U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,183,636 times
It's mostly a cultural thing. People from the north, including areas that are not heavily urbanized, simply move in a culture of "gogogo!"
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 AM

4,584 posts, read 9,082,515 times
I dont think its just the South that is slow paced, all of NM is slow paced too, even Albuquerque, its like a small town in a mid sized city, I've never been north of Denver but I imagine MT,WY,ID and so many others are slow paced also., right?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:00 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,396,266 times
The crowding could have some effect on it also.

When I lived in The Bronx and went to get my license it took me near all day, post office always seemed to have long lines, stores had longer lines.

Where I am now I am almost in and out with everything.

If you are waiting longer times you will obviously have to rush if you have another appointment to get to and then you add in traffic. I know there are some areas with traffic in the south but not near the traffic you get up north. Atlanta may be the exception that gets traffic close to what I experienced in NY, not the same but close.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 AM

21,536 posts, read 16,176,704 times
The south moves slow because of heat and humidity. Since I moved here I move slower because of heat and humidity. It's an energy zapper. Because summer seasons are longer here, people are zapped longer than in states with a shorter summer season. Also, I would be very interested in knowing if coffee and other caffine drinks that make you more peppy (but also make you sweat) are less popular in the South...but I don't want a bazillion dollar taxpayer grant to fund a study to find out.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 PM

113 posts, read 228,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I dont think its just the South that is slow paced, all of NM is slow paced too, even Albuquerque, its like a small town in a mid sized city, I've never been north of Denver but I imagine MT,WY,ID and so many others are slow paced also., right?
I think when people say "the north" they generally tend to think Chicago-New England...not Montana although it is north

Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,446,619 times
I think it is for a variety of reasons.
* The weather/climate is certainly a factor. Although Canada generally seems to be slower than the northern U.S.
* Worldwide and historically coastal areas and those closer to waterways are more exposed to new products,ideas and customs because of trade, war and interaction with other cultures. Those that are inland, especially mountainous, are generally less exposed to the new and are more cautious towards anything/anybody from the outside. This is why Europe (particularly western) advanced at a faster rate than the inland areas of Eurasia. The Northeastern and Great Lakes regions of the U.S. have greater waterway access/proximaty to a coast. Much of the South is inland and far from the coast or major river.
* Related to the above point; The values of each may play a part. The North values the new, the different, the exciting, is more open to change and perhaps is always hurrying for that something new/different. The South values tradition, status quo, is hesitant to change and cautious of the different.
* Urban areas are almost always faster-paced than rural areas and the North is, and has been, more urban than the South.
* The South is still too busy licking its wounds from "The War"! LOL! Just kidding, my Southern friends. Couldn't resist getting that in there!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM

4,376 posts, read 5,215,172 times
It is because the North is more industrialized than in the South.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 PM

694 posts, read 1,442,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
I do not think it's cause of the weather cause I went to central america and the people are not slow there, and do not live a slow life or talk slow
The people may not be slow there during the morning times or at night, but many of them take siestas/sleep in the mid-afternoon time because of the unbearable heat. That's why you see many shops closed during the midday hours.

It gets so hot when the sun is at it's peak, that it's almost impossible to work during those times on a continuous basis.

Air-conditioning makes it much easier to work in the heat and humidity. But historically that was never the case. Imagine if you worked in mid-summer and there was no such thing as air-conditioning. You'll probably find it quite distracting as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:14 PM

160 posts, read 417,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
I think when people say "the north" they generally tend to think Chicago-New England...not Montana although it is north
Absolutely. Most people think of the Mid-Atlantic states and New England states, and certainly not anywhere west of Chicago.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM

16,623 posts, read 12,930,418 times
Protestantism + heat + humidity + agrarian life = slow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.