Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
^Yeah, Disney's a week of entertainment and near civilization, the Grand Canyon is in the middle of some h*llish desert and is dull after like 2 minutes.
Yes, Disney is a week of entertainment if you:

1. Have children.
2. Have an excess of disposable income.
3. Do not mind being lost in a throng.

I am not saying you are wrong; Disney World just may be the perfect destination. For you.

Not every person sees the shiny sheen as attractive and some prefer to get as far away from "civilization" as possible when they are on vacation.

So, you enjoy your trips to Disney World, and I will enjoy my trips to the solitude of the Guadalupe Mountains. In the end we are both happy, and that is really all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Disney World is only overrated if your above the age of 12. I think museums are really overrated and I get bored with them quick. NASA in Houston was overrated to me as well.
Amen!!! I have been to only a few museums that I actually wanted to visit again. If the museum doesn't have HUGE dinosaur bones, a virtual simulator, or a really cool IMAX theater, I'd rather pass.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
I agree with most of the items on that list..Bourbon Street and Fisherman's Wharf are especially overrated--it's kind of sad that so many tourists vist New Orleans and San Francisco and consider those two places to be the must see spots. Lowest common demominator tourist traps..Practically anywhere in the French Quarter or Garden District or even Uptown is more worthwhile to visit than Bourbon Street.

However, Plymouth Rock and the Alamo might be overrated, but if you have any interest in history, I'd consider them places that you'd at least want to visit. The Alamo is fairly small, but I can't imagine going to San Antonio, and not seeing it, especially given the historical context of the building and the fact that it looms so large over Texas history. That being said, there is going to be much more interesting places in San Antonio to spend most of your trip there, but it's worth a stop.

Hollywood Boulevard is overrated if you're expecting it to be some sort of movieland theme park--as a neighborhood though there are interesting places around there.

I'd add the Space Needle and it's extremely overpriced restaurant to a list of overrated tourist attractions. Seattle is a city of beautiful vistas from various points--you can almost get the same view as the Space Needle for free on Queen Anne Hill.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-17-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Part of what makes a touristy area overrated is the fact that it's popular. What's more popular than disney world? Being popular only enhances its ability to be overrated, not diminishes it.
EXACTLY!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Colorado Rocky Mountains. They are boring and all look alike.
The Rockies are a range system. A range is defined as contiguous landforms created by the same geologic process. That is why they look "the same".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Well thats what you think.. others think different.
The mountains here in New Mexico all look different
The reason there are a lot of different looking mountains in New Mexico is because most of them are not part of the Rockies. They are part of different ranges formed by different geologic processes. You have mountains that are part of the Rocky mountain range and they all, being formed by the same process, look similar. You have mountains that are part of the Rio Grande rift like the Sandias and Manzanos and they look similar to one another, but different from the Rockies. You have mountains created by tertiary Volcanism like Mt. Taylor and Mt. Sedgewick and they look similar to one another, but different from the Rockies. Then you have the Jemez, another volcanic range and it has its own unique look...

But the Rockies, whether in New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Alberta, etc. are all part of the Rocky Mountain uplift and share the same characteristics only differing in relatively slight ways through erosional and ecological characteristics resulting from variations in elevation and latitude (i.e. more 'above tree-line' territory the higher/further north you go and more Ponderosa in drier areas, and so on.)

ABQConvict

Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Fisherman's Wharf
Carmel
Crazy Horse Memorial - when it's finished I'm sure it will be as spectacular as Mt Rushmore but heaven's sake, they've been constructing it for over FIFTY YEARS! Surely there's gotta a better way to make this happen?!
Fifth Avenue, NYC

Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I have not seen all of these but I'll share my thoughts on the ones that I have:

Wall Street: Most unimpressive. But it's close proximity to numerous other more interesting attractions.
Empire State Building: No way in Hell was I going to pay the outrageous charge for an elevator ride to the top of a building!
San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf: I think this a fine attraction. Pier 39 is a little shlockey but kids should love it. I do agree that the Musee Mechanique Museum is a worthwhile stop.
The Alamo: A let-down.
Petrified Forest: Well, it wasn't a destination for us, but it was a stop along the way during our northern Arizona road trip and we enjoyed it.
Bourbon Street: We enjoy it, but there is so much more to be enjoyed in New Orleans than this. (But, other than that, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the French Quarter!)
Times Square: I thought it was awesome when I went to NY last year. It was something to do at night. But unless one ahs plans to see a show or two ~ which I didn't ~ there really isn't much else to keep you interested for long.

In response to others listed here:

Carmel: Too cutsey and gaggy for me. Was not impressed.
Grand Canyon: I cannot imagine anyone not finding this spectacular. But I guess one has to have an appreciation for deserts (which I do).
Disneyland: I think it's terrific, though awfully expensive for a family. Been there twice and it was enough.

I will admit that I was little let-down with the San Diego Zoo.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 08-20-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,415 times
I would add Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, and the Empire State Building to that list.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,180 times
Disney World.... long lines, extremely hot, average rides, 18 billion rude tourists, etc. It's one overhyped money sucking emprie.

Orlando.... sure, it has theme parks. But it's basically one sprawling, poorly planned strip mall.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstn421 View Post
Hollywood?! Disneyworld?!! The Rocky Mountains?!!! Bourbon street?!!!! Times Square?!!!!!! NEW YORK CITY??!!!!!!!!!! THE GRAND ******* CANYON??!!!!! I'm deeply in love with all those places. And you call yourselves American??!!

Anyways probalby Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. It has the most touristy, trashy, overpriced crap I have ever layed eyes on. And it really is sad, because it ruins the wonderful Great Smoky Mountains.

Here's what an average section of the main road in Gatlinburg looks like:

A "Your going to Hell" church
A XXX shop
A gun shop that sells AK-47s(CLEARLY used for hunting)
A Motel 6/Super 8
A "Let's rob and exploit people by potraying Southerners as ignorant redneck hillbillies" mini golf course/shop/go cart track/theater/"museum"/resturant/etc.
A pancake house
And Dollywood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.