Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times

Advertisements

Delaware? I just don't see that. South Jersey shares a lot with Philadelphia and North Jersey shares a lot with New York. Delaware is a lot more rural than New Jersey, Maryland is a significantly larger state yet has a much higher population density than DE.

Of course there's only one New Jersey, and every state is unique. However the states closest to New Jersey in terms of culture, density, size, politics, economy, education, and wealth would be Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland. Here's where these 4 states show up in the rankings of the 50 states and the District (ACS Ranking Tables - American FactFinder):

Population Density:
1. New Jersey
3. Massachusetts
4. Connecticut
5. Maryland

Wealth-Median Household Income:
1. Maryland
2. New Jersey
3. Connecticut
6. Massachusetts

Economy:
(Kauffman Institute New Economy Rankings)
1. Massachusetts
3. Maryland
5. New Jersey
6. Connecticut

Education:
(Percent of people with Bachelor's Degree)
2. Massachusetts
3. Maryland
5. Connecticut
6. New Jersey

Politics:
(regulatory policy ranked by the Mercatus Institute a conservative think tank in Virginia)
42. Connecticut
43. Massachusetts
47. Maryland
49. New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Delaware? I just don't see that. South Jersey shares a lot with Philadelphia and North Jersey shares a lot with New York. Delaware is a lot more rural than New Jersey, Maryland is a significantly larger state yet has a much higher population density than DE.
Sure, Jersey has a lot in common with Philadelphia and New York City, but both NYC and Philly have nothing much in common with their home states. Philly is demographically more like NJ than it is PA, and the same goes for NYC with NY state. As a Pennsylvanian who is tired of my tax dollars being dumped into Philadelphia, I would be happy to give Philly to NJ. The rest of PA outside of Philly has more demographically in common with upstate NY than it does Philly.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Sure, Jersey has a lot in common with Philadelphia and New York City, but both NYC and Philly have nothing much in common with their home states. Philly is demographically more like NJ than it is PA, and the same goes for NYC with NY state. As a Pennsylvanian who is tired of my tax dollars being dumped into Philadelphia, I would be happy to give Philly to NJ. The rest of PA outside of Philly has more demographically in common with upstate NY than it does Philly.
let's make this happen!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most of us don't want cities. You don't go to VT for a big city lifestyle. Most real VT'ers (who can trace their family back several generations in VT, in my case, to the earliest White settlers) don't even consider Burlington part of Vermont.

I've been to the Pine Barrens. They're interesting but I like Northern VT or Northern Maine better. The Pine Barrens are like an island in some ways.
I think you missed my point. My point is that, Burlington is a CITY to you guys. To us people in NJ/NY, it's more of a town. Just like to us NJ people, our rural areas are really rural, but to Vermont people, it may seem less so. It's relative. But in reality, Burlington is a city, by definition, just like the rural parts of NJ are rural, by definition.

One's perception is skewed by their experiences.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The least crowded parts of NJ are still more crowded than Northern New England or states like Alaska. I've seen what passes for "rural" in NJ and it simply isn't close to rural to someone from VT who's also spent time in Northern Maine. It's simply light suburban. There isn't a lot of private property within the protected portion of the Pine Barrens to live on. The others parts are facing development and sprawl. Come up to NNE for real rural, and Northern Maine for some true wilderness.
No, there is nothing here like Alaska or northern New England. I have not been to either, but have family and friends who have visited, stayed for a while. Still, in this small, densely populated state I can drive about 20 minutes from my suburban home (in a housing development) and walk around around in the woods all day and not run into another person.

You've seen what passes for rural in NJ; I don't know what you've seen. As far as I'm concerned, there are too many houses and too much private land in the Pine Barrens. I don't have to go NNE to find the wilderness. I have seen it in PA, where I was born, as well as NY, CA and AZ.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Well yeah, that's true. The only states NY and PA are similar to are each other. That's why I said CT, MA, and MD. About the taxes, the people in "real Virginia" say the same thing about densley populated Northern Virginia in the DC Area . At one point (before Independence) Philadelphia (as well all land South and West of it) was claimed by Maryland and a small war was fought between the two colonies, the end result being the M-D line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You've seen what passes for rural in NJ; I don't know what you've seen. As far as I'm concerned, there are too many houses and too much private land in the Pine Barrens.
One winter Christopher and Paulie got lost in the Pine Barrens and almost died there .

Old 09-19-2009, 07:08 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
I never answered the question. If I had to pick just one state, I'd say Maryland. It's got some elevation in the west, a busy, densely populated area, ocean beaches and the bay. Otherwise, I'd Frankenstein together parts of four or five surrounding states.

"...Christopher and Paulie got lost in the Pine Barrens..."

It happens with surprising regularity. Maybe people think that because it's a small state that they can't get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Well yeah, that's true. The only states NY and PA are similar to are each other. That's why I said CT, MA, and MD. About the taxes, the people in "real Virginia" say the same thing about densley populated Northern Virginia in the DC Area . At one point (before Independence) Philadelphia (as well all land South and West of it) was claimed by Maryland and a small war was fought between the two colonies, the end result being the M-D line.

One winter Christopher and Paulie got lost in the Pine Barrens and almost died there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.