Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you travel every day?
Bus 12 37.50%
Train 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,013,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Maybe the circling the parking lot is a southern trait, because I see it here all the time. I actually saw someone last weekend sit and wait for someone to load their groceries from their cart to their car just to get their parking spot... and there was an open parking spot a mere 30 feet away on the next aisle!

It certainly explains the high obesity rate we have here in Mississippi... that combined with the amazing fried food we have here.
Nope - its not a southern trait, as I've seen the same idiotic foolish lazy people do such in CA, IN, OH, PA, MA, CO, etc. Only disclaimer is that maybe MAYBE they have some physical handicap [but no 'official' handicap to have the tag/sticker/whatever] that that 30 or so extra feet in the parking lot makes a difference?

Back on topic - car, as there is no bus or train service for my route [~35 mile commute].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,326,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Car. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Done the train and bus thing before. In the rain. In the snow. On a hot and humid summer day.

No thanks.
That is a good point. Waiting for a train or bus in the heat is awful.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,377,694 times
Train and alot of walking.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM

4,336 posts, read 3,538,089 times
By car and by the occasional airplane.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
That is a good point. Waiting for a train or bus in the heat is awful.
Was without a car for two months last winter. Worst experience of my life. Waiting for the bus in 20 degree weather is the worst. I remember New Years Eve there was this big wind advisory. 30 mph winds and 20 something degrees felt like I was being sliced right open. Was so jealous of every car driver in the world that day.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:06 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's because they're idiots, nobody is forcing them to do that. Those particular people get on my nerves because they block the way for everyone else trying to get through. I'm not too lazy to walk 30ft, so I get the first spot I see, even if it is farther out.
Oh they're not idiots. I'm the same way thank you very much. There's just something about getting a good parking spot that feels good. I don't look at it as being lazy. Usually I do this when the parking lot is full like at Wal-mart or a busy mall. Now if I"m in DC trying to parallel park on a Friday night I will definitely stalk and wait for someone that I see going to their car. Parking in DC is so frustrating.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:26 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Was without a car for two months last winter. Worst experience of my life. Waiting for the bus in 20 degree weather is the worst. I remember New Years Eve there was this big wind advisory. 30 mph winds and 20 something degrees felt like I was being sliced right open. Was so jealous of every car driver in the world that day.
That's an interesting perspective and made me think for a second. Since I was 18, I always had a car and never had to ride bus. I guess I always took the convenience of a car as a given in life. The idea of going anywhere without a car is such a foreign concept to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.