Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite urban radio stations in the US? Here is a good website for finding such stations:Darnell's Black Radio Guide, World-Wide Black Radio Stations

Here are mine:106 KMEL - HIP HOP AND R&B

POWER 106.9 - Today's R&B 'n' Old Skool

93.7 WBLK #1 For Hip Hop and R & B > Home

103.9 WDKX RADIO ROCHESTER NY

(( FM98WJLB.com )) DETROIT

WUFO 1080am - The Spirit of WNY

HOT 97 IS HIP HOP AND R&B

Power 105.1 fm - R&B, Hip Hop & Back in the Day Joints

Power99FM :: Bangin' Hip-Hop and R&B!

Power 96.5

WHUR FM 96.3 - Choose Your Channel

93.9 WKYS-Interactive Hip Hop and R&B!

Power 107 - WPRW-FM - Augusta,GA

WIZ FM 97.9, Georgia and South Carolina's Hottest Radio Station

and others as well........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
NYC's Hot 97 is the most popular hip hop radio station in the country. But people claim they have a bias towards New York artists, which is fine by me. It just annoys me when people listen to it on the Internet from 2,000 miles away and complain about the NYC bias. IT'S A NEW YORK STATION.

http://rap.about.com/od/hiphop101/p/Hot97.htm

Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
lol yeah, really.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Honestly, as far as hip hop and r&b, ALL of them are terrible. At least the ones under clear channel, radio-one, and cumulus. They are all terrible and this includes hot 97. They all have the same format of songs and they have annoying stupid radio personalities. This goes back to 1996 when radio started to really fall off. If you heard one, you heard them all.

Especially in DC. Both WPGC and WKYS are terrible stations.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Honestly, as far as hip hop and r&b, ALL of them are terrible. At least the ones under clear channel, radio-one, and cumulus. They are all terrible and this includes hot 97. They all have the same format of songs and they have annoying stupid radio personalities. This goes back to 1996 when radio started to really fall off. If you heard one, you heard them all.

I think it does vary, eventhough I understand what you are saying about Claer Channel's involvement in so many radio stations. I actually was into college radio a lot growing up, but the station from Syracuse University changed so much that it was tough listening to the station. I think some of the stations I listed aren't owned by Clear Channel and are more original. I know the Bay Area and Buffalo station play more local artists and things like that. I think WJLB from Detroit does too. Here's a Canadian station I like too:http://www.flow935.com/

Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I don't even listen to the radio station because of all the sucky songs they play. I just listen to my CDs.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't even listen to the radio station because of all the sucky songs they play. I just listen to my CDs.
haha Yep, when I do listen to the radio I listen to my "liberal brainwashing media" NPR. That's it.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it does vary, eventhough I understand what you are saying about Claer Channel's involvement in so many radio stations. I actually was into college radio a lot growing up, but the station from Syracuse University changed so much that it was tough listening to the station. I think some of the stations I listed aren't owned by Clear Channel and are more original. I know the Bay Area and Buffalo station play more local artists and things like that. I think WJLB from Detroit does too. Here's a Canadian station I like too:FLOW 93.5
I was hoping you would recognize WDKX 103.9 in Rochester. I generally don't like any rap since about 1998 or so, but DKX always plays alot of old school as well which makes it cool with me. Down here in Houston, I know there are alot of urban stations, but I don't really lissten to them.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:

Hip-Hop and R&B is TOTALLY diffrent styles of music. Just because it's urban, doesn't mean its "ghetto". Now, back to the subject. I usually listen to Sports Raido WFAN 660. Gotta love Steve Somers!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:

I agree with you about some urban radio getting lame(r), I was listening to the radio (107.9) and I they played a song that I already had downloaded so I turned to V103 and they had the same song playing only 2 or 3 seconds behind the other station (that's happened a lot though). One thing I do like is when they play some type of lunch-hour mix, other than that I'm listening to sports-talk or the I-Pod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.