Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post

Culturally, it's wonderful that the NE is preserving the past so well, but it's not exactly the epicenter of the future.
Not so fast my friend.

Yes the world economy is moderately shifting, especially with the Far East blossoming and culminating in the economic enhancement of the west coast of the US. That being said I don't ever see the day , definitely not in our lifetimes,where the Northeast IS NOT the lynchpin of the usa.

As long as DC is writing the checks No.Va. + MD. are going to get first dibs on any new govt. contracts.

As long as NYC is the worlds HQ's then No. Jersey/West ChesterCounty,CT. will be awash in global corporate franchises and roads paved with gold.

Boston and Philly areas will continue to fight over the leftover scraps that can't make it in DC or NYC, and take a certain pride that they have the countrys 4 most prestigious universities in their midst.

I have been impressed with the growth of Chicago, Atl,Houston and Dallas. Less impresssed with Phoenix as it seems its an escape hatch from overpriced California. However the Northeast is strong enough that they will continue to have 4 of the top 7 economies and that is going to be a tough nut to crack. The NE corridor is equivalent to one continuos stretch of LA-Chi-Hou-Dallas-Bay area-Atl. Throw in the fact that the NE basically gets to call the shots and I just don''t see the balance of power ever shifting.

Yes population growth may be trending south/southwest. But
High priced jobs seem to be anchored in the Northeast.
14 of the top 18 wealthiest counties (per capita income) are still in the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Not so fast my friend.
You score 100 bonus points for sounding like Lee Corso on ESPN's College Gameday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
14 of the top 18 wealthiest counties (per capita income) are still in the northeast.
There's a deceptive quality to stats like those. How is wealth measured, how is income measured, how do these figures compare with changes, cost of living, etc. Costs in the northeast are very high, necessitating high income and/or wealth. That doesn't equate to economic vitality, though it's useful as an indicator of enduring strength in that region's economy.

Frankly, I consider the slow-growth and prosperous region of New England to be a role model for the Sunbelt. Rampant mindless growth in my part of the country is wrecking the region and it will hurt many generations in the future to repair the damage caused by the stupidity of politicians and developers. The sunbelt has the most economic vitality but probably has the shakiest foundation for future stability and wealth. In that sense I agree with you that the NE has the superior status. A few other parts of the country are beginning to share in that, but it's very concentrated in the NE.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
The Washington DC area is sucking the life out of this country. They are getting rich on government contracts paid with our tax returns!
I have been there and seen it ... the 20-somethings and 30-somethings live like you would never believe.
I mean, their Acuras actually have leather seats, unlike mine.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:59 PM

157 posts, read 479,394 times
Default growth states

By: Joel Kotkin, Rankings by Michael A. Shires
Inc.com

Boomtowns '07

Riverside, Provo, McAllen, Sarasota… You may be surprised by the places that top our list of the hottest cities for entrepreneurs. Boomtowns and Texas have often gone hand in hand. Now, buoyed by high energy prices, a rebounding tech sector, and an influx of educated newcomers from the U.S. and abroad, the Lone Star State's economy is booming once again.

Just look at the big movers on Inc.'s annual survey of the nation's boomtowns. Among large cities, Dallas soared 18 spots, to No. 25 among the 65 large cities measured; Houston climbed 14 places, to No. 17; and Austin shot up 10 spots, to No. 16. Among small and midsize cities, McAllen, Midland, and Laredo posted similarly strong gains. "Everything is hitting on all cylinders," says Bill Gilmer, an economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. For the full article:
Boomtowns '07 - Job Growth - Small Business - Entrepreneurial Cities

A partial list of Inc.’s top 20 largest boomtown cities predicted for 2007 are:
  1. Las Vegas, NV
  2. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
  3. Fort Lauderdale, FL
  4. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
  5. Riverside-San Bernadine-Ontario, CA
  6. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL.
  7. Raleigh-Cary, NC
  8. Honolulu, Hawaii
  9. Northern Virginia
  10. Salt Lake City, UT
The next ten largest:
Top 20 Large Cities - Job Growth - Small Business - Entrepreneurial Cities

The top 20 mid-size cities.
Top 20 Midsize Cities - Job Growth - Small Business - Entrepreneurial Cities

The top 20 small cities.
Top 20 Small Cities - Job Growth - Small Business - Entrepreneurial Cities

The following cities which showed the greatest improvement over last year’s rankings.
  • #18 Midland, TX, up 121
  • #22 Dubuque, IA, up 178
  • #59 Baton Rouge, up 219
  • #77 Alexandria, LA, up 199
  • #82 Sumter, SC, up 280
  • #127 Lafayette, LA, up 186
  • #132 Pascagoula, MS, up 180
Here's the full list of the top 393 cities. If your city placed in the high 300s or experienced slippage in its ranking from last year’s, at least it’s on the list. My favorite cities didn’t even make the list at all.
Small Business Resources for the Entrepreneur from Inc.com (http://www.inc.com/bestcities/best.html?size=0&year=2007 - broken link)

For a quick glance, this map shows that the areas, which are experiencing the most growth, are the west coast, southwest, west, south, and southeastern coastal states.
Small Business Resources for the Entrepreneur from Inc.com (http://www.inc.com/bestcities/map.html - broken link)

Since these lists are only best guestimates, people should feel free to chime in with their thoughts if they disagree with any of the predictions and why.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-01-2007 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: poster requested edit

Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 PM

80 posts, read 461,692 times
Northern Virginia benefits from a fairly consistent economy and is somewhat immune to the factors affecting other areas as the presence of the nation's capital and the many services required by the federal government provide a solid foundation. The economic ramifications reverberate far beyond the federal agencies and the contractors.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
Boomtowns '07
Since these lists are only best guestimates, people should feel free to chime in with their thoughts if they disagree with any of the predictions and why.
I have no reason to dispute the facts about which places are booming, but I do question the sanity of humans considering that drought and hurricanes are the two most common widespread natural disasters and the places that are booming are in deserts and along the hurricane-prone coastal regions of the SE.

Los Angeles is experiencing its driest year in recorded history, yet the San Bernardino-Riverside area is booming? Along with Phoenix and Vegas? It's only a matter of time before a severe multi-year drought wreaks havoc with that region. Informal climate records from the 19th century indicate a drought persisting for 2 decades, wiping out the fledgling ranching industry at the time. There's only so much snow melt and aquifer water that these desert towns can gobble up before a limit is reached.

And the rate of growth in coastal Florida is nothing short of spectacular in its myopic stupidity.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I have no reason to dispute the facts about which places are booming, but I do question the sanity of humans considering that drought and hurricanes are the two most common widespread natural disasters and the places that are booming are in deserts and along the hurricane-prone coastal regions of the SE.

Los Angeles is experiencing its driest year in recorded history, yet the San Bernardino-Riverside area is booming? Along with Phoenix and Vegas? It's only a matter of time before a severe multi-year drought wreaks havoc with that region. Informal climate records from the 19th century indicate a drought persisting for 2 decades, wiping out the fledgling ranching industry at the time. There's only so much snow melt and aquifer water that these desert towns can gobble up before a limit is reached.

And the rate of growth in coastal Florida is nothing short of spectacular in its myopic stupidity.
And to think that wealth is in jeopardy of the California "big one" and the Florida "big ones"! Greed and selfishness has no limit, in the human mind. Nature, however will straighten things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The Washington DC area is sucking the life out of this country. They are getting rich on government contracts paid with our tax returns!
I have been there and seen it ... the 20-somethings and 30-somethings live like you would never believe.
I mean, their Acuras actually have leather seats, unlike mine.
We need to cut them off, before the whole US economy is sucked dry!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
In terms of the Midwest, Chicago and perhaps maybe Minneapolis are the only cities going, likely only Chicago. The other Midwestern cities surrounding Chicago like Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, maybe Minneapolis, don't know...they seem to all be fighting each other for Chicago's leftovers.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Dallas is going gangbusters right now. Construction cranes all over downtown - my neighborhood is still appreciating about a 10% rate

Old 05-19-2007, 01:19 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Question What do the Florida Haters have to say...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
Boomtowns '07
Riverside, Provo, McAllen, Sarasota… You may be surprised by the places that top our list of the hottest cities for entrepreneurs. Boomtowns and Texas have often gone hand in hand. Now, buoyed by high energy prices, a rebounding tech sector, and an influx of educated newcomers from the U.S. and abroad, the Lone Star State's economy is booming once again.

Just look at the big movers on Inc.'s annual survey of the nation's boomtowns. Among large cities, Dallas soared 18 spots, to No. 25 among the 65 large cities measured; Houston climbed 14 places, to No. 17; and Austin shot up 10 spots, to No. 16. Among small and midsize cities, McAllen, Midland, and Laredo posted similarly strong gains. "Everything is hitting on all cylinders," says Bill Gilmer, an economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. For the full article:
http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070501...-07-intro.html

A partial list of Inc.’s top 20 largest boomtown cities predicted for 2007 are:
  1. Las Vegas, NV
  2. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
  3. Fort Lauderdale, FL
  4. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
  5. Riverside-San Bernadine-Ontario, CA
  6. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL.
  7. Raleigh-Cary, NC
  8. Honolulu, Hawaii
  9. Northern Virginia
  10. Salt Lake City, UT
The next ten largest:
http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070501...-07-large.html

The top 20 mid-size cities.
http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070501...7-midsize.html

The top 20 small cities.
http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070501...-07-small.html

The following cities which showed the greatest improvement over last year’s rankings.
  • #18 Midland, TX, up 121
  • #22 Dubuque, IA, up 178
  • #59 Baton Rouge, up 219
  • #77 Alexandria, LA, up 199
  • #82 Sumter, SC, up 280
  • #127 Lafayette, LA, up 186
  • #132 Pascagoula, MS, up 180
Here's the full list of the top 393 cities. If your city placed in the high 300s or experienced slippage in its ranking from last year’s, at least it’s on the list. My favorite cities didn’t even make the list at all.
www.inc.com/bestcities/best.html?size=0&year=2007 (broken link)

For a quick glance, this map shows that the areas, which are experiencing the most growth, are the west coast, southwest, west, south, and southeastern coastal states.
http://www.inc.com/bestcities/map.html (broken link)

Alot of peops in FL don't know how good they have it...
Or how much WORSE things could be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.