U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

How to avoid rental problems, rental property manager and company bad experience, not getting security deposit back, roommates not going to clean or remove possessions

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 PM

612 posts, read 2,544,016 times

Advertisements

You can also try Goodwill or the Salvation Army, many times they will come and pick up donations, especially furniture.

Good luck with your move, I have had horrible landlords before when I was first starting out, and I have had horrible tenants as I own numerous investment properties now. I can see it from both sides of the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,297,235 times
I understand this from both sides as well.

Unfortunatley, younger people usually get stuck with the problems the op pointed out. Young people who trash apartments have given the stereotype and its hard to find good apartments and landlords that treat you right.

A $3000 security deposit is mighty high...was it split serveral ways?

Anyway, my guess is that the landlord expected a lot of damage because your young. Chances are he/she will be very impressed if you leave the place looking nice and clean and you will get some money back. Make sure you leave a forwarding address so they can contact you.

If you dont hear from them within 6 weeks you might want to contact them and nicely ask if their was a problem and if so what the justification was. Usually they will send you an itemized list of charges, and a refund of the remianing security deposit money.

If you feel this landlord is very unhappy with you already or is very mean...I would maybe approach them and let them know that you did your best to be on time with your payments, but you could not control the other roommates and you feel bad about that. Let them know you were always on time with your share.

Get a report of your credit -- its free

www.annualcreditreport.com

Typically, landlords do not report anything, unless something goes to collections. You would know if something went to collections cause they would be calling you.

You will see pretty mucy only banks and credit card companies will report you if your more than 30 days late -- and even they are usually pretty decent and wont report you until 60 days late.

And ps.

we all know its not expected that you buy a house at 19 I'm 30, I dont own a house and never have...and thats ok. I am not any less responsible. We all have different path's in this world.

The important thing here is that you protect your credit as that will follow you forever....or at least for the next 7 years.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:09 PM

562 posts, read 1,970,069 times
I have great credit on my own with no issues, just a few high balances but I've never been reported to collections or anything. There were five of us but we are all gamers, none of us party, none of us drink, etc. We all pretty much stayed in our rooms. Besides normal stains on the carpet, I think the house is the same as it was when we moved in. I don't think the owners/management company dislike us specifically, I don't even think they remember us. They seem to provide equally poor services and equally poor housing to everyone, at least everyone our age that we know uses them.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:01 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,644,174 times
I think you should at least remove your belongings...I understand you are frustrated with the bad service but if you think you might need a reference from them, you should leave the place vacant and in halfway decent shape. Also it's the right thing to do.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:06 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,529,877 times
People, please, calm down.
Yac.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:52 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,771,463 times
Two wrongs doesn't make a right. Even though the landlord didn't fix what was suppose to be fixed I would clean the place up and get the furniture out.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,929 times
Paula Lynn and theqbaby, you both are vindictive. You accuse ShadowXOR and ask him/her to grow up but you should do the growing up and check your language and how both of you are assuming and accusing of this person who is just innocently asking for constructive suggestions. You both should be ashamed of your attacks, short of cyberbullying. And you tell ShadowXOR to grow up? And what is this "mommy will pay the rent", you don't even know this person. What if this person's parents are deceased? You both keep harping about respect of property. How about both of you "respect some people"? You gloat that you are adults and don't act like one.

ShadowXOR, don't get intimidated. I am a landlord too. Been one for 7 years. And I never use property management companies because most of them are horrible, not all of them but they are horrible. They give landlords and homeowners a bad name. When Paula Lynn stated that property managers "stick together". They do stick together as "crooks". And you happen to stumble upon and interact with a horrible rental company.

I feel compassion or you and as a landlord even if I am "one of them". This is my valuable advice to you. Do not ever forget this pearl of wisdom! As much as possible, deal with an individual homeowner or landlord. They are easier to work with, more flexible, reasonable and rational. Most rental companies are not precisely because they are a "company" and they would not necessarily treat you as an individual yourself. Some treat you as such but most won't.

1) The one who said that it is not their fault and it is "up to the owner" that is not entirely true. Most of the management decisions are decided by the rental company. Hence, being hired by the homeowner for them to make management decisions. What landlords or homeowners do is that they initially give the rental management their requirements and preferences, but the rental company takes it from there especially the day to day operations.

2) There was this other post that said that once you signed the lease, you are not obliged to stay or nobody forced you to stay. That sounds illogical and downright stupid. I understand that you were a first timer and once you signed something you felt obliged and you wanted to honor the contract by staying even if you were dissatisfied with the rental management company. You probably also felt you didn't want to fail your room mates since you didn't want to leave the rental and leave them all hanging by having one less person to pay the rent. I understand the pressure to stay.

3) You are right about the rental company not taking care of the previous occupants mess. It is their duty the clean up the place before somebody else moves in. That is standard operating procedure. We are not talking about you leaving "your" mess there or what it right. I am just talking about your legal right and not an ethical choice of leaving it better than you found it in and all those goody-two-shoes stuff. I am just talking about what the rental company should have done. If you see that management does not care and did not clean up the mess before you moved in and that sends a pretty good message to renters that the rental company does not care.

4) You have a renters right. If the rental management company did not clean up the mess of the previous occupants, does not or did not fix things like the bathroom, lights, etc. in a timely manner. You can take the rental company to court or small claims court. It should also be in your contract that the rental company should live up to what is expected of them. If it is not in your contract you should also take them to court because the contract is one-sided. Just because you signed the contract that does not give them a right to make the contract one-sided and "predatory" (accdg. to a real estate attorney).

5) Get a renter's rights manual. You have a right to a safe and sanitary house. You can still sue them after the fact.

6) One other post says that they have your SSN# and they can report that you were late. That is not entirely true. Banks and credit card companies only report to the 3 bureaus if you are more than thirty days late. As long as you paid within that time frame and not more than thirty days then you are fine. Rental companies are not any better and have no higher standards then credit card companies or banks. They should not report a negative to your prospective landlord. Even employers can not state anything bad or good about a former employee, why should rental companies be any better? Even if they "stick together" accdg. to vindictive Paula. If they do and they totally screw up your reputation and it causes pain and suffering and causes you to be homeless and a nuisance to society by being a hobo. Then you can sue them it court, probably libel or pain and suffering, or false accusations because of their actions or inactions.

Paula Lynn and theqbaby are obviously biased because they work for the industry and refuse to admit that the industry does have bad apples, like any other industry. However, them pouncing on you is not warranted.

You can also sue Paula Lynn and theqbaby for cyberbullying because it has now been placed into law. You can subpeona Citi Data for the real name and address of Paula Lynn and theqbaby. Their screen names can be traced back to their real name and addresses.

Now my caveat: If you want to leave the place better than you found it, you can. It is up to you. It is also the Golden Rule. However, this will also send a wrong message to the rental company and they will really start to become lazy and not do what they are supposed to do. They will ask occupants to clean up their mess (this is okay) but anything leftover by the former occupants, the rental company should shut up, stop whinning and clean up. I did that for years and I did not ever leave a negative report to my former occupants just because they left a little bit of a mess.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or