Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 AM

88 posts, read 128,678 times

Advertisements

It's a different culture, way of life. The pace is just slower, because their major professions/jobs require more patience, waiting and taking time to get jobs done, rather than faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
having traveled in the south extensively, I noticed that much of it is orientated uphill, that would account in large part to the speed of things down there as well.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 6,684 times
I think it's the weather.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
It's a different culture, way of life. The pace is just slower, because their major professions/jobs require more patience, waiting and taking time to get jobs done, rather than faster.
Agreed.

It's just a completely different culture. People in the south typically aren't rushing to get to where they need to go whereas up north you're constantly rushing to get on the highway to beat traffic, to get to the gym, to get to work, etc. Sometimes it's nice seeing my family in southern VA, it's a chance to get away from the constant urban sprawl, congestion, fast-paced etc. The suburbs down there are more slower paced, I could never live there but it's a nice getaway sometimes.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:31 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Agreed.

It's just a completely different culture. People in the south typically aren't rushing to get to where they need to go whereas up north you're constantly rushing to get on the highway to beat traffic, to get to the gym, to get to work, etc. Sometimes it's nice seeing my family in southern VA, it's a chance to get away from the constant urban sprawl, congestion, fast-paced etc. The suburbs down there are more slower paced, I could never live there but it's a nice getaway sometimes.
I think it has to do with the historical urban vs. rural...but that isn't really so true anymore. Urban areas of the South are not exactly slow, while rural areas of the North are slow. It totally depends on the environment, no matter which region.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I think it has to do with the historical urban vs. rural...but that isn't really so true anymore. Urban areas of the South are not exactly slow, while rural areas of the North are slow. It totally depends on the environment, no matter which region.
Well it's subjective. The places I've been in NC, SC, southern VA, GA... I'd consider them to be slow but again, that's subjective because I'm comparing it to what I'm used to.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Well it's subjective. The places I've been in NC, SC, southern VA, GA... I'd consider them to be slow but again, that's subjective because I'm comparing it to what I'm used to.
But realistically urban should be compared to urban of similar size, and rural to rural. If this is done properly then there isn't a lot of difference.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
But realistically urban should be compared to urban of similar size, and rural to rural. If this is done properly then there isn't a lot of difference.
I am comparing urban areas... obviously no one is going to compare a rural area to an urban area, that doesn't make sense and IN MY OPINION the places I've visited there is a huge difference.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I am comparing urban areas... obviously no one is going to compare a rural area to an urban area, that doesn't make sense and IN MY OPINION the places I've visited there is a huge difference.
Urban areas "of similar size" is the important point. And you may not compare urban to rural, but I would bet that many people who say the South is slow are doing just that - comparing Manhattan to rural Mississippi. I wasn't talking about you personally, but people in general. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 02-09-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Urban areas "of similar size" is the important point. And you may not compare urban to rural, but I would bet that many people who say the South is slow are doing just that. I wasn't talking about you personally, but people in general. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Oh ok, gotcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.