U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 PM

554 posts, read 2,279,586 times

Advertisements

Detroit.
Miami.
Los Angeles.

IMO. You always hear about the poverty in these cities, but when you see them on TV, the first thing you see are mansions on the coast and all of that stuff (well, maybe not for Detroit, but if you factor in the wealthy suburbs compared to the inner city).
America has a high, and growing, income inequality, and nothing is being done about it. The poor are getting poorer, and the rich are getting richer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:11 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,153,737 times
The poor are getting poorer, and the rich are getting richer

I couldn't agree more here but will add this...

The rich is a small minoritity and middle class is now becoming the poor. In fact, I do not really see or feel a middle class where I live presently, far from it in fact.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:13 AM

66 posts, read 294,474 times
I'm seeing a bigger gap in the past few years- I agree the middle part seems to be struggling now and finding it harder to bridge the gap to the next level(the "lower rich"?) They seem more "stuck" there where I remember families struggling but still able to improve things down the road. People I've met in the upper group seem to be thriving and growing (but still have to work hard, etc.). Neighborhoods I've seen are either new developments or places that visibly need work. I wonder though if part of it isn't that we're more mobile and not willing to invest the time/money since we plan to move elsewhere in a few years or the increase in people who've bought property as an investment to turnover at a profit (so only make superficial improvements).

For instance I have a niece and nephew about 8 yrs. apart. The older one was able to choose among several houses in a decent area 10 yrs ago and lives pretty well. The younger recently married one (higher income than the older sib) is having a really hard time finding an affordable starter home in a comparable neighborhood.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:27 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,153,737 times
Home values are over inflated now, but wait.... that will change.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,281,351 times
Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit suburbs have middle class people, though. Los Angeles area is either ghetto or wealthy, outside of the city.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM

216 posts, read 889,743 times
My city is VERY segregated by economic class. A freeway runs right down the middle of the city. To the East of the freeway is the older, poorer area that everyone hates, to the West are either gleaming mansions, brand new homes or well kept older homes. This city has always been divided, it's sad.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:16 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
The poor are getting poorer, and the rich are getting richer

I couldn't agree more here but will add this...

The rich is a small minoritity and middle class is now becoming the poor. In fact, I do not really see or feel a middle class where I live presently, far from it in fact.
I don't agree with above statement. I'm a optimist and that stuff just sounds dire.

Chicago burbs -- middle class you need a lot of money to make it that way. If middle class means Honda and apartment thats not middle class. Middle class means house and couple cars in garage, family trips. Yeah you need 2 parent income in illinois 150k+ joint per year, middle class life.

However, plenty of non big city areas I have been, there's more of a middle class, lower home prices, stuff is nicer like that.

Yeah some people gonna get paid more now or at least temporarily like company leaders, lawyers, doctors (hell i'm going into law.) But overall stuff may lag behind but you see working class jobs still back upwards.

We need to not outsource, do stupid stuff like hire mexican truck drivers instead of Americans, not hire illegal aliens. Income and living standard is certainly happier and more equal now than in was back in the 1800s. It would be cool to have middle class sort of 1950s, 1960s lifestyle back, maybe its in the future cards dunno.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM

766 posts, read 2,269,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
I don't agree with above statement. I'm a optimist and that stuff just sounds dire.

Chicago burbs -- middle class you need a lot of money to make it that way. If middle class means Honda and apartment thats not middle class. Middle class means house and couple cars in garage, family trips. Yeah you need 2 parent income in illinois 150k+ joint per year, middle class life.

However, plenty of non big city areas I have been, there's more of a middle class, lower home prices, stuff is nicer like that.

Yeah some people gonna get paid more now or at least temporarily like company leaders, lawyers, doctors (hell i'm going into law.) But overall stuff may lag behind but you see working class jobs still back upwards.

We need to not outsource, do stupid stuff like hire mexican truck drivers instead of Americans, not hire illegal aliens. Income and living standard is certainly happier and more equal now than in was back in the 1800s. It would be cool to have middle class sort of 1950s, 1960s lifestyle back, maybe its in the future cards dunno.
I also don't agree with that statement, but I look at it a different way. I don't see the upper class a a small minority but rather a very large and significant group (the majority of Americans now live in suburbs, which are generally affluent, while top cities are rapidly gentrifying). It's a large misnomer that "the poor are getting poorer" - the poor aren't getting poorer in real dollar terms, but their incomes aren't rising anywhere near the same rate.

To me, wishing outsourcing will go away is futile. In a global economy, if businesses can get the same quality of work at a lower cost somewhere else, then they are going to send the work there. If U.S. companies don't take advantage of those lower costs, then their Asian and European competitors will do it instead and eventually kill off the U.S. companies completely. Protectionism might sound appealing as a quick fix, but all that will do is put shackles on American companies. Imagine if the companies in Silicon Valley become saddled with extra costs and can't compete with their more nimble foreign competitors. Well, we saw what happened to American car companies when they tried to use protectionist calls of "buying American" instead of improving their cost structures - they eventually got smashed in the end. We don't want Silicon Valley to become the information technology equivalent of Detroit, which isn't that crazy of a thought if artificial cost barriers are put into place.

In the long run, protectionism always backfires. We do not live in an economic vacuum in this world.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,298 times
Yes, Portland is extremely divided by class, the more affluent live on the west side, and the lower incomes live on the east, north and souteast side, therefore there is not much of Portland except the West side that has higher incomes except a spot of two in the other areas.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,446,074 times
Every place is divided by class, I guess the question is "how much do you notice it" --- right?

It's much less apparent in Austin than what I've seen in San Francisco (for example) but I think a major reason why it's not so visible here is that the poorest of the poor live on the far fringes of town where nobody ventures unless they live there. Downtown is becoming very wealthy and the old east-central ghetto is gentrifying really fast so it LOOKS like people are mixing well, but that's just because lots of people with money are snatching up homes next to long-time residents who are impoverished.

The city government and developers are under a lot of pressure to integrate housing and almost all new developments in the city limits are required to include a certain amount of "affordable housing units" --- this is a clumsy way of trying to engineer a solution to a problem that is systemic. It's like putting a bandaid on malignant tumor, it does little good to treat the symptoms while ignoring the fact that the patient is dying. Most of the posts on this page have already identified the disease: inequity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or