Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,055,985 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Michigan, specifically the Lansing/East Lansing area, where I grew up and went to college. I like it there, and eventually plan (hopefully) on moving back someday. A few years ago, I moved to State College, PA for grad school, also a place that I like, although it seems a bit smallish at times. As my grad school career comes to a close, I'm looking for places I might like to go, although I'm aware that it might end up being where I get a job and I'll have little choice in the matter. Anyway, due to the economic situation in Michigan and the fact that I'm a relatively young, single guy who wants to explore the world while I still can, I don't know if moving back there would be what I'd want to do right now.

1. I've never really lived in a big city. I might like it, but sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed at all the traffic and hubbub. Likewise, I don't think I'd want to go to small (I'd say a metro area of 200,000 or higher) because otherwise it can be a bit confining. If I were to go to a larger-ish city (since that seems to be where most people relocate,) I'd want to be somewhere that feels laid-back enough that I can avoid the craziness of traffic and long commutes.

2. I like walking places. I don't want to go somewhere that I have to drive two blocks to go pick up bread - that's something that should be done on foot. That being said, I would assume that I'll have a car and I'd want to be able to conveniently go grocery shopping and things of that nature.

3. I like uniqueness. National chains don't appeal to me - I'd want to go somewhere that has plenty of local options and is willing to showcase them. I'm sure I'll go to the national chains sometimes, but I already know about them.

4. I'm a big college football fan. Nothing is better than spending Saturdays in the fall tailgating with 50,000+ of your closest friends, laying in front of the television, or heading to a sports bar. I'd like to be in an environment where that is encouraged, although I recognize that the teams I'd root for might be different. Maybe I could adopt another team. I also like college basketball, but I'm not so big on the pro sports.

5. I'd consider myself more laid-back. I'm probably not going to be participating in nightlife much, so I don't need a trendy scene or anything. I'd be more interested in somewhere that people can just hang out whenever.

6. I'd prefer a place that is generally moderate to slightly moderate-liberal politically - nothing too liberal, and nothing too conservative.

7. In terms of variables like weather, it's not that big of a deal to me. I've lived with snow all of my life, and while it gets old at times, that's what summer is for. I don't think I'd like somewhere that doesn't get any cooler weather in the winter (like highs below 55-65 degrees,) but I'm fairly flexible. I don't need a ton of sunshine - I'm satisfied with what I've received where I've lived, and that isn't much - but I'm not opposed to it either. I think I would prefer green to brown, though.

So, given those criteria - what cities would you recommend me checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,762,115 times
I'm also one who has been raised within the Lansing metro since birth, though after my senior year I will be going away for college.

I would suggest for you to look at: Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, Portland,
Pittsburgh
Sounds like you may even like Indianapolis and Columbus. Could suggest tons of other cities, though due to your preferences such as weather ( San Diego great city, does not get snow) and politics ( San Francisco probably one of my favorites, may be a bit too liberal for you, does not get snow, and traffic).

Old 08-23-2009, 06:00 PM

559 posts, read 1,753,115 times
let me suggest NORMAN, OK. just over 100,000 ppl live there and its part of the okc metro ( 1.25 mill). id say it moderate politically, being a college town and all. obviously they have football. it being walkable, im not sure. dont spend much time there.... too far from me.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM

92,168 posts, read 122,417,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'm originally from Michigan, specifically the Lansing/East Lansing area, where I grew up and went to college. I like it there, and eventually plan (hopefully) on moving back someday. A few years ago, I moved to State College, PA for grad school, also a place that I like, although it seems a bit smallish at times. As my grad school career comes to a close, I'm looking for places I might like to go, although I'm aware that it might end up being where I get a job and I'll have little choice in the matter. Anyway, due to the economic situation in Michigan and the fact that I'm a relatively young, single guy who wants to explore the world while I still can, I don't know if moving back there would be what I'd want to do right now.

1. I've never really lived in a big city. I might like it, but sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed at all the traffic and hubbub. Likewise, I don't think I'd want to go to small (I'd say a metro area of 200,000 or higher) because otherwise it can be a bit confining. If I were to go to a larger-ish city (since that seems to be where most people relocate,) I'd want to be somewhere that feels laid-back enough that I can avoid the craziness of traffic and long commutes.

2. I like walking places. I don't want to go somewhere that I have to drive two blocks to go pick up bread - that's something that should be done on foot. That being said, I would assume that I'll have a car and I'd want to be able to conveniently go grocery shopping and things of that nature.

3. I like uniqueness. National chains don't appeal to me - I'd want to go somewhere that has plenty of local options and is willing to showcase them. I'm sure I'll go to the national chains sometimes, but I already know about them.

4. I'm a big college football fan. Nothing is better than spending Saturdays in the fall tailgating with 50,000+ of your closest friends, laying in front of the television, or heading to a sports bar. I'd like to be in an environment where that is encouraged, although I recognize that the teams I'd root for might be different. Maybe I could adopt another team. I also like college basketball, but I'm not so big on the pro sports.

5. I'd consider myself more laid-back. I'm probably not going to be participating in nightlife much, so I don't need a trendy scene or anything. I'd be more interested in somewhere that people can just hang out whenever.

6. I'd prefer a place that is generally moderate to slightly moderate-liberal politically - nothing too liberal, and nothing too conservative.

7. In terms of variables like weather, it's not that big of a deal to me. I've lived with snow all of my life, and while it gets old at times, that's what summer is for. I don't think I'd like somewhere that doesn't get any cooler weather in the winter (like highs below 55-65 degrees,) but I'm fairly flexible. I don't need a ton of sunshine - I'm satisfied with what I've received where I've lived, and that isn't much - but I'm not opposed to it either. I think I would prefer green to brown, though.

So, given those criteria - what cities would you recommend me checking out?
Try Syracuse. You have some nice neighborhoods close to the campus and could walk to the games. They also have shuttles from some of the parking lots near campus too. They play in the Carrier Dome and while the program has been down lately, I think they will be back soon. Syracuse Basketball is always good and it isn't a rare to see 25,000 people at games. SU's Lacrosse teams are very good and the sport is big in the area.

If you can't make it out to the games, you might want to get to Tully's sports Bar and Grill early to watch the games: Tully's Good Times

We also have another college in LeMoyne College that is going d1 in all sports in a couple of years: Le Moyne Athletics : Dolphins They already have a good D1 Baseball program and Women's Lacrosse team.

There are definitely 4 seasons here and the area is pretty much a live and let live area.

You might like neighborhoods like Westcott, University, Outer Comstock, Meadowbrook and most of Salt Springs in the city. DeWitt is an adjacent suburb that is close to campus that you might like and is sort of like Okemos to MSU(where I went to college at in the mid 90's).

Here's some information you might like to check out:
City of Syracuse
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.
Syracuse Neighborhood Information + Homes For Sale | CNYREALTOR.COM
Syracuse University , Syracuse University Athletics
Central New York Jobs
Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com , Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - - - , MapsKrieg - All Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale in Syracuse, NY
Welcome to Onondaga County, New York
Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,659,208 times
Omaha, Nebraska, and whats you occupation going to be?

Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,508,113 times
Pittsburgh, PA easily.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 PM

92,168 posts, read 122,417,225 times
Places like New Brunswick/Piscataway NJ, Columbus OH, Lincoln NE, Madison WI, Minneapolis, South Bend IN, College Park MD, Louisville, Cincinnati, Knoxville TN, Raleigh NC, Lexington KY and Iowa City IA, among many others.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 AM

6,337 posts, read 11,505,292 times
You'd have to pick your neighborhood carefully in Knoxville for the walkability factor but we would score at the top of the scale for football fever. Politics are moderate to slightly liberal in the city, conservative in the county.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 AM

136 posts, read 107,121 times
Pittsburgh. Wonderful city.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,975,396 times
It sounds like somewhere in the Northeast would be your best bet. The weather is about the same or milder than Michigan. Many of the cities are more walkable due to being older (pre automobile-age) and have decent public transportation. I aso find the Northeast to be more unique and cultured than most of the rest of the U.S. Some parts are quite liberal but the medium and smaller cities may not be as much. Obviously D.C. and N.Y.C. meet a lot of your criteria but are probably larger than what you want. Pittsburgh is a nice small big city (if that makes sense). A lot of the cities in Canada would meet your criteria minus the college football of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.