U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 02:21 AM

171 posts, read 788,612 times

Advertisements

Please tell me where the best Lake communities or surrounding cities can be found? Name State and city and why you love it there. We are looking for the same as everyone else that has a growing family with small kids..... an affordable home, a good community, great schools, things to do etc.

I know this is all subjective, but this is the best way I can think of to read about all types of places all over the US that I would never otherwise think to research. I want to keep an open mind and explore my options before we make our final decision. So tell me about a great community that a family of five can call home.
Thanks so much in advance...
Kali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 07:31 AM

612 posts, read 2,544,705 times
My husband and I recently moved from Florida to the Atlanta area. We bought a vacation home on Norris Lake about 1/2 hour outside Atlanta. Very affordable and family friendly, but, it is being 'discovered' and prices are quickly rising.

Last edited by dlh891; 04-28-2007 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-28-2007, 01:46 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
What about beach cities?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 PM

Hi, thanks so much for your replies. Well we currently live near enough to the ocean and we love it. However, we are on the west coast in CA and we are priced out of the housing market here for "moving up" to the next house. We are still in our starter home, but our family has grown from 2 to 5 people. If we have to move any way we want to be sure to explore every opportunity before we do so.

This is the first time we will be able to move and "take work with us" as long as we are near enough to a major airport to travel (an hour drive is fine, if it greatly improves the quality of our community choices).

We love the ocean, mountains and lakes, basically the great outdoors and exploring with our kids etc. Since we are priced out here, I just didnt think a coastal community would be affordable at this point with trying to gain a bit more sq footage and where our windows aren't just 8 feet apart from our neighbors. Don't get me wrong, we love our neighbors, but would love some privacy, LOL.

So that's why I was considering lake communities if we need to give up some of the other things we have here. We are open to four seasons, but I do not want to live where it is snowing for 6 months, that's just too much for a first timer to snow, LOL.

Here's hoping you all can help me. Please tell me about your great town and the people there love it. Give me some places to look for to call home. We would be leaving behind a great many friends and support to start over, but feel if we do not even try we will never know what could have been the quality of life we could give our kids.

Thanks all for your time.
Kali

Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,448,112 times
With what you describe, I think you should look into the area around eastern Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. There are lots of lakes (mostly small ones, but a few larger ones, too) in the area, and home prices are still pretty reasonable. I know a lot of SoCal residents are packing up and moving that direction. The biggest drawback to that area is that it does tend to get some tornadoes from time to time. I have also heard that Texas has high property taxes, so that may be something you want to check into.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Jdavid thanks for you time and information in your post. I surely appreicate it and will check into it.
Regards, Kali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or