Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STauil01 View Post
I am a US National born in American Samoa. I recently applied for a job and one of the questions listed on the application is, Are you a US Citizen? Yes or No. What do i put down.
"yes"

U.S. passports usually make no distinction between the two, giving only the nationality of the bearer, not his / her citizenship.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,598,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmevellyn View Post
Puerto Rico is a free association of the Commonwealth of the United States. In other words, although they are citizens, they cannot vote in presidential elections or any federal elections for that matter.
You mean a person born in Puerto Rico can NEVER vote in a federal election, no matter where they live? And a person born in a state cannot vote in a federal election if he is living in Puerto Rico?

Is there any procedure by which a person born in Puerto Rico can ever become a voting "citizen" of any state, just as a person born anywhere else in the world can? What is that procedure? Or are people born in Puerto Rico the only people in the world who are, as a consequence of their birth, excluded for life from ever obtaining the right to vote in a US federal election?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM

5,508 posts, read 8,695,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean a person born in Puerto Rico can NEVER vote in a federal election, no matter where they live? And a person born in a state cannot vote in a federal election if he is living in Puerto Rico?

Is there any procedure by which a person born in Puerto Rico can ever become a voting "citizen" of any state, just as a person born anywhere else in the world can? What is that procedure? Or are people born in Puerto Rico the only people in the world who are, as a consequence of their birth, excluded for life from ever obtaining the right to vote in a US federal election?

I assume that if someone from Puerto Rico moves to the mainland and establishes full-time residence there, paying local property taxes, getting a drivers icense there, sending thier kids to school there, then as US citizens they'e eligible to vote there in all federal, state, and local elections. But maybe someone else here knows better than me.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I assume that if someone from Puerto Rico moves to the mainland and establishes full-time residence there, paying local property taxes, getting a drivers icense there, sending thier kids to school there, then as US citizens they'e eligible to vote there in all federal, state, and local elections. But maybe someone else here knows better than me.
I'm assuming that, since there is no such thing as a "federal election" in the USA, that a person of Puerto Rican birth is the same as a person of Nebraska birth, with respect to voting in Arizona for presidential electors and congressmen. All that need be done is to establish bona fide residence in the state and congressional district to satisfy the voters' registration criteria. I'm also assuming that a significant number of Puerto Ricans have discovered a way to register to vote in one state or another, and can continue to vote by absentee ballot in that state.

If I were to move to Puerto Rico, and retire there, I would have a hard time finding a way to justify my being disenfranchised in the American electoral process by that fact alone. If I moved to Canada or Russia, and retained US citizenship, I would keep my US absentee ballot rights for the rest of my life.

Getting a voters registration in the US is very slack. GWBush was elected by hundreds, maybe thousands of people who live in Alabama, and work in Pensacola, Florida, and voted in both states.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,859,171 times
United States citizens, whether they are born in Puerto Rico or Nebraska, cannot vote in federal elections while they are residents of Puerto Rico. All U.S. citizens, Puerto Rican or otherwise, can vote if they currently live in a state.

Federal voting rights in Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM

This article is the one that addresses the concern that I voiced. An American citizen retains his voting rights if he resettles in any country in the world, but not if he resettles in Puerto Rico, in which case he is effectively disenfranchised.

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 AM

20 posts, read 89,229 times
According to this site, there is a difference between a U.S. Citizen and an American Citizen. The former was brought in under the 14th Amendment, and gives you corporate-granted priviledges which can be removed at any time; the latter gives you Constitutional rights from our Founding Fathers, which are inalienable.
American Citizen, or U.S. citizen?

There are MANY more articles at the homepage:
USA The Republic - Main Menu

According to this site - and many videos on youtube - saying you're a U.S. Citizen is voluntary slavery.
FROM SOVEREIGN TO SERF

The De Jure government of these united States of America, which resided in Philadelphia (on American soil), is not the same as the current De Facto government of the United States, Inc., which resides in D.C. (not on American soil).
Republic for the united States of America | Freedom is our right

Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM

32,493 posts, read 47,458,225 times
Nationals are born in a territory of the USA. They have full constitutional rights, with the exception of some immigration laws that govern how citizenship in the USA is inherited. A child born to USA citizen parents born in any country is still a USA citizen. A child born to a national, outside the USA or territories, might possibly not be a national. Maybe yes, maybe no. Lots of fine points to the law.

Citizens are persons born inside the boundaries of the USA, persons who have been naturalized, or persons born with USA citizen parents, no matter where born (with some complicated inheritance laws if parents are unmarried and one is not a USA citizen.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.