U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you offer rides to strangers?
Yes, all the time 2 4.44%
Sometimes. Depends on the situation 6 13.33%
Very rarely 9 20.00%
Never have and never will 28 62.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,469,838 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if this had been asked here before or if this is right forum for it, but general us does seem to have the most user traffic.

I'm just really interested in seeing how much the American population willingly picks up hitch-hikers or simply offers a lift to a pedestrian. Not trying to judge anyone or make any type of statement, because I've honestly been on both sides: the person walking miles in the hot sun or pouring rain with a load of stuff in tow AND the guy with plenty of room in my car but will only pick someone up if I'm in a very good mood.

So what about you? Under what circumstances are you willing to give a complete stranger a ride, if at all? And have you been on both sides? The "lifter" and the "liftee"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 PM

96 posts, read 212,141 times
I've been on both sides of the situation. One time I took my mom's truck to pick up a central a/c, it was way out in the sticks. I thought I had enough gas to get home so I refused to stop for gas, and lone behold there I was on the side of the road lol. A really nice guy and his wife stopped and took me to a gas station and even were kind enough to bring me back to my car, completely out of the way for them. Real good folks they were. On the same token, I really try to stop as much as I can to help people that are broken down, usually its to let them use my cell phone if needed, and to help change a flat tire, but very rarely it does happen that they really need a ride into town because they have no spare, or whatever it may be. I don't pick up hitchhikers though, too many horror stories and I don't want to put myself in a situation where I can say "Oh this seems like a scene from that movie........"

Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Odd, odd poll.

Being a harsh Ohioan (rare breed, huh?), I would honestly say (shouting out thewindow of my old-beater)

H*LL NO, SC*MBAG!!!! SCR*W YOU!!!!!!

(Actually, we do have people who randomly show up on freeway entrance ramps and other places that hold cardboard signs and act like they are homeless or poor, but are really employed by people who just leave them there for a couple hours and pick them up to see how much money they get. It's really sick, IMO)

Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Odd, odd poll.
Well what's so odd about it? I think it's a pretty interesting question.

Quote:
Being a harsh Ohioan (rare breed, huh?), I would honestly say (shouting out thewindow of my old-beater)

H*LL NO, SC*MBAG!!!! SCR*W YOU!!!!!!

(Actually, we do have people who randomly show up on freeway entrance ramps and other places that hold cardboard signs and act like they are homeless or poor, but are really employed by people who just leave them there for a couple hours and pick them up to see how much money they get. It's really sick, IMO)
I'll admit that I have given change to those folks on the side of the road, but do sometimes wonder how many of them are truly in need. Never saw that as a good enough reason not to be generous, though. So I just give them the benefit of the doubt, and if they are in fact faking, then they'll get theirs in the future.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Yeah right...NYers don't trust anyone, lol. We're friendly, but there are a lot of loonies out there and I wouldn't want to risk my life to do that.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,194,375 times
ya right never have never will

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,841,390 times
To me, this is just common sense. Certainly we all need to help others when we can, and I do when possible. However, why play the odds? There is always a slight risk when picking up a hitchhiker that bad will come from it. Again, why take that risk? May be cold, may be an unfortunate sign of the times, but survival is more critical. Many won't admit this, but I think most will agree with it.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 PM

767 posts, read 1,150,020 times
I do quite alot

You know what they say, do something nice for someone else and it will come back on you in a good way

Of course I am 6 foot 1 and 205 so I am not worried about possibly having trouble

Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah right...NYers don't trust anyone, lol. We're friendly, but there are a lot of loonies out there and I wouldn't want to risk my life to do that.
Well where in NY would someone need a ride that they couldn't just walk to or take the subway? Lol. I don't suppose you live in Staten?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
To me, this is just common sense. Certainly we all need to help others when we can, and I do when possible. However, why play the odds? There is always a slight risk when picking up a hitchhiker that bad will come from it. Again, why take that risk? May be cold, may be an unfortunate sign of the times, but survival is more critical. Many won't admit this, but I think most will agree with it.
And I think that as adults, we're all smart enough to know when a dangerous situation could present itself.

If you're traveling alone, at night, thru the backwoods, with no one around, your instincts should tell you not to pick up a stranger and just pray that their situation works itself out. No doubt they'd understand why no one will stop for them...But if it's the middle of the day, with crowded streets, plenty of traffic, and they're carrying a lot of stuff obviously trying to get somewhere, it's not really likely that situation could turn bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or