videos is the local cultures. For instance Houston has always been the more laid back city, and their speech sometimes sounds more slow and bulkier. But their words are pronounced the same way as a native Atlantan, considering they even have an accent (as some southerners don't).

New Orleans and miami are of course exceptions, but theyre still southern.

People can claim all they want that they know the difference, but the fact is that if you ran into a person from Atl in Hou, or vice versa, you would not know where they were from unless they told you.

Now i'll tell you when Atlantans and Houstonians sound EXACTLY the same is when they're cussin somebody out. first hand experience of this lol.

I was in a grocery store a couple months ago and there was an employee that over heard another lady talking to her husband and the employee asked her where she was from, the lady said East TX, then the employee said she was from Atlanta and thought she heard recognized deep south in the way she talked.

ok, just my little story I overheard

Old 08-19-2009, 02:20 AM

433 posts, read 875,991 times
Based on the map it has Buffalo and Cleveland in the same accent region. Cleveland do not have an east coast accent at all. Not saying buffalo does but if it do the map is subjective at best.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
To me, people from the entire Great Lakes region sound similar, they have the so called "Northern Cities Vowel Shift." Sure there are variations within that, but broad brush ...

Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
Midwest accent and western accents.... strange. Is this based mostly on people in rural areas not cities?

I'm from the midwest (Kansas City) and I can't hear an accent when I talk to people in STL, Chicago, Vegas, Los Angelos, San Fran, Portland, etc....

Basically, I can't tell the difference when I talk to anyone from the midwest to west coast (with the exception being rural people and people in MN)...

Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM

206 posts, read 439,928 times
When out of state in the past, I've been asked if I was from Chicago or Detroit, based on my accent.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM

433 posts, read 875,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Midwest accent and western accents.... strange. Is this based mostly on people in rural areas not cities?

I'm from the midwest (Kansas City) and I can't hear an accent when I talk to people in STL, Chicago, Vegas, Los Angelos, San Fran, Portland, etc....

Basically, I can't tell the difference when I talk to anyone from the midwest to west coast (with the exception being rural people and people in MN)...
I agree.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Us Minnesotans have weird accents. Its our scandanavianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.