U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,511 times

Advertisements

I really hope you guys can help us out. My fiance and I are looking for an area with the following in mind:
1. Inexpensive housing- a modest 2 bedroom condo/house in the 100k range
2. Run down or blue collar areas are ok, as long as the crime rate is pretty low.
3.Schools don't matter, we aren't planning on having children for a few years at least.
4.As for as employment goes, as long as it is close to someplace where my fiance can work in order entry or allocations or pretty much any job with his qualifications and be paid something in the 30k range. I guess we'd be looking for areas with distribution centers.(I work from home so I don't have to worry about a job)
5. Weather isn't super important as long as the winters aren't too severe.
6. Bonuses but not deal breakers,(AKA, while I'm dreaming) areas that are near colleges, independent theaters, have open minded liberal people. A climate with lots of sunshine and mild winters. It would also be nice if we could stay within a day's drive of our home towns which are in northeastern NJ.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,387,729 times
The Charlotte area would be good and seems to be in line with what you mentioned. Some of the suburban towns around Charlotte that are safe and would be in your home price range would fit the bill too. As far as liberal people, there is a very good mix of lib./con./mod. (something that I love) who get along well. You should have no problem finding your nich. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslinP View Post
I really hope you guys can help us out. My fiance and I are looking for an area with the following in mind:
1. Inexpensive housing- a modest 2 bedroom condo/house in the 100k range
2. Run down or blue collar areas are ok, as long as the crime rate is pretty low.
3.Schools don't matter, we aren't planning on having children for a few years at least.
4.As for as employment goes, as long as it is close to someplace where my fiance can work in order entry or allocations or pretty much any job with his qualifications and be paid something in the 30k range. I guess we'd be looking for areas with distribution centers.(I work from home so I don't have to worry about a job)
5. Weather isn't super important as long as the winters aren't too severe.
6. Bonuses but not deal breakers,(AKA, while I'm dreaming) areas that are near colleges, independent theaters, have open minded liberal people. A climate with lots of sunshine and mild winters. It would also be nice if we could stay within a day's drive of our home towns which are in northeastern NJ.

Thanks in advance!
Atlanta GA I dont know how far it is to NJ but it is only 9 hrs to DC
culturally diverse exciting things to do I think you could manage here all right

Old 04-26-2007, 08:41 PM

30,239 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Give parts of Northeastern Pennsylvania a shot! We're certainly very near to NJ (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, for example, is only about an hour from the border), and we fit most of your other requirements. The region is a hub for distribution centers, and Circuit City and Lowe's are the two "new kids on the block" in that respect with new centers in Moscow and Pittston respectively. Let me know if you'd like to learn more about certain parts of the region.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 24,193 times
If you wouldn't mind telling, what kind of work can you do from home? I am currently look for work.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,673,361 times
I also thought of the Atlanta 'burbs...many of the surrounding towns are quite nice and affordable, and the proximity of the city all but guarantees job placement. I have also heard very good things about Athens, Georgia, but I have not been there.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,511 times
Sarah7- It's hard to give a short answer to that question but it's internet based.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:34 AM

612 posts, read 2,546,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
Atlanta GA I dont know how far it is to NJ but it is only 9 hrs to DC
culturally diverse exciting things to do I think you could manage here all right
Totally agree!

Old 04-28-2007, 01:50 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,181,014 times
I think the drive from Atlanta to NNJ is a bit much to try and tackle in one day. Maps.google.com estimates over 14 hours from Atlanta to Hackensack.

I'd suggest anywhere along the I-81 corridor. That highway is one of the nation's busiest trucking corridors. It's a major connection between the Northeast and elsewhere, and it's sort of an inland bypass of I-95. It's close enough to the major Northeast cities but far enough out that land is cheap and distribution centers are numerous.

I'd suggest the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania (Allentown/Bethlehem). Tons of distr centers there, nice small cities, close to NYC and Philadelphia, local colleges provide some extra culture.

Farther down 81 you have places like Harrisburg (don't know much about it), Hagerstown MD which isn't too far from DC and the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Roanoke, VA is about 7.5 hours from Hackensack so it's not an unreasonable driving distance for an occasional family visit.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 AM

206 posts, read 871,046 times
Check out West Virginia, we're considering relocating to Charleston from AZ. Nice area, low crime, affordable housing, w/in a days drive to many great places, not too conservative. I can't wait to move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or