Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 AM

37,743 posts, read 40,800,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I remember growing up in my neighborhood and a bunch of kids would play wiffle ball or baseball games with a tennis ball at my house, because the yard was so big to us at the time.

Where I live now, you do see kids playing in the neighborhood and it's pretty cool to see in the era of video games and the internet. There are still plenty of neighborhoods like that in my area.
But I bet they all wear helmets and knee pads. I posted this in another forum about a month or two ago. I saw a kid on a little tricycle (in a park) wearing a helmet. She was with her mother. She would have been farther away from the ground if she was just standing up on the ground - that's how far a fall would have been. I thought it was so over the top ridiculous, I took a photo of them. What's next - a helmet and knee pads for crawling babies? Play dates for overprotected wusses is not a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,681,613 times
well, at least when I have children, they will get ahead of others in the real world since I won't be pampering them to be spineless cowards like many of these helicopter parents.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,007,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But I bet they all wear helmets and knee pads. I posted this in another forum about a month or two ago. I saw a kid on a little tricycle (in a park) wearing a helmet. She was with her mother. She would have been farther away from the ground if she was just standing up on the ground - that's how far a fall would have been. I thought it was so over the top ridiculous, I took a photo of them. What's next - a helmet and knee pads for crawling babies? Play dates for overprotected wusses is not a stretch.
I honestly think we are raising a generation of wimps, especially our boys, when they are overprotected like that. My daughter told me once about a boy who was beating up a girl in her lunchroom at school (this was high school) and said that everybody was so stunned that no one did a thing. I was fuming! When I was her age had a boy so much a laid a hand on a girl every guy in the room would have beaten the boy senseless. What the heck has happened? My mom, who works for the federal government, said that she went to a training class where the management was complaining that they have a hard time hiring because so many of them applicants bring their MOTHERS with them that it is ridiculous. They have to have their hands held because they can't do anything on their own to save their lives. Not only that, but there have been bosses called by moms when their employees have been reprimanded. What the heck?
I think we should let kids get bumps and bruises, have disappointments and sadness, and learn to be brave when necessary. They should learn to think on their own, how to make good decisions on their own, and learn to be considerate (I make my 15 year old call in if she can't make it to volunteer) We are not doing our kids a favor doing any and everything for them.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM

613 posts, read 2,299,477 times
I read an article today that reminded me of this thread

Overbooked kids? Nah, it's parents who stress - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

It's basically about how kids actually do well with lots of activities and it's the parents who feel stressed and overextended because of the scheduling.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 AM

113 posts, read 86,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
not a chance, we are in a subdivision and I've kept us on renting level rather than buying mostly because of this. 3 different locations in this subdivision that has over 800 kids.... not a one.

Most of the issues stem from the parents themselves being overly involved in everything as well as their kids doing karate, dance, scouts, music lessons, etc. These parents fill the kids spare time with so much crap it's rediculous. So in order to play with the kid you have to know their schedule, etc.

One friend of our son had a schedule that was so bad he only had 3:30 - 4:30pm on Wednesday and Saturday morning 9-11am available to play. Totally sick!

I agree. It is sick. Parents these days have their noses so far up their kids asses it is embarrassing. And just think, these kids that have had all the obstacles removed from their lives are going to be running things before too long.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,774,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Greg
I do get touchy when it comes to this subject because the general public is dismissive when it comes to kids with life threatening allergies.
Look, I have no idea what causes the allergies, but I do know that they are real and frightening.
I am sure your friend is a fine doctor, no need to give me his qualifications. On the other hand, I have encountered many who I would not trust with the care of a hamster.

With regard to the doctors who theorize that parents oversterilize their kids, have they done any studies? Can they point to any published studies that corroborate their theory? Or, because they muddled through medical school, feel they are qualified to give their unsubstantiated opinion.

Anyway, I did not want to take a personal shot at you or your friend. But, this is a personal subject for me and my family.
Actually, I have seen some blurbs about it on the web and yes, there have been studies on it. There was even something about it once on one of the nightly news shows on ABC like Nightline or similar - to be honest, I never saved the links or recorded the shows because I don't have to deal with it, so it was interesting to watch, but passed my mind afterward. The doctor friend indicated all the theories were being studied - that's all I know because he gets into medical geek speak if I ask for details and I fall asleep. I'm sure though you can Google it and dig up with some time, the articles about POSSIBLE links to kids immune problems and other things (chemicals, over sanitizing, etc).

Old 09-02-2009, 02:16 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,875,283 times
Everywhere has playdates...it's just lame people actually calling it "playdates".

Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM

316 posts, read 1,033,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
Everywhere has playdates...it's just lame people actually calling it "playdates".
I can't believe everywhere... to be certain -

Playdate - a meeting time (play time) for children scheduled days to weeks in advance by the children's parents during an appropriate and mutual open slot in each children AND parents schedule.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,848,166 times
They don't have play dates anywhere on LI and NYC, out of the neighborhoods I've lived in.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,875,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
They don't have play dates anywhere on LI and NYC, out of the neighborhoods I've lived in.
So is it anywhere on LI and NYC, or places you've lived? Might want to clairify that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.