U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,024,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Well I personally believe that Latin American deserve their own race.
They are categorized as "white" by the US census bureau.
They are obviously (many of them, I know many of them ARE) white.
I am Latino or half anyways, and I don't believe that we should be categorized as "white"

Bolivans... NOT white, if anything they look closer to Southeastern Asian people.
One of these pictures is a pic of Peruvians Children one of Filipino Children, Which one is which?:

Now granted, I've been to Mexico.
I KNOW there are people who might've been as well been born in Sweden.
But Culturally and for the most part ethnically.
They're not white.
so while they're not officially a "race", most people regard them as such.
When you say "white", you think of someone from Germany.
Not Mexico.

Now i can see WHY they would sub categorize them as white.
But the people of Peru vs the people of Argentina are world apart.
Peru consists mainly of Indigenous people (who supposedly came from Asia), while many Argentinians killed the natives are are mostly of Spanish, German, and Italian decent. Brazil, on the other hand has a significant population of African Americans.
So I really think they SHOULD create a "Hispanic Race", because at the rate we're going we'll sub catagorize the blackest black man on the planet as "white" because he's from Brazil.
But...to each his own.
I think you are confusing race with ethnicity or culture. Race primarily has to do with skin color and identifiable physical characteristics. Which is why race is a fairly simplistic way of categorizing anyone. At the basic level of racial classifications, native Americans in Hispanic countries would be considered a different race than those of European or African descent. The reality though is that the ethinicities have mixed to such a degree in most Latin countries that racial classifications don't encompass the cultural diversity.

Hispanic just refers to anyone speaking Spanish and residing in the former colonies of Spain; Latin American would just include Brazillians as well. That doesn't constitute a race, however. It's not even really an ethnicity or culture..although there are some similarities between the countries of the region. A Hispanic could be of any race. You make the points against why Hispanic isn't a race in your own post.

Being white in America is as much a cultural construct as race...Someone shows up with light skin from Argentina speaking Spanish and they are considered Hispanic; If they learn to speak fairly unaccented English than they'd probably be considered "white. The census bureau's classifcations have never made much sense to me anyways...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:08 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,393,298 times
hatians tend to be smaller and more round than other blacks,mostly Caribbean blacks, just look at the faces of them most are round with Chinese looking eyes.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,850,743 times
Race is definitely much more of a social construct than a biological one. For the vast majority of the history of mankind, ethnic groups did not put themselves all in one group simply based on melanin content (or lack thereof).

Old 09-12-2009, 03:23 PM

925 posts, read 2,229,968 times
German, Polish, etc. is European & White Caucasian.

Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese are Mongoloid, all belonging to the same race.

Puerto-Ricans, Mexicans, etc. are composed of a majority mestizo mutt population (Mostly Indian native with Spaniard thrown in). A small minority in Latin America are white caucasian. And an even larger minority are one-hundred percent Indian "native". This is minus the countries of Argentina, Uruguay, and the south of Brazil, where there are white caucasian majorities.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:24 PM

925 posts, read 2,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Race is definitely much more of a social construct than a biological one. For the vast majority of the history of mankind, ethnic groups did not put themselves all in one group simply based on melanin content (or lack thereof).
Race is not a social construct.

Society is a Racial Construct.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 PM

985 posts, read 3,190,977 times
Default Latino as a race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think you are confusing race with ethnicity or culture. Race primarily has to do with skin color and identifiable physical characteristics. Which is why race is a fairly simplistic way of categorizing anyone. At the basic level of racial classifications, native Americans in Hispanic countries would be considered a different race than those of European or African descent. The reality though is that the ethinicities have mixed to such a degree in most Latin countries that racial classifications don't encompass the cultural diversity.

Hispanic just refers to anyone speaking Spanish and residing in the former colonies of Spain; Latin American would just include Brazillians as well. That doesn't constitute a race, however. It's not even really an ethnicity or culture..although there are some similarities between the countries of the region. A Hispanic could be of any race. You make the points against why Hispanic isn't a race in your own post.

Being white in America is as much a cultural construct as race...Someone shows up with light skin from Argentina speaking Spanish and they are considered Hispanic; If they learn to speak fairly unaccented English than they'd probably be considered "white. The census bureau's classifcations have never made much sense to me anyways...
The classification called race in America has long been a mix of race (based on physical characteristics as you said it) and ethnicity and culture.

Let's take Black for example. There's certainly something "ethnic" and "cultural" about Blacks in America. Regarding the physical characteristics, there are many Blacks who physically do not look Black.
In addition to the "autochtonous" American Blacks, there are also those from Africa. Now put a person each from Madagascar, Senegal, Namibia, Eritrea, all of which are considered Black, in a room, and ask yourself what they have in common?
Physically they can look very different from each other. Many people from Madagascar look more like Pacific Islanders, some (indigenous) Namibians look more Asian, and Senegalese and Eritreans certainly look very different from each other.

So what we call Black in America has a very high level of diversity. Not only skin color, but also other features including hair color, hair texture (from kinky to straight), forms of the nose, lips, eyes, distribution of body fat, stature, etc. Not to mention the diversity on the non-physical level: languages, ethnicities, cultures, etc.

The same goes for Latino and White and Asian. Every single one of them is a catch-all category, which we call race for certain reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Well I personally believe that Latin American deserve their own race.
They are categorized as "white" by the US census bureau.
They are obviously (many of them, I know many of them ARE) white.
I am Latino or half anyways, and I don't believe that we should be categorized as "white"

Bolivans... NOT white, if anything they look closer to Southeastern Asian people.
One of these pictures is a pic of Peruvians Children one of Filipino Children, Which one is which?:

Now granted, I've been to Mexico.
I KNOW there are people who might've been as well been born in Sweden.
But Culturally and for the most part ethnically.
They're not white.
so while they're not officially a "race", most people regard them as such.
When you say "white", you think of someone from Germany.
Not Mexico.

Now i can see WHY they would sub categorize them as white.
But the people of Peru vs the people of Argentina are world apart.
Peru consists mainly of Indigenous people (who supposedly came from Asia), while many Argentinians killed the natives are are mostly of Spanish, German, and Italian decent. Brazil, on the other hand has a significant population of African Americans.
So I really think they SHOULD create a "Hispanic Race", because at the rate we're going we'll sub catagorize the blackest black man on the planet as "white" because he's from Brazil.
But...to each his own.
Fact is, Latino has been, for the above mentioned reasons, treated on the same level as Black, Asian, and White, thus as a race, in spite of the US Census Bureau not acknowledging this.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 3,166,595 times
Just ask them!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,850,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Of course it is. I know it would destroy your entire reason for being here if you discovered that truth, but that indeed is the truth.

The following explains it well:

Quote:
Often times the word social construct is thrown around in various theoretical and general works without ever being defined or discussed. However, understanding what is meant by race as a social construct is vital to understanding the capacity race has to intersect and affect other aspects and domains of life and society, as well as how to dismantle it.

To begin, a social construct is ontologically subjective, but epistemologically objective. It is ontologically subjective in that the construction and continued existence of social constructs are contingent on social groups and their collective agreement, imposition, and acceptance of such constructions (for more on the notion of social constructions see The Construction of Social Reality by John Searle). There is nothing absolute or real about social constructions in the same way as there is something absolute and real about rocks, rivers, mountains, and in general the objects examined by physics. For example, the existence of a mountain is not contingent on collective acceptance, imposition, or agreement. A mountain will exist regardless of people thinking, agreeing or accepting that it does exist. Unlike a mountain, the existence of race requires that people collectively agree and accept that it does exist. Franz Boas, a physicist by training, supports this view of race best in his work Race, Language, and Culture where he observes that there is nothing biologically real about race. There is nothing that we have identified as race that exists apart from our collective agreement, acceptance, and imposition of its existence.
Source

Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM

52,641 posts, read 75,502,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post

Society is a Racial Construct.
False, Race is a social construct: RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS

Look at the translation for the names of these groups: Inuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bantu peoples - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and some more information: Race (classification of human beings) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,133,751 times
Default Is this a Northern thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
How do you tell apart from different yet similar races? Can you usually tell if the person you see is Italian, German, or Polish? Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Mexican? Chinese, Japanese, or Korean? If so, how can you tell?
What reason would you have for needing to know that. We live in the Charlotte, N. C. area and I had never heard people mentioning their nationality to each other until so many people started coming here from other states. Around here we are basically American.

If someone is a first generation American, their accent usually points that out to us, but Southern hospitality kicks into action and we try our very best to make them feel at home and be part of the neighborhood.

So when a person becomes an American citizen, why consider yourself anything except American. I think that brings our country together instead of separating us into this group or that group.

When I was in the 9th grade, a civics teacher gave us the assignment to find out different family last names of our ancestors. I discovered that my ancestors were German, Scotch-Irish, English, and American Indian. Now which one would you have me go by? This is America and I am not an immigrant, I was born on American soil and I am an all-American girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or