Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM

18,977 posts, read 32,535,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
I like the "mosquito net" part! I should make it four things---clean air, mosquito-free, trees that give shades and sun.

What happens to the SF Bay area the rest of the year? Do the fog always go away in the afternoons? Or you don't see the sun for whole days in winter?
Along the coast the fog is more prevalent in the summer months. Sometimes is may not burn off depending on where you are but many places it usually does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,769,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Thanks.

The Mt Charleston outside Vegas has tall trees with shades? Trees with shades in Zion Park?
Yes to both.

But both are in the desert (high desert - so there is lots of vegetation even in the valleys), so the shady trees are more on the mountains.

I hiked in Zion, near the lodge, to the emerald pools - the lower, middle, and upper emerald pools - which are on a small mountain (actually, the walls of a canyon, but it's the same effect as climbing a small mountain). As soon as you start to climb the shady trees increase, and it's so shady you really walk in shade most of the way. At the top, there are plenty of trees and shade, but of course there is some exposure to sun up there when you are not right near trees.

The same thing at Mt. Charleston, basically. In both places there are lots of pinon pines and even some deciduous trees.

Mt. Charleston is really incredible because you drive from the valley up the mountain, and as you're driving and increasing in elevation, your surroundings change from sagebrush, cactus, and a few sparse joshua trees to thick forests of pines and other trees.

And in both Zion and Mt. Charleston, because they are in the desert, there are hardly any bugs, especially no mosquitos which prefer humid, damp conditions. I'll try to dig up pictures if I can find any of my own, or I'll link you to some on the web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.