U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM

5,964 posts, read 7,146,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
I'm just wondering where you would feel more scared being in - a hillybilly area infested with rednecks and racists or a ghetto area infested with criminals, gangs, drugs, loud noise, etc. Most ghettos have very high African-American/Hispanic populations, so if a person is white, he or she would NOT want be there. Same thing with a black person, if he were to be in a hillybilly area like parts of PA or GA. But how about for others like Chinese, Indians, Jews, etc. I'm asian and I'd **** in my pants if I were in either one (Hillybilly or Ghetto) ...
Well I'm white and actually I don't want to be in either area. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

3,385 posts, read 3,866,868 times
Ha! I live in a hillbilly ghetto smack dab in the middle of a minor metropolitan area. It's right nice here, lots of trees and greenery around.

So keep up the anti-hillbilly hype folks, it might keep the developers at bay.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,455,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
me, i would rather live in a ghetto than a hillbilly town.
Me Too, I grew up in North Philly at leastt your not being hated because you are an outsider.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM

8,992 posts, read 16,274,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
As long as you are white. If I was black, I would never venture out into the sticks.
That's the difference between north and south, in the south black folks also live in "the sticks". Here in Alabama the MOST rural counties are majority black.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 08-26-2009 at 09:50 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 PM

109 posts, read 256,603 times
I'm used to the ghetto so I'd say ghetto.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 PM

491 posts, read 439,525 times
Because I am white and live near hillbillys I would rather be scared in the ghetto. I live in the South and you really do not see that much racism going on as you would think so. There are a few racist but for the most part people get along.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:54 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,764,688 times
"Hillbilly" areas do not bother me in the least. But I've been in ghetto areas that gave made me uncomfortable enough to leave. Walking by two storefronts with the windows full of bullet holes ~ as I did in San Francisco several years ago ~ I would take that as a red flag and get the hell out of there. However, when I spent a day in Harlem (NY) last fall, I felt fine, although I wouldn't venture out there by night by myself.

Where I live I will NOT walk around at night by myself! I've read of enough late-night rapes and abductions in the local paper to instill some common sense in me.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 AM

7,740 posts, read 8,232,742 times
Default Deliverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Guess that answers the OP's question once and for all. After all, we all know that Deliverance is based entirely on clear reality, not the least bit on stereotypes.
I thought that noland123 was saying that people can suffer discrimination for something other than race, color. In the movie, the locals didn't like the "city slickers".

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 2,525,605 times
If you truly think "Deliverance" was a documentary, that certainly lets us know how well-informed you are(n't)! The movie "Deliverance" was based on a best-selling novel of the same name, a work of fiction, and is hardly a documentary. True, it was filmed in the southern Appalachians, and the scenery is lovely to look upon. But a documentary?? For goodness' sake, educate yourself before you make such a silly claim!

For some reason, people always seem to want to have some place - or group of people - they don't know very well that can be viewed as "different", "scary", "dangerous" - and inferior. Terra incognita - "here be dragons". This goes way, way back - the dangerous unknown places with wild inhabitants used to be the Scottish highlands and the Irish and Welsh hinterlands. Oh, my, were the "civilized" English appalled by and scared of those wild Celts!

Then it became the American backwoods (especially the southern mountain backwoods, both Appalachian and Ozark) and/or ghettoes. Scary, scary - people LIKE to be scared, or rather, to show off how "brave" they can be when faced with such unknowns, it seems. Of course, a good dose of reality and increased familiarity with such places, their people, and their history would tell a very different story. But it's more fun to be scared by the stereotypes and add to them - if you're not from these places.

Believe me, it gets old when you do live in the mountains or nearby, or if that's your family heritage - and I expect "ghetto" dwellers could say the same.

So before making generalizations or repeating these tired old stereotypes, do some reading, if you can't visit in person, especially if you live far away from such places and have never done more than seen them on the screen or driven through without stopping.

You just reveal your own ignorance otherwise, as this thread has clearly shown.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,577,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
I rather live in the ghetto, actually I am from the ghetto in New York but now temporarily live in the dump state of GA--- very strange and scary place to live
I hear you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.