Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,781 times

Advertisements

Go Overland Park!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM

97 posts, read 102,046 times
I am glad that when I have kids that they will not be growing up in NYC because I don't want them to be ignorant and closeminded

I would be glad to raise kids in suburban Portland (where I am now) as well as most places in Texas, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and most other places

The people in these states are much more openminded and well rounded than those in NYC

Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I used to live in Overland Park (one of the cities on the list).
It is too crowded, pretentious, neuvo-riche, bland, and all roads are at right angles.
I would say the schools there are solid and is good for families. However, single people would be wise to move to a safe area in the urban core of KC, MO instead of a large sprawl fest of a city.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Go Overland Park!
Well, it is 100x better than Olathe or Gardner

Old 08-23-2009, 01:49 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoy1 View Post
I am glad that when I have kids that they will not be growing up in NYC because I don't want them to be ignorant and closeminded

I would be glad to raise kids in suburban Portland (where I am now) as well as most places in Texas, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and most other places

The people in these states are much more openminded and well rounded than those in NYC

How would you know? You were never a child in NYC, give me a break. You get exposed to things that kids no where else in the country are exposed to

Kids who grow up in NYC are far from close-minded. You're around people from all over the world, all different backgrounds. It's the exact opposite. You really think someone from a small town would be more open-minded? LOL, ha. That's far from the truth.

I really think you're jealous of NYC. It's sad.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
lWhat his coworkers, who had moved to Houston, told my husband was that the schools were terrible. He would have to put his kids in private school which was very expensive. Together with high housing costs, he would end up losing money, and have a lower standard of living. They said it was not worth the transfer. I know at least 2 who moved back after a few years, even quitting their jobs to do so.

Last edited by TANaples; 08-23-2009 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Just one more dumb list, I guess it's practice for the cub reporters

Old 08-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Some posts above were deleted from the thread. A reminder to all to stick to discussing the list and resist the temptation to make personal asides or take swipes at individuals posting in the thread. This is not the City vs. City subforum, you are in General US. The expectations here are higher to stay on topic and keep these threads useful to folks who are relocating.

Quote:
This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Plano, TX happens to be one of the nicest suburbs in the Country.
Plano, Round Rock, and Sugar Land in Texas are all extremely similar and have the same traits. I'm surprised all 3 aren't on the list.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 PM

97 posts, read 102,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
How would you know? You were never a child in NYC, give me a break. You get exposed to things that kids no where else in the country are exposed to

Kids who grow up in NYC are far from close-minded. You're around people from all over the world, all different backgrounds. It's the exact opposite. You really think someone from a small town would be more open-minded? LOL, ha. That's far from the truth.

I really think you're jealous of NYC. It's sad.
Many friends that have lived in NYC have told me that NYC is a terrible place to raise children

Maybe Westchester is good for kids but not NYC.

You should venture out to other parts of the country outside of NY before passing judgement on whether they are good places to raise kids.

Most suburbs of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, San Antonio and many other places across America are wonderful places for kids to grow up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.