U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,180,848 times
Well, I guess I'm going from a "Valley Girl" accent to a "New England" accent. Lord help me, I have 3 kids. lol

Can't wait to hear, "Oh my God, thats like, ssooooo Wicked", "Am I right" "I'm like totally a Washashore" "Snow is Awesome, like, where are my Ugs?" "Like yea, thats cool about the history and all that mom but like it's so old, totally"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,468,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Yeah different cities in the south have different accents. To someone not from the south we might all sound the same. But I can tell the difference. Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis all talk differently. Some accents are close though, like Atlanta and Birmingham are close, Memphis and Dallas are close also.
There is no change in the accent between the neutrally southern cities of Houston, dallas, and atlanta.

The difference someone would hear if they watched the videos is the local cultures. For instance Houston has always been the more laid back city, and their speech sometimes sounds more slow and bulkier. But their words are pronounced the same way as a native Atlantan, considering they even have an accent (as some southerners don't).

New Orleans and miami are of course exceptions, but theyre still southern.

People can claim all they want that they know the difference, but the fact is that if you ran into a person from Atl in Hou, or vice versa, you would not know where they were from unless they told you.

Now i'll tell you when Atlantans and Houstonians sound EXACTLY the same is when they're cussin somebody out. first hand experience of this lol.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM

815 posts, read 1,204,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
There is no change in the accent between the neutrally southern cities of Houston, dallas, and atlanta.

The difference someone would hear if they watched the videos is the local cultures. For instance Houston has always been the more laid back city, and their speech sometimes sounds more slow and bulkier. But their words are pronounced the same way as a native Atlantan, considering they even have an accent (as some southerners don't).

New Orleans and miami are of course exceptions, but theyre still southern.

People can claim all they want that they know the difference, but the fact is that if you ran into a person from Atl in Hou, or vice versa, you would not know where they were from unless they told you.

Now i'll tell you when Atlantans and Houstonians sound EXACTLY the same is when they're cussin somebody out. first hand experience of this lol.
I disagree, the Atlanta black accent sounds nothing like the Houston black accent. The Memphis black accent sounds nothing like an Atlanta black accent and so forth and so on. For example, in the movie Hustle and Flow, Terrance Howard did a pretty decent job of sounding like a Memphis dude. Now take that and compare it to how rap star TI from Atlanta talks (he has a typical ATL accent) and they sound nothing alike from how they say their words, to the voice inflections and everything. I have a friend from Port Arthur, TX that moved here about 2 years ago and he sounds nothing like how we talk here in Atlanta, everywhere we go someone asks him where his is from. The southern accent is very diverse depending on the particular part of the south your in.

Last edited by youngMichaelJackson; 08-13-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I disagree, the Atlanta black accent sounds nothing like the Houston black accent. The Memphis black accent sounds nothing like an Atlanta black accent and so forth and so on. For example, in the movie Hustle and Flow, Terrance Howard did a pretty decent job of sounding like a Memphis dude. Now take that and compare it to how rap star TI from Atlanta talks (he has a typical ATL accent) and they sound nothing alike from how they say their words, to the voice inflections and everything. I have a friend from Port Arthur, TX that moved here about 2 years ago and he sounds nothing like how we talk here in Atlanta, everywhere we go someone asks him where his is from. The southern accent is very diverse depending on the particular part of the south your in.
Well like i've told other posters, I can't tell you what you hear. All I can do is speak from experience of 20+ years living throughout the southern US.

But tell me youre not comparing an actor to an authentic Southerner?

And I would like to know specifically what does this friend from Port Arthur say that sounds so different from an Atlantan?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM
rah

3,097 posts, read 5,028,051 times
I've never been anywhere in the south (except for the Dallas airport, ha)....but based on years of listening to hip hop i can easily tell between a rapper from Houston or Atlanta.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I've never been anywhere in the south (except for the Dallas airport, ha)....but based on years of listening to hip hop i can easily tell between a rapper from Houston or Atlanta.
But thats dialect and the style of the city. It's not the accent.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 PM

815 posts, read 1,204,830 times
Quote:
Well like i've told other posters, I can't tell you what you hear. All I can do is speak from experience of 20+ years living throughout the southern US.

And I would like to know specifically what does this friend from Port Arthur say that sounds so different from an Atlantan?

I used Terrance Howard as an example because he actually came pretty close to sounding like a Memphis dude in that movie. Compare his accent in that movie to the accent of TI and they sound nothing alike. You cant sit here and tell me that all southerners sound alike, that is so far off base its not funny. And my friend from Texas says almost everything different than we say it in Atlanta, for example when he says north it sounds like "nawf". And thats just one among many words he says that sound nothing like how we talk in Atlanta. He (and others I have met from the Houston area) sounds like he talks more from the front of his mouth and the lip area, while we in Georgia talk more from the back of our throat

Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,197,649 times
Quote:

People from Port Arthur sound NOTHING like people in ATL. It's definitely different accents because words are pronouced different and people sound different in each city. Compare the accents of Dallas and Houston, completely different. I was raised in Waco about 90 miles south of Dallas and people always assume I'm from Dallas because how I talk.

However this is mostly for blacks, not really any other races.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I used Terrance Howard as an example because he actually came pretty close to sounding like a Memphis dude in that movie. Compare his accent in that movie to the accent of TI and they sound nothing alike. You cant sit here and tell me that all southerners sound alike, that is so far off base its not funny. And my friend from Texas says almost everything different than we say it in Atlanta, for example when he says north it sounds like "nawf". And thats just one among many words he says that sound nothing like how we talk in Atlanta. He (and others I have met from the Houston area) sounds like he talks more from the front of his mouth and the lip area, while we in Georgia talk more from the back of our throat
Once again, the differences you are describing is dialect not accent.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Once again, the differences you are describing is dialect not accent.

And that boy saying "nawf" is just a part of the slab/screw culture. Regular people from PA do not talk like that.

But I do agree with the mouth/lip, back of the throat thing. But again this is only with some people. Not all Texans and not all Georgians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.