Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is D.C. northeast?
No, it borders Virginia which is most def. the South! It doesn't have the traditional Northeastern climate or culture either. 32 35.56%
Yes, it is too far north to be considered a southern state. 58 64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 26,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well somebody explain to me why when I hear people from Virginia talk, they don't sound southern? Michael Vick doesn't sound southern, but he doesn't northern either. He has an accent I'm sure many in the Mid-Atlantic do.

Looks...As beautiful as Richmond's CBD is, it doesn't really look like a southern downtown. In fact, it reminds me of DC. And the architecture around the city reminds me of Baltimore.

Besides all of this, many Virginians do not consider themselves southern. Pine trees and sweet tea don't equal the south.

It depends where you at man. Go to Danville or Abington and try to tell me you don’t feel like you’re in the south. I am a Virginian and I have doubts about a bunch of areas in VA that I myself do not consider southern. I have never heard a Northern Virginian refer themselves as a southerner unless they were from elsewhere in the south. But then again people from all over the world live there, the culture is almost if not already DEAD!

But still it’s there, just not in the whole eastern part of the state really...I mean Richmond is southern, but it’s no Columbia, SC where they sell goober peas on every damn street.

Anyhow.........see Virgil Goode for a genuine Virginia accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityHillbilly View Post
It depends where you at man. Go to Danville or Abington and try to tell me you don?t feel like you?re in the south. I am a Virginian and I have doubts about a bunch of areas in VA that I myself do not consider southern. I have never heard a Northern Virginian refer themselves as a southerner unless they were from elsewhere in the south. But then again people from all over the world live there, the culture is almost if not already DEAD!

But still it?s there, just not in the whole eastern part of the state really...I mean Richmond is southern, but it?s no Columbia, SC where they sell goober peas on every damn street.

Anyhow.........see Virgil Goode for a genuine Virginia accent.
I'm sorry but it just doesn't cut it for me.

I can go to southern Illinois and "feel" like I'm in the south. That doesn't mean I am.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Some people in VA don't sound southern..but there are still many who do especially outside of Tidewater (Michael Vick, Iverson, Alonzo Morning, etc.) and Northern VA. Check out the video clips to hear some examples!

The first three are some AA Richmond VA examples

YouTube - CUZEN PETE SPITS FLAME @ WOODROW BLOCK PARTY (Fast forward to 55 seconds if you want to skip the rapping intro to hear a typical richmond va accent. lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFg-c_Dg0A&feature=related

YouTube - Where Da Twerkas At Got played in Los Vegaz last Night!!!!!!!!

Percy Harvin NFL for the Vikings from Virginia Beach (Tidewater)

YouTube - Upper Deck Interviews Percy Harvin, NFL No. 22 Draft Pick

Southwest VA Southern accent (Big Stone Gap VA)

YouTube - Big Stone Gap

Elliot Sadler Southside VA accent (race car driver from emporia va)

YouTube - NASCAR driver Elliott Sadler's interview with Allstate®

Elliot Sadler with his family. Typical southside VA accents

YouTube - Hermie, Elliott and Bell Sadler

This video features one guy from Lexington KY speaking, and then the rest are from Lynchburg VA, and parts of southside (south central) VA...notice the accents.

YouTube - IMPACT 2006 Interviews

Also there are still many Virginians who consider themselves southern. Most would outside of Northern VA, and Tidewater (military area), and Im guessing there still are a large portion who still would in Tidewater.
Half of those people sound like they could be from West Virginia or Kentucky. But I still wouldn't compare them to Georgia, Mississippi, or Texas.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:21 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
Half of those people sound like they could be from West Virginia or Kentucky. But I still wouldn't compare them to Georgia, Mississippi, or Texas.
Yea I see how you could think/hear that. Most people have the upper south accents (tidewater, piedmont, mountain) instead of the deep south accents. Out of curiousity would you consider Kentucky a southern state, or parts of West Virginia?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:33 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:

I can go to southern Illinois and "feel" like I'm in the south. That doesn't mean I am.
Well what is Southern to you?

Because difference between those states is that not one part of Illinois was ever considered the South whereas Virginia has always been a Southern state. Many in VA liken DC and NOVA to Philly, New York, and Boston. Just curious, what parts of Virginia outside of NOVA have you been too?

Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Yea I see how you could think/hear that. Most people have the upper south accents (tidewater, piedmont, mountain) instead of the deep south accents. Out of curiousity would you consider Kentucky a southern state, or parts of West Virginia?
I honestly see West VA and Kentucky the same way as Ohio: somewhat in the crosspaths of the Midwest, Northeast, and the "upper south", but I've never viewed either of them as southern. Just very Appalachian.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well what is Southern to you?

Because difference between those states is that not one part of Illinois was ever considered the South whereas Virginia has always been a Southern state.
So? Just because VA was technically a part of the Confederacy makes it more southern than south Illinois? Little Egypt is closer to Miss., Louisiana, and Texas than VA is.

And wasn't Maryland part of the Old South too?

Old 09-05-2009, 03:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default That sneaky Yankee rascal Robert E. Lee!

Quote:
So? Just because VA was technically a part of the Confederacy makes it more southern than south Illinois? Little Egypt is closer to Miss., Louisiana, and Texas than VA is.

Lol, MrMcCoy, Virginia was TECHNICALLY a part of the Confederacy?

So your saying the home state of Robert E Lee, Jeb Stuart, Old Joe Johnston, AP Hill, George Pickett, Jubal Early and Stonewall Jackson was only "technically part of the South"!

Maybe someone should have told ROBERT E LEE and STONEWALL JACKSON that as Virginians they are really Northeners. Maybe someone should have told the Confederate government not to move the Capitol to Richmond because it is a "Northern City"!

Sorry, I do not mean to sound nasty or anything. I just don't get why the state that actually started and defined the South is all of a sudden not good enough anymore.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:54 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:

Good basis for your argument but at the same time VA is closer to Carolina, Georgia than south Illionis because they are southern states on the eastcoast also. Also VA is surrounded by NC, WV, MD, KY, and TN. Southern Illinois is surrounded by KY, MO, and Indiana so there is definently less of a southern influence than Virginia. The only one of those states that could be considered southern that surrounds Illinois is Kentucky.
Back to the original argument: I personally always condsidered DC the beginning of the North personally and Richmond down as the beginning of the south.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 26,317 times
Quote:

Right..........but Illinois didnt fight for the south, let alone have two of its capitals for the confederate army like Virginia. Look man this has been a long debate for quite some time and it really doesnt matter. Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky are all in weird spots in the US and can be classified into a few catagories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.