U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,187 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this question is better suited for the General U.S. message board. If so I'll move it.

Does such a place exist outside of California (because I need a plan B, and not NYC), that is...

socially liberal and progressive, as in accepting of gay people, abortion, atheists, hippie/bohemian lifestyles, immigrants, or anything that is different...
"live and let live", I can dress how I want and be who I want without feeling judged.
has a young and vibrant, also diverse population
is culturally diverse
has a live music scene
is artsy
has good night life, and also outdoor activities
is not grey or rainy all year round (or most of it)
is not humid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,452,502 times
Are you okay with snow?

This description fits a lot of college towns, along with a great number of places I can think of in places where it's sunny much of the year, but also have cold and snow.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 08-30-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 02:26 PM

56,899 posts, read 81,238,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Are you okay with snow?

This description fits a lot of college towns, along with a great number of places I can think of in places where it's sunny much of the year, but also has cold and snow.
I was thinking the same thing. One place like that close to me is Ithaca, NY. I think the only things that might hurt that city's chances in terms of the criteria is that it can get pretty humid and it can snow quite a bit during the winter. Besides those things, it definitely fits the rest of the criteria. Ann Arbor, MI would definitely fit. So would Iowa City IA, Portland OR, Seattle, Boulder CO, Minneapolis and Madison WI, among others.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:20 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,054,760 times
Key West, Cape Cod.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:11 PM

22 posts, read 87,730 times
How about Austin, TX? IDK about the music scene, but it seems like it would fit your other criteria.

As far as Cape Cod is concerned, I'd have to second that if you were referring to Provincetown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.