U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

How to avoid rental problems, rental property manager and company bad experience, not getting security deposit back, roommates not going to clean or remove possessions

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,735,178 times
Reputation: 2253

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I lived there for two years and they didn't come to our property even once during that time. And like I said this was my first lease so I didn't know any better. When we walked through anything we pointed out they said would be fixed by the time we moved in, then it wasn't. If the people before left a mess then it is the companies responsibility to clean it, not screw the next people. If you moved into a filthy place should you be the one to clean it? Would you think highly of your rental company?

If you're a good manager I don't really care, that doesn't mean my company is and that doesn't mean I didn't get screwed over. There was NO reason for your initial attack AT ALL and it is VERY insulting and angering.
But it was O.K. for you to ask for advice and then when given you tell that person to **** off?????
If things were not fixed, you shouldn't of moved in.. or at the very least, have the agreement in writting!
I wasn't attacking you, just giving you the view from a landlord on your question.
Getting screwed over is a learning lesson in life. You learn from your mistakes! Life lessons are the hardest to learn.
If you feel you been screwed, does that justify not cleaning up after yourself? You need to care for the place as if it was your own.
And, like others have stated.... someone, somewhere is paying a mortgage and has to cover your deliquency to save their credit.
If you have been there 2 years, and the place was a mess when you moved in, WHY did you stay another year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,306,202 times
Reputation: 1410
Just get the furniture out. You will be shooting yourself in the foot if you dont.

I doubt your late payments have affected your credit rating (usually only a problem if its WAY late or never paid).

But, the landlords usually win in this case -- fair or not-- protect yourself next time and learn from this experience.

Right now, just stay calm, look to the future -- and do the hard work and get the furniture out of there -- you will do yourself a favor.

Dont use the landlord as a reference unless you have to. Most landlords will look at your credit rating, call your employer etc (if anything) but dont always check the last place you lived.

But if you were honestly a good or reasonable tenat - paid your bills, and cleaned up after you left -- they wont give you a bad reference. they have to back it up with facts.

if you leave your furniture -- you may owe your landlord MORE money and you could end up with a bill -- that could definitley end up on your credit because chances are you will move to a new address and you will never even know about the bill and never pay it. or...you will be mad and refuse to pay it.

In the future...dont pay a $3000 security deposit. and in the future...travel light

Ive been sleeping on an air mattress for awhile...and thats ok by me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
562 posts, read 1,971,036 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
But it was O.K. for you to ask for advice and then when given you tell that person to **** off?????
If things were not fixed, you shouldn't of moved in.. or at the very least, have the agreement in writting!
I wasn't attacking you, just giving you the view from a landlord on your question.
Getting screwed over is a learning lesson in life. You learn from your mistakes! Life lessons are the hardest to learn.
If you feel you been screwed, does that justify not cleaning up after yourself? You need to care for the place as if it was your own.
And, like others have stated.... someone, somewhere is paying a mortgage and has to cover your deliquency to save their credit.
If you have been there 2 years, and the place was a mess when you moved in, WHY did you stay another year?
When I was attacked for no reason, I got angry, if that doesn't make sense to you then I can't help you. I have definitely learned my lesson on what scam artists these people can be. I live in a very expensive city on my own with no help from anyone and had to get a job right out of high school even though I wanted to go to college. I'm doing what I needed to so that I can survive. I wasn't able to get out of this horrible situation until now. It isn't as easy as all of you think. That is why I am now moving to Washington from horrid Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,735,178 times
Reputation: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
When I was attacked for no reason, I got angry, if that doesn't make sense to you then I can't help you. I have definitely learned my lesson on what scam artists these people can be. I live in a very expensive city on my own with no help from anyone and had to get a job right out of high school even though I wanted to go to college. I'm doing what I needed to so that I can survive. I wasn't able to get out of this horrible situation until now. It isn't as easy as all of you think. That is why I am now moving to Washington from horrid Southern California.
I wasn't asking for help, you were.
Not all landlord are scam artists. You must look at the whole picture.
Got a job out of highschool.. great. I had a job while in highschool. I bought my first house at 19 y.o. no help from anyone. That is now my rental. And yes, I expect the guys (21 and 23) living in it now to respect me and MY house. They have been late with payments at times, and I try to be understanding. But there comes a point where I feel like WHY should I have to pay for their living expense. They are not my children! And Mommy doesn't live there so they need to clean up and pay their bills regularly!
Maybe it wasn't as easy as YOU thought. I have been there and done that, over and over again. With life experience, you get passed it and progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
562 posts, read 1,971,036 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Just get the furniture out. You will be shooting yourself in the foot if you dont.

I doubt your late payments have affected your credit rating (usually only a problem if its WAY late or never paid).

But, the landlords usually win in this case -- fair or not-- protect yourself next time and learn from this experience.

Right now, just stay calm, look to the future -- and do the hard work and get the furniture out of there -- you will do yourself a favor.

Dont use the landlord as a reference unless you have to. Most landlords will look at your credit rating, call your employer etc (if anything) but dont always check the last place you lived.

But if you were honestly a good or reasonable tenat - paid your bills, and cleaned up after you left -- they wont give you a bad reference. they have to back it up with facts.

if you leave your furniture -- you may owe your landlord MORE money and you could end up with a bill -- that could definitley end up on your credit because chances are you will move to a new address and you will never even know about the bill and never pay it. or...you will be mad and refuse to pay it.

In the future...dont pay a $3000 security deposit. and in the future...travel light

Ive been sleeping on an air mattress for awhile...and thats ok by me!
Thank you for a kind and understanding answer. I am going to do exactly everything you said. When someone says it without being a jerk and explains themself I am much more likely to listen...

Your advice is very good thank you...maybe I might see a small portion of the deposit back from these con-artists. I definitely don't want to end up with a bill. Any idea what I can do to get rid of my furniture? We only have a bed, a dresser, and a desk that we don't plan on bringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
562 posts, read 1,971,036 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I wasn't asking for help, you were.
Not all landlord are scam artists. You must look at the whole picture.
Got a job out of highschool.. great. I had a job while in highschool. I bought my first house at 19 y.o. no help from anyone. That is now my rental. And yes, I expect the guys (21 and 23) living in it now to respect me and MY house. They have been late with payments at times, and I try to be understanding. But there comes a point where I feel like WHY should I have to pay for their living expense. They are not my children! And Mommy doesn't live there so they need to clean up and pay their bills regularly!
Maybe it wasn't as easy as YOU thought. I have been there and done that, over and over again. With life experience, you get passed it and progress.
Congratulations, I'll bet you aren't in Southern California, and if you are your parents must have given you a miracle job. Not everyone is like you and it's stupid to assume they should be. And I never paid my rent late but I can't control my roommates so quit trying to blame me for every problem in your life. No one just out of high school can afford to buy a house at that age in Southern California so you're either lying or your situation doesn't even apply to me and it was pointless to bring up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,735,178 times
Reputation: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
Congratulations, I'll bet you aren't in Southern California, and if you are your parents must have given you a miracle job. Not everyone is like you and it's stupid to assume they should be. And I never paid my rent late but I can't control my roommates so quit trying to blame me for every problem in your life.
Not Southern Cali, but Southern Florida.
Parents didn't give me anything but the boot out their door.
Miracle job... made me do what it took to take care of myself. I was out of my parents at 16. Finished school, worked all the time, saved and bought a house.


Blame you for my problems, that would be hard, don't have any I can't handle.
Do yourself a favor and clean up after yourself. You may have a bulk pickup in your area. If not, set it at the curb or next to a dumpster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
562 posts, read 1,971,036 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Not Southern Cali, but Southern Florida.
Parents didn't give me anything but the boot out their door.
Miracle job... made me do what it took to take care of myself. I was out of my parents at 16. Finished school, worked all the time, saved and bought a house.


Blame you for my problems, that would be hard, don't have any I can't handle.
Do yourself a favor and clean up after yourself. You may have a bulk pickup in your area. If not, set it at the curb or next to a dumpster.
If you can read, you'll see above where I am taking someones respectful advice. Being a jerk just made me specifically not listen to you. But you are so full of yourself it doesn't really matter, I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,306,202 times
Reputation: 1410
Furniture and moving is a pain in the butt....I have moved many times and understand you want to leave it there.

Can you bring it to the curb before you go and give it away? if no one takes it the garbage man can?

Place an ad on craigs list as a give away -- free to you if you pick it up and move it?

Also, a good thing to do to, that is usually fairly inexpensive -- is to get a cleaning person to clean the place after you move -- this makes it much easier for you (you dont have to clean every nook and cranny or vaccum which most landlords expect youto do). then you can rest assured your leaving a good impression and you can move out more quickly.

I had a two bedroom apt. cleaned completley for $80.

I would see if I could just haul the furniture to the curb and give it away...or have a nice bonfire! or just advertise it on craigslist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
562 posts, read 1,971,036 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Furniture and moving is a pain in the butt....I have moved many times and understand you want to leave it there.

Can you bring it to the curb before you go and give it away? if no one takes it the garbage man can?

Place an ad on craigs list as a give away -- free to you if you pick it up and move it?

Also, a good thing to do to, that is usually fairly inexpensive -- is to get a cleaning person to clean the place after you move -- this makes it much easier for you (you dont have to clean every nook and cranny or vaccum which most landlords expect youto do). then you can rest assured your leaving a good impression and you can move out more quickly.

I had a two bedroom apt. cleaned completley for $80.

I would see if I could just haul the furniture to the curb and give it away...or have a nice bonfire! or just advertise it on craigslist...
Thanks, I will check out those options! I still have a full month to take care of all this so I'm glad I asked in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top