Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
The same goes for Latino and White and Asian. Every single one of them is a catch-all category, which we call race for certain reasons.
To identify the "other" and maintain power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
German, Polish, etc. is European & White Caucasian.

Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese are Mongoloid, all belonging to the same race.

Puerto-Ricans, Mexicans, etc. are composed of a majority mestizo mutt population (Mostly Indian native with Spaniard thrown in). A small minority in Latin America are white caucasian. And an even larger minority are one-hundred percent Indian "native". This is minus the countries of Argentina, Uruguay, and the south of Brazil, where there are white caucasian majorities.

I disagree with you. Puerto Ricans are not composed of mainly Indian Native. Puerto Ricans are made up of Blacks (Africans), Whites (Spain) and Indians (Taino) That is why many Puerto Ricans look Biracial. Some may look White, Black, or even Indian.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Latin America is how the world should be.

Of no race.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 PM

17 posts, read 59,995 times
^^^ Many people think Latin America is racially harmonized when in reality it isnt, they have plenty of problems with race, and its worse than the united states.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Unfortunately, racism is a terrible problem all over Latin America...

ABQConvict

Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontyoulookatme View Post
Many people think Latin America is racially harmonized when in reality it isnt, they have plenty of problems with race, and its worse than the united states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Unfortunately, racism is a terrible problem all over Latin America...
And it's exactly the lack of a solid, separate identity like that of the Blacks in the USA, that renders anything comparable to the "Civil Rights Movement" almost impossible.

Brazil has tried to introduce Affirmative Action, yet such thing is -regardless of whether you support it or not- difficult to implement because they can't even agree on who is Black and who is not.

So Latin American societies easily remain oblivious to their minorities, and these can hardly gain recognition for the reason mentioned.

Quote from another thread:

It's true that the US is a very race conscious society, but the existence of such grouping facilitates the minority to gain recognition.
If you look at the situation in many Latin American countries, those who are not White don't really have a separate identity; thus it's difficult to gain recognition and so they remained invisible.
I'm not saying that there are no changes. It's just that some things are harder to achieve exactly for the lack of such open racism as in the US.

It's difficult for many countries to accept other races because they don't even realize or even deny the existence of others.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Well I personally believe that Latin American deserve their own race.
They are categorized as "white" by the US census bureau.
They are obviously (many of them, I know many of them ARE) white.
I am Latino or half anyways, and I don't believe that we should be categorized as "white"

Bolivans... NOT white, if anything they look closer to Southeastern Asian people.
One of these pictures is a pic of Peruvians Children one of Filipino Children, Which one is which?:

Now granted, I've been to Mexico.
I KNOW there are people who might've been as well been born in Sweden.
But Culturally and for the most part ethnically.
They're not white.
so while they're not officially a "race", most people regard them as such.
When you say "white", you think of someone from Germany.
Not Mexico.

Now i can see WHY they would sub categorize them as white.
But the people of Peru vs the people of Argentina are world apart.
Peru consists mainly of Indigenous people (who supposedly came from Asia), while many Argentinians killed the natives are are mostly of Spanish, German, and Italian decent. Brazil, on the other hand has a significant population of African Americans.
So I really think they SHOULD create a "Hispanic Race", because at the rate we're going we'll sub catagorize the blackest black man on the planet as "white" because he's from Brazil.
But...to each his own.
They're not categorized as white. Latinos can be of any race: White (Alexis Bledel), black (David Ortiz), Asian (Bruce Chen), etc.

They're only white if they CHOOSE to put that down. There's also "other," "two or more races," and the other racial categories. It's a COMBINATIOn of both race and ETHNICITY (which, in this case, is latino).

I seriously doubt baseball players Pedro Ortiz or Bruce Chen put down "white" as their race.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM

162 posts, read 229,504 times
If someone wants to "axe" you a question he/she is probably of African decent.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:11 AM

96 posts, read 243,514 times
I try not to . I don't care one bit about race unless of course the person is speaking of family history or the times he/she was living in a certain place. Other than that, its all the same to me.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:57 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.