Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times

Advertisements

I'm half Filipino and I can spot Filipinos easily. I don't know how. Filipinos are very diverse. There are many different groups:

Aboriginal inhabitants:

Lowland Malays:

People of Chinese ancestry:

People of Spanish ancestry:

Tribal Malays:

Muslim Malays:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'm half Filipino and I can spot Filipinos easily. I don't know how. Filipinos are very diverse. There are many different groups
Perhaps you are able to spot them through their gestures or their fashion preference.
Thanks for the photos!
Many people don't realize that there's a good number of Black looking people in Southeastern Asia. You just don't see them in the media because of the strong preference for light skin or Caucasian features in general.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
How do you tell apart from different yet similar races? Can you usually tell if the person you see is Italian, German, or Polish? Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Mexican? Chinese, Japanese, or Korean? If so, how can you tell?
I always told my Italian-American boss that he looked like the terrorist that replaced al-Zarqawi in Iraq...and I'm Italian-American, too.

I can tell the difference between Mexican and Puerto Rican because I've seen a lot of both and I don't think they even look similar. But, I don't see a lot of Cubans or Dominicans so I have no idea about them. I don't see a lot of different Asians regularly to be able to distinguish between Chinese, Japanese and Korean. I just think you have to see a lot of different people to notice differences.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM

16 posts, read 16,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
How do you tell apart from different yet similar races? Can you usually tell if the person you see is Italian, German, or Polish? Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Mexican? Chinese, Japanese, or Korean? If so, how can you tell?

The Koreans have that garlic smell and the Japanese always carry cameras, thats how I tell them apart.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I always told my Italian-American boss that he looked like the terrorist that replaced al-Zarqawi in Iraq...and I'm Italian-American, too.

I can tell the difference between Mexican and Puerto Rican because I've seen a lot of both and I don't think they even look similar. But, I don't see a lot of Cubans or Dominicans so I have no idea about them. I don't see a lot of different Asians regularly to be able to distinguish between Chinese, Japanese and Korean. I just think you have to see a lot of different people to notice differences.
He must be from Sicily or extreme southern Italy where he may have picked up Saracen blood. Although the Normans (Nordic/Norse Frenchmen) were also in Sicily which is why you find tall redheads and blonds in Sicily.

My girlfriend and her family are from outside of Rome. Blond, blue eyed. I was surprised by how many native Italians when I was over there were so "German" looking. Yet they have that Italian sensuality on top of the more Northern European features. They were also tall and skinny. So much for the fat Italian grandmother stereotypes.

It seems that the "Sopranos" types you see in Italian Americans are usually descendants of the lower classes from Sicily and southern Italy who emigrated from the Old Country to the U.S. for poverty reasons.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 PM

16 posts, read 16,185 times
Those dark Italians are not more than light skinned Black people. Hanibal invaded them and shot his sperm all over the place like Bobby Brown.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I can tell from facial features whether people are Chinese, Korean or Japanese, and usually Vietnamese as well. That's because there are many of all of those groups in this area (north Jersey/New York metro area).

I worked with a woman from Kenya once. She said she could spot a West Somalian on the street as well as people from Kenyan tribes other than her own.

I once worked with a guy who I couldn't figure out "what" he was. He was looked somewhat Asian but was tall and had a strong build...I thought maybe he was half-Polynesian or something. Eventuallly he mentioned that his parents were from Uzbekistan.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontyoulookatme View Post
^^^ Many people think Latin America is racially harmonized when in reality it isnt, they have plenty of problems with race, and its worse than the united states.
Yes, in Bolivia, the people who are half-native are outcasts in some areas and usually living in poverty.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
A lot of times you can tell by facial structure.
Yes, I can spot people who are slavic, for example. They tend to have a certain identifiable jaw/chin and nose feature.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON350 View Post
Those dark Italians are not more than light skinned Black people. Hanibal invaded them and shot his sperm all over the place like Bobby Brown.
You're exaggerating quite a bit.

First -- Hannibal was from Carthage which had roots in Phoenician culture where present day Lebanon and Israel are. Hannibal and North Africans were NOT BLACK!

Second -- Hannibal was only in Italy for a few short years. And this was over 2200 years ago! Any genetic imprint would've been overrun by the native Roman and Italic peoples plus the Germanic/Barbarian/Goth invaders in the post-Roman empire years.

Third -- the Saracens from North Africa (who were a mix of Berber, Arab and Germanic Tribes -- yes the Germanic "Vandal" tribe made it to North Africa) were the ones who converted to Islam and invaded Sicily. The Norman (aka Viking) king Roger conquered Sicily from the Saracens and restored it to Catholic power.

Fourth -- The Greek influence in Southern Italy is mostly why you find the "swarthier" Tony Soprano types of Italian Americans. Go to Italy -- you fill be shocked by how many blond/blue eyed people you see there -- like my girlfriend!!!

You should really brush up on your European history!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.