Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:04 PM

240 posts, read 1,260,820 times

Advertisements

How do you tell apart from different yet similar races? Can you usually tell if the person you see is Italian, German, or Polish? Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Mexican? Chinese, Japanese, or Korean? If so, how can you tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times
First those are nationalities not races.

After that I'm not sure what to say without sounding insulting. To a large extent you can tell by name. Japanese phonology appears to have little or no use of the "ng" sound, which is unlike many Asian languages. Japanese also lacks the "l", as we pronounce it, while having a sound that's sort of "between" "l" and "r." (For some reason this led to a stereotype that all East Asian immigrants can't pronounce "L" to the point you get Chinese characters in movies like "Christmas Story" going "rah rah rah." This despite Chinese definitely having an "L" sound) Anyway names like "Ling", "Lee/Li", "Wong", etc are therefore not Japanese. However "Li/Lee" can be Korean so it may not always help. Still "Kim" and "Park" are surnames that are most associated with Koreans rather than Chinese. From when I was taking Chinese I don't think they have the "oy" as in "boy" sound. Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and some other Asian languages do. (Toyota, Choi, Hanoi, etc) Chinese surnames I think are more likely to be monosyllabic than Japanese ones. (Bai, Fu, Chen, etc compared to Koizumi, Mishima, Fukuda, etc)

Outside of that I'd say I generally or at least often can tell the difference between Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese by appearance but I'm worried about how to describe how. Japanese I think are often described as the most "delicately" featured of the three. Koreans, in my experience, often have more prominent cheekbones. China is much less homogenous than Korea or Japan so there's a wider variation there. Southern Chinese I think tend to be a bit more "tan" in skintone. The people around Manchuria look roughly like Koreans from what I've seen. None of this is exact and I worry about being offensive.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-31-2009 at 01:24 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,660,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
How do you tell apart from different yet similar races? Can you usually tell if the person you see is Italian, German, or Polish? Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Mexican? Chinese, Japanese, or Korean? If so, how can you tell?
Well the Whites are different. I mean their face skull is different. However sometimes I get them confused lol. German people tend to have red hair or blonde than the White Americans. Now, Hispanics people. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans look very alike. Sometimes it is hard to distinguished between the two until they speak Spanish lol. Most of the times the Mexicans look like Ecuadorians, Costa Ricans, Paraguayans, etc.. But Cubans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans look very similar.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:13 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times
Well I only answered because I've heard some Asians do get offended by being called "Chinese" when they're Japanese or vice versa. Or like that "King of the Hill" episode where they kept wondering whether Kahn was "Chinese or Japanese" and being confused by his being Laotian.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,844,521 times
I can't usually tell where in Asia someone is from. I've mostly been around Hispanics my whole life, other than Caucasians. I've noticed than Puerto Ricans tend to have lighter skin; some actually have very pale skin. Dominicans have much darker skin, most of the time. Of course I'm not 100% right. I teach in the Bronx, and 95% of my students are either PRican or Dominican, so I've noticed this through the years.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,557,692 times
It's tough to tell nationalities within races. But I can usually tell the general area where European caucasians are from.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,183,302 times
If I am unsure and curious about it for some reason, I ask politely.

ABQConvict

Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,146,829 times
When it comes to Europeans, Italians and Greeks are the most distinquish apart. Most Western Europeans look the same to me, maybe because a lot of White Americans are mixed. When it comes to Asians, I usually tell by the sur name. Vietnamese are darker than Japanese, Koreans, and such. Hispanics are alittle more easier. Many Dominicans are mixed black/white or just black, so you can easily tell them apart from Mexicans. Puerto Ricans seem like mixed between White/black/Native, while Mexicans are usually Mestizo or just plain Native American.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,660,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I can't usually tell where in Asia someone is from. I've mostly been around Hispanics my whole life, other than Caucasians. I've noticed than Puerto Ricans tend to have lighter skin; some actually have very pale skin. Dominicans have much darker skin, most of the time. Of course I'm not 100% right. I teach in the Bronx, and 95% of my students are either PRican or Dominican, so I've noticed this through the years.
Yeah this is true. Puerto Ricans tend to be lighter than the Dominicans, but don't get me wrong there are Puerto Ricans that are darker as well.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,237,458 times
I can often tell differences but not always.

I've noticed Puerto Ricans to often have black thick hair, black eyes, but a light olive complexion (Danny Pino). However, I've seen some that look more "Indian" (Jimmy Smitts). I think I've met only one Dominican in my life.

I can often tell Chinese and Koreans apart. Koreans' eyes are shaped a bit different, often "straight" rather than upturned. And I can often recognize Vietnamese and Cambodians from the Chinese; however, I cannot differentiate Vietnamese from Cambodians. (Does someone out there know the physical differences?)

Pretty good about differentiating Italians from Greeks, even Italians from Sicilians (however, I have known a couple of Sicilians with blue eyes and lighter hair). Not always but Greeks often have swarthier faces than Italians, and thick hair that gives way to distinguished hairlines when they go grey.

Guatamalans are often shorter than Mexicans, but the Spanish-Mexicans look like. . . well. . . Spaniards. But many Americans don't know this because Indian-Mexicans are who we're used to seeing for immigrants.

Filipinos tend to be average or short height with wide, very angular faces, "stubby" noses, and dark olive-skinned. Usually pitch black hair.

Portuguese and Romanians tend to look very much alike. However, when the Romanians speak English their accents sound more "French".

I can tell Middle Eastern Indians from Pakistanis. Pakistani features give away the Iranian influence and are often a little lighter-skinned.

All very beautiful people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.