U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 23,789 times

Advertisements

HELP!! Driving with son, X-mother-in-law and father-in-law from Boston to Savannah and want to find shortest, safest route and avoid NY and NJ because heard they were difficult to cross due to traffic, construction and poorly id'd signs and exits... also need to know some good places to eat along way and/or stay the night that are inexpensive, clean and safe...Never been further than Springfield, MA...help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 PM

7,229 posts, read 10,203,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannejabour View Post
HELP!! Driving with son, X-mother-in-law and father-in-law from Boston to Savannah and want to find shortest, safest route and avoid NY and NJ because heard they were difficult to cross due to traffic, construction and poorly id'd signs and exits... also need to know some good places to eat along way and/or stay the night that are inexpensive, clean and safe...Never been further than Springfield, MA...help!
Coming from Long Island I am certainly used to traffic but I completely understand what your saying. In addition when driving on a long drive, traffic jams seems even worse than normal.

I would also say you should avoid the Washington D.C. area as I was hit hard by the Beltway twice recently (and once was early on a Sunday afternoon!). So I came up with this for you, although it will add miles to your trip, it will be far more scenic and less stressful.

First you need to get to the Columbia, South Carolina area and get on I-77 North. You stay on this until you hit I-81 in Southern Virginia which you will take northeastwards through Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania all the way to Binghampton New York! You will be in the mountains and valleys the whole way, very scenic.

From Binghampton you hop on I-88 and go east toward Albany. Near Albany you will get on the NYS Thruway (I-90) which you will take east to the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) and then Boston.

Some suggestions:

In Northern Virginia you will be passing through the famous Shenadoah Valley, which has the Natural Bridge, quite a few caves like Luray Caverns, Shenadoah National Park and some interesting civil war sites including the Lee Chapel in Lexington.

In Pennsylvania you will see beautiful farmland nestled in hilly areas (some of it farmed by the famous Amish!) and you will be fairly close to both Gettysburg and the great Hershey Park.

In New York you will see a side of the state alot of people do not even know exists. You might want to get off I-88 at one point because you will passing very close to Cooperstown (baseball) and Oneonta (soccer). Also at Albany you might want to take a detour up the Northway (I-87) to the Saratoga Springs/Lake George area, a major tourist area.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM

7,229 posts, read 10,203,485 times
After rereading this I noticed I got it mixed up and you want to go from Boston to Savannah, not the other way around! Sorry about that, just reverse what I said.

Not sure how old your son is but there is a Six Flags in Queensbury, New York called "The Great Escape". Sort of right between Saratoga and Lake George.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 PM

33,061 posts, read 56,410,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Coming from Long Island I am certainly used to traffic but I completely understand what your saying. In addition when driving on a long drive, traffic jams seems even worse than normal.

I would also say you should avoid the Washington D.C. area as I was hit hard by the Beltway twice recently (and once was early on a Sunday afternoon!). So I came up with this for you, although it will add miles to your trip, it will be far more scenic and less stressful.

First you need to get to the Columbia, South Carolina area and get on I-77 North. You stay on this until you hit I-81 in Southern Virginia which you will take northeastwards through Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania all the way to Binghampton New York! You will be in the mountains and valleys the whole way, very scenic.

From Binghampton you hop on I-88 and go east toward Albany. Near Albany you will get on the NYS Thruway (I-90) which you will take east to the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) and then Boston.

Some suggestions:

In Northern Virginia you will be passing through the famous Shenadoah Valley, which has the Natural Bridge, quite a few caves like Luray Caverns, Shenadoah National Park and some interesting civil war sites including the Lee Chapel in Lexington.

In Pennsylvania you will see beautiful farmland nestled in hilly areas (some of it farmed by the famous Amish!) and you will be fairly close to both Gettysburg and the great Hershey Park.

In New York you will see a side of the state alot of people do not even know exists. You might want to get off I-88 at one point because you will passing very close to Cooperstown (baseball) and Oneonta (soccer). Also at Albany you might want to take a detour up the Northway (I-87) to the Saratoga Springs/Lake George area, a major tourist area.
Can't rep ya(website not letting me) but this is a very informative post.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,605,812 times
For a shorter route, which misses the worst of the worst but adds a bit less distance than the above route:
I- 90 W to I-84 W
I-84 W to US-6 W
US-6 W to I-84 W (I-84 dog legs - US-6 is the leg)
I-84 W to I-87 S
I-87 S to I-78 / US-22 W
I-78 / US-22 W to I-81 S
I-81 S to I-77 S
I-77 S to I-26 E
I-26 E to I-95 S

If you are willing to trade off the Baltimore, DC, Richmond congestion you can cut off via I-83 S at Harrisburg and pick up I-95 S in Baltimore then take it all the rest of the way.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 PM

402 posts, read 770,331 times
you can't avoid both. you could potentially drive around New Jersey, but you can't avoid New York.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 AM

63 posts, read 150,076 times
After looking at the map it looks like you should take I-90 West out of Boston until you get to I-84. Take I-84 West until you get to Scranton, PA where you will take I-81 South until you get to I-77 South. Take I-77 through Charlotte, NC to Columbia, SC. Take I-26 East to I-95 South which will bring you to Savannah. This should take about 18-19 hours, which is about 2.5 hours more than going through NY, NJ, Philadelphia, Baltimore, & D.C (traffic not included).

Old 08-20-2009, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 23,789 times
Talking shortest route boston to savannah avoid NY & NJ

Thank you all so very much!! Feeling better about this trip already! Just a couple of questions, what does it mean when you say [FONT=Verdana](I-84 dog legs - US-6 is the leg)? Are there any tricky spots along the way where someone (who can't find her way out of a paperbag headed toward the opening) might take the wrong turn, exit because the signage is not well marked... And, any B&B suggestions? Favorite restaurants? [/FONT]

Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,718,982 times
I used to make a similar trip when I traveled down to school in South Carolina. We usually would just take I-95 because it's the easiest and the traffic isn't that bad. Plus you get to drive through really cool cities! haha. However we did travel the quiet way a couple times. In order to avoid all the city traffic of Philly, DC, NYC, etc. we took:

I-95 South to 287 to 80 to 81 South all the way thru most of VA. Then take 77 South. We would break onto I-85 in Charlotte because we were heading to Clemson (out by Georgia), but from the looks of the map you should continue on 77 all the way to Columbia, to 26, to 95 and you're there!

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM

97 posts, read 81,360 times
Go across on the Mass turnpike to 84. Go Southwest on 84 until you get to end at Scranton PA. get on 81 South here and follow it all the way to Virginia around Wytheville. Go South on 77 until Columbia SC then go South on 26 until 95. Go South on 95 until Savannah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or