U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

How to avoid rental problems, rental property manager and company bad experience, not getting security deposit back, roommates not going to clean or remove possessions

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM

562 posts, read 1,970,487 times

Advertisements

I've been leasing a house with four other people for two years. We are all now moving out and our rental company was the worst experience ever. They never fixed anything, were rude, unresponsive, and just a huge pain. So many things were broken when we arrived and they did nothing. It was my first experience on my own so I didn't know what to do. We really have no hope for our security deposit, and we're fine with that. The problem I do want to avoid is them giving negative feedback for the next house we apply for. Since we aren't going to get our deposit back anyway, we don't plan on cleaning the house or removing all of our belongings. We're moving to Washington and just taking our car, we want to replace the few pieces of furniture we have. We were just going to leave what our friends didn't want at the house. Now I assume our security deposit would be used to pay for the cleaning so it shoudln't reflect poorly on us should it? I want to avoid getting a bad rating but I'm not even sure how things like this work at all. My credit is fine so how can I be sure that leaving this place doesn't prevent me from renting another place? Due to living with four people if one person was late we were all late but we always paid rent plus the late fee.

Also due to my last roommate (who just moved out causing a chain reaction) we are late for this month, if I send in an application would that affect the process at all? Thanks very much for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 09:57 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,081,601 times
Oh boy .......... you sure don't seem like the best tenant. First, us property managers work for the OWNER. Don't blame us. The owners have the final decision.

My additude is ---- what you brought in (furniture, ect.) is your responsibilty to remove it when you move out. You brought it in, you take it out with you. And clean your dump. Geez .......... Just because you don't feel like you're going to get your deposit back, doesn't mean you can leave it filthy and leave excess furniture behind.

Don't expect a positive feedback. Property managers "stick" together. Also, we run out-of-state credit reports and call out of state managers and owners for references. We also have ways to find out the "real owner" of a property. So, don't lie on your application. Grow up.

I'm sure you don't rent from me and vice versa.

We turn people like you in to collections...............

Last edited by Paula Lynn; 04-26-2007 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 04-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,733,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Oh boy .......... you sure don't seem like the best tenant. First, us property managers work for the OWNER. Don't blame us. The owners have the final decision.

My additude is ---- what you brought in (furniture, ect.) is your responsibilty to remove it when you move out. You brought it in, you take it out with you. And clean your dump. Geez .......... Just because you don't feel like you're going to get your deposit back, doesn't mean you can leave it filthy and leave excess furniture behind.

I sure hope you don't rent from me and vice versa.

Totally agree !!!
To the OP, not expecting your deposit back does not exclude you from CLEANING UP AFTER YOURSELF!!!
There must be reason why you don't expect your deposit back. Done some damage, have you?
You are late with payments..... someone has to pay it when you are late.
From your post, this being your first time from home, sounds like you need to go back home.
Personally, if I had to hire a cleaning crew and rent a dumpster to get your stuff out, you could guarentee I would not give you a good reference, and would go to extremes to get back the funds it took to clean up after you.
We (landlords,property management) do not want your stuff left behind! Throw it out, you have a month to do so correct?

Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,081,601 times
Theqbaby,

Thanks for your response :-) I'm sure the original poster had a "mommy will pay my rent". Well, "mommy" will also pay ....... Thanks again for the positive feedback on these "dead beat tenants".

Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,642,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I've been leasing a house with four other people for two years. We are all now moving out and our rental company was the worst experience ever. They never fixed anything, were rude, unresponsive, and just a huge pain. So many things were broken when we arrived and they did nothing. It was my first experience on my own so I didn't know what to do. We really have no hope for our security deposit, and we're fine with that. The problem I do want to avoid is them giving negative feedback for the next house we apply for. Since we aren't going to get our deposit back anyway, we don't plan on cleaning the house or removing all of our belongings. We're moving to Washington and just taking our car, we want to replace the few pieces of furniture we have. We were just going to leave what our friends didn't want at the house. Now I assume our security deposit would be used to pay for the cleaning so it shoudln't reflect poorly on us should it? I want to avoid getting a bad rating but I'm not even sure how things like this work at all. My credit is fine so how can I be sure that leaving this place doesn't prevent me from renting another place? Due to living with four people if one person was late we were all late but we always paid rent plus the late fee.

Also due to my last roommate (who just moved out causing a chain reaction) we are late for this month, if I send in an application would that affect the process at all? Thanks very much for the advice!
I am like you, I seriously dislike property management companies. In my experience, they are mostly crooks, and will make make your life difficult in many ways.

However, I wouldn't recommend giving them any ammunition, which is basically what you are doing. I recall one year, being charged $150 for "garbage removal", that literally involved lifting a tied garbage bag, and taking it outside. I wouldn't leave an entire house full of furniture, you are just asking for it. If nothing else, leave some things by the road for someone to pick up. In my neck of the woods, things disappear by 24 hours.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post

Don't expect a positive feedback. Property managers "stick" together. Also, we run out-of-state credit reports and call out of state managers and owners for references. We also have ways to find out the "real owner" of a property. So, don't lie on your application. Grow up.

I'm sure you don't rent from me and vice versa.

Turn me into collections for what? I paid everything and had a hefty $3,000 security deposit. I came into the house where they left a broken barbecue, our oven didn't work, the bathroom door was broken, the toilet and sink in our bathroom didn't work, and this is on day ONE. I had no choice but to stay and they removed everything. If I had a good experience I might have tried being good back to them but they have been nothing but problems. They have never had an issue with us while we were actually here because we are good tenants that pay rent. We have done NO damage to the house AT ALL but this company will want us to pay for the things that came broken when we moved into this horrid place.

And I moved out of my house at 18 on my own with no help from my parents, I don't see where your rude attitude comes from saying anything about my "mommy" who I haven't spoken with in years. You don't know anything about me and I'm shocked at what a failure of a human being you are.

I created this thread to ask for advice not to be attacked when I was the one that was screwed over.

By the way when I moved in they left a ton of furniture crap in the garage and a broken down barbecue in the backyard.

And I never said anything about lying on my application, what the hell are you talking about? You and my management company need to grow up and stop ripping people off.

Last edited by Yac; 04-27-2007 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: we do not use these kind of words here

Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,844,131 times
Quote:
#1 you need to clean up and completely clear out of the apartment - at the very least. If you don't you're delusional if you think you'll get your security deposit and/or get a good reference from the landlord.

#2 regarding your question about credit record - did the landlord have your social security number and contact information? If so, then late payments may indeed have been reported on your credit record (if concerned, then check your credit record via one or all of the bureaus - there's 3 of them). Rent and utility bills in your name are serious things. For some reason there are a lot of young people that just never get it; they make foolish assumptions. I'll make this eloquently clear: You need to pay all your bills/debts on time.

#3 You've described a common college-roommate situation I've seen multiple times. To avoid this in the future you need to do 2 things... first, never share a space with so many co-renters. Beyond you and perhaps two close friends, don't ever go with a higher number; because you lose accountability for just about everything with more roommates. Second, never co-rent with someone you don't know very well. If you do, then ensure your name is not on the lease or utility bills - because as you may have figured out, you do not want to be the one with the affected credit record, nor being ultimately accountable for any property damage.

#4 You need to understand something - you're living in someone else's house on someone else's property. Someone has in the past or currently pays a mortgage bill along with other bills for that place. Respect that if it was yours you would want it taken care of by tenents; not run down by immature college students who don't give a crap. If you treat your landlord and/or their property the way you wish to be treated (or would want your property treated), then you're on the right path. An all too predictable response to this is that the place you moved into was broken-down or a dump... my response to that is "tough!"; it was your choice to move in and start renting there. You need to live with that decision AND still respect the place - even if that means returning it in slightly better condition then it was given to you - because that is the right thing to do.

In the future choose your places to rent more selectively. I've seen people choose absolute dumps/or places in dangerous areas to save a whopping 50.00 per month and I wonder ... what the heck were they thinking? Othertimes I've seen people shack up with 4 or 5 other people so they have monthly rent in the 200-250.00 range... and once again I think they were fools because without individual renter accountability there is always a bad end result. The best rental situations will be where you find a reasonably priced place in good condition, you also feel comfortable with the landlord or their property manager the first time you see or speak to each other, and when it's just you and perhaps one good friend co-renting together.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,733,798 times
Quote:
Turn me into collections for what? I paid everything and had a hefty $3,000 security deposit. I came into the house where they left a broken barbecue, our oven didn't work, the bathroom door was broken, the toilet and sink in our bathroom didn't work, and this is on day ONE. I had no choice but to stay and they removed everything. If I had a good experience I might have tried being good back to them but they have been nothing but problems. They have never had an issue with us while we were actually here because we are good tenants that pay rent. We have done NO damage to the house AT ALL but this company will want us to pay for the things that came broken when we moved into this horrid place.

All I have to say is **** you! Your the kind of slumlord filth that shouldn't be allowed to own anything.
First of all... you did not have to stay. You should of done a walk thru of the property before you signed a lease.
I am a landlord and a tenant ( at this moment). I do a "drop in on my tenants everyother month". My tenants have been with me 3 years now, and are under strict lease agreement, they did not have to sign or stay if they did not agree. If I see things that need to be taken care of and are not, I have it taken care of and my tenants recieve a bill for the service. I am not a slum lord. Maybe, just maybe, the people that lived there before you left the mess you found. Does that justify YOU leaving a mess. You state that you don't even intend to clean before you leave. Is the place a slum because of tenants leaving it in a deplorable condition? Have some respect for yourself, and do the right thing. Clean the place and remove your furniture.

You signed the lease as an adult, now act like one!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
First of all... you did not have to stay. You should of done a walk thru of the property before you signed a lease.
I am a landlord and a tenant ( at this moment). I do a "drop in on my tenants everyother month". My tenants have been with me 3 years now, and are under strict lease agreement, they did not have to sign or stay if they did not agree. If I see things that need to be taken care of and are not, I have it taken care of and my tenants recieve a bill for the service. I am not a slum lord. Maybe, just maybe, the people that lived there before you left the mess you found. Does that justify YOU leaving a mess. You state that you don't even intend to clean before you leave. Is the place a slum because of tenants leaving it in a deplorable condition? Have some respect for yourself, and do the right thing. Clean the place and remove your furniture.
I lived there for two years and they didn't come to our property even once during that time. And like I said this was my first lease so I didn't know any better. When we walked through anything we pointed out they said would be fixed by the time we moved in, then it wasn't. If the people before left a mess then it is the companies responsibility to clean it, not screw the next people. If you moved into a filthy place should you be the one to clean it? Would you think highly of your rental company?

If you're a good manager I don't really care, that doesn't mean my company is and that doesn't mean I didn't get screwed over. There was NO reason for your initial attack AT ALL and it is VERY insulting and angering.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM

As I said this was my first lease and I had no experience. My next place I'm moving into has good reviews and looks very nice. It will only be my fiancee and I so there should be no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or