U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 04:54 PM

740 posts, read 1,764,311 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live in Anchorage, Alaska and I will be working up here in 2-3 month increments. I will be spending my off-work time traveling around the US for the next few years in a travel trailer. Any ideas on places I should not miss? I am mostly interested in the outdoors and especially fishing and great, scenic hiking. Places with less people and off the beaten path are much preferred. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 05:24 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,192,721 times
Colorado, Wyoming and Montana are good bets for outdoor activities. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier National Parks not to be missed.

AZ has the Grand Canyon and Sedona, very beautiful places also if you like the desert, like me!

The Pacific Northwest beautiful place to visit in summer and fall, great hiking along the Columbia Gorge.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM

48 posts, read 244,891 times
Shenandoah Nat'l Park/Appalachian Trail in western VA. Beautiful rolling hills, lush valleys, lots of trails and camping. Honestly, I think it's one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 PM

106 posts, read 330,857 times
Northern Minnesota has some great outdoor activities as well. The Gunflint trail starts at Grand Marais (small town on lake superior) and runs through Superior National Forest. Here is a link http://www.gunflint-trail.com

There is also the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, which contains over a thousand lakes and streams. The different lakes can be accessed through the streams or short portages.

Here is a link for more info http://www.exploreminnesota.com/regions/ne/index.aspx

Old 04-29-2007, 06:44 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,253,134 times
Try the Oregon coast. there's lots of fishing in lakes and the ocean. There is camping but they camp grounds get filled up during summer.

The Oregon coast is a natural beauty. It's easy to find lonely beaches and small towns. The forests are plentiful and good for hiking.

It does not get hot but there's lots of rain during winter. The very best time to come is during fall before the November storms start coming in.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:25 PM

20,864 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Post Great Places to Visit

-I highly recommend the Pacific Coast Highway as it is extremely scenic!
-Glacier National Park in Montana is excellent!
-Make sure to visit the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming!
-Be sure to check out the temperate rain forests in the Olympic National Forest in Washington state.
-For great scenery in the Midwest check out the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as well as the Porcupine Mountains.
-The Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota offers great boating and northwoods scenery.
-The Appalachian Mountains are great, especially in the fall.
-The Green and White Mountains in Vermont and New Hampshire offer wonderful views, hiking, and other outdoor activities.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,088,055 times
Bryce Canyon in Utah.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,247,905 times
Why come all the way to the states when canada has everything your wanting, there are lots of nice places up there.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,400,207 times
Default saratoga springs New York

The best town I have been to in the United States is Saratoga Springs New York. The town is charming, historic and has the most sought after summer sports/nightlife scene in the country. The Saratoga Racecourse is clearly the most endearing sports facility in North America and houses the greatest game in the country. Outdoor activities in the pristine Adirondack mountains are nearby, and the culinary delights are world class. Saratoga Springs the best of the best.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:25 AM

21,649 posts, read 30,276,065 times
I think you should go to western North Carolina, the Blue Ridge Parkway is one of America's most scenic drives. There are also LOTS of hiking trails and waterfalls in that area. Maggie Valley is good location to stay at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or