Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times

Advertisements

Athens, Georgia
Savannah, Georgia
Asheville, North Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
Chattanooga, Tennessee

If you raised your housing budget.....

Atlanta, Georgia
Madison, Wisconsin
Orlando, Florida
Austin, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
If you multiply your house budget by about 10, you could probably get a nice little place in the Boston area...

Best of luck finding a home within your budget.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Moderator cut: see comment many Okies do not vote for Dems (at least on a national level) because we have yet to have a candidate who is very socially conservative (against abortion, etc.) as well as more moderate-liberal on issues regarding the economy.

That's all I basically said.

Last edited by Bo; 09-24-2009 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, don't discuss moderator action in forum posts.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
I concur with the general feeling of the thread. There's no such a thing as red states and blue states.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:48 PM

144 posts, read 463,960 times
based on your criteria might be happy in a semi inner city area or an ethnic neighborhoods (ie areas some people mistakenly fear of but are fine) thats where you can find extremely cheap housing and those kinds of areas the majority of people are actually quite friendly. if i am not there are many areas that fit this criteria. crime is overrated because most areas in the united states crime does not happen on a everyday basis and entirely affects the whole area so those areas are never warzones

Last edited by nyc227; 09-12-2009 at 07:56 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I feel your pain. When you find that place, please let me know!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsgates View Post
The more I look, the more frustrated I get. At this point, I have all but given up. I think what we want is impossible. California's out, too expensive. NYC's out, too expensive and too dangerous. I was looking at Baltimore, but it seemed to be expensive too. We were also looking at Las Vegas. That's where my fiance wants to move...but it seems both expensive AND dangerous.

Does anyone have any advice for me? (Besides, "Give up!") Thank you ahead of time.
Las Vegas isn't expensive at all. I have a strong BLUE preference, and that is one of my top choices - I'm also looking for inexpensive.

Southern Florida is another area you might want to consider - Broward County, etc. That is the county that Fort Lauderdale is in, and the county above Miami's Dade County. It's the blue-est in Florida, and not skyrocket high prices like NYC/CA/WA, etc.

You might also want to look into Minnesota/Iowa...very liberal states, and low cost of living as well. Minneapolis is the perfect combination of low priced and blue. Plus it is a great city. Portland Oregon is another one, cost of living is higher though, but not as bad as Seattle, NY, etc.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
You need to focus on blue AREAS, and not blue states.

Most states are a complete mix of blue and red - but the state is either BLUE or RED depending on who wins in sheer numbers. You can have a huge blue city like Chicago, but then the rest of the state down south is quite red.

So yes, southern Illinois is cheap, warmer and in a blue state.....but the entire area is mostly red.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Other considerations: Austin, Texas (more funky and not as conservative as other parts of Texas). Boise, Idaho (yes, Boise - not huge, but lots of Californians and west coasters have relocated there, so it's not a super conservative town, yet has low crime).
Second (3rd, 4th?) Austin, Texas. One of my favorite cities in this country. It is a blue city in a red state. Very forward thinking. Little to no racisim. Austin is nothing like Dallas, Houston. It really does not belong in Texas.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You might also want to look into Minnesota/Iowa...very liberal states, and low cost of living as well. Minneapolis is the perfect combination of low priced and blue. Plus it is a great city. Portland Oregon is another one, cost of living is higher though, but not as bad as Seattle, NY, etc.
When we bought our house here in Minneapolis 3 years ago we were lucky to find one in ok condition in a decent neighborhood for around $200,000. Although I'm sure that home prices have dipped since then, you will not be able to find a house for $50,000 unless you moved to a small town or way out in the outer ring suburbs, at least an hour outside of the city. As far as climate, last winter we had 2 full weeks where the temperature never made it above 0 degrees, so, far from mild. Minneapolis is a great city to live in though, it just won't meet the requirements stated.
Portland, OR (we were researching living there) has a cost of living that is almost identical to Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.