Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Not to nitpick.....ok yes to nitpick

Why are the hillbillies racist and not the ghetto rats?

Same scenerio...different setting.

I'm been there done that on both....I'll take the hillbillies.
I agree! People always assume that the white hillbillies are the scary racist ones. I do it too. We drove through this small town in TN this summer, i'm half Filipino and I look kinda Arabic, I was with a black friend. We stopped at a gas station and we were like "We might get killed here" But the hillbilly white people in the gas station were so nice. The cashier was talking about how it was such a nice town to raise a family and that we should move there one day. Nice people.

In the ghetto, I'm far more likely to get awkward stares, especially if i'm with white people. Far more likely to get yelled at, or comments about my race. I used to visit my cousins in Memphis and the kids there would always say racial slurs to my cousins. Not once have I experienced that in a small town. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but I personally have not experienced it.

I've been held up at gun point in Memphis, it happens so often to college students because the ghetto is so close to campus. So many of my friends have been robbed as well. Memphis has some of the most dangerous ghettos in the country. I'm not gonna be PC and try to say I'd rather be in the ghetto. I know the statistics. I'd much rather be in a small TN town than a Memphis ghetto. Even people in the ghetto would probably agree. The ones who can get out are moving to the suburbs and small towns.

Last edited by Smtchll; 08-25-2009 at 05:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Give me the hillbillies please!

Actually I think both groups are misunderstood. There are good people everywhere... be it the ghetto or the backwoods.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Give me the hillbillies please!

Actually I think both groups are misunderstood. There are good people everywhere... be it the ghetto or the backwoods.
Yes, this is true...but when they start threads like this, it's gives them a chance to pick on hillbillies.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:19 AM

886 posts, read 2,224,928 times
Ghetto. I've been there. They might be poor or down on their luck or just plain ghetto LOL... But most are used to seeing outsiders and if you don't act strange they don't either. Not so sure how a hillbilly middle of no where place would be but I doubt the people are gonna go all children of the corn on me

Old 08-25-2009, 06:20 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Yes, this is true...but when they start threads like this, it's gives them a chance to pick on hillbillies.
People fear what they don't understand I guess.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
There are Asian Ghetto's too! Have you ever been to Hong Kong or Singapore?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
hillbillies are nothing to be afraid of.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
If the choice is Indianapolis ghetto verse Indiana hillbillies, I will take the Indy ghetto, but Indy's ghettos are nothing compared to Memphis or STL ghettos.

Now, if the choice Memphis or STL ghetto of some small remote town in Mississippi; give me the small remote town. I actually enjoy going for walks without someone pulling a gun on me and demanding my wallet.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
I'm just wondering where you would feel more scared being in - a hillybilly area infested with rednecks and racists or a ghetto area infested with criminals, gangs, drugs, loud noise, etc. Most ghettos have very high African-American/Hispanic populations, so if a person is white, he or she would NOT want be there. Same thing with a black person, if he were to be in a hillybilly area like parts of PA or GA. But how about for others like Chinese, Indians, Jews, etc. I'm asian and I'd **** in my pants if I were in either one (Hillybilly or Ghetto) ...

Good. I like having that stereotype about 'hillbillies', otherwise somebody would probably come in, bulldoze the trees, and build some condos.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
hillbillies are nothing to be afraid of.
As long as you are white. If I was black, I would never venture out into the sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.