U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM

12 posts, read 78,575 times

Advertisements

On my list there's,

Las Vegas, NV - A place where everyone that goes bust decides to start over so it's filled with people with lots of emotional baggage plus most either drink or do drugs.....worst traffic with aggressive and armed (yes) drivers, gangs, crime, etc..... and now expensive and full of racists!
Sta. Barbara, CA - The rich like it there and they want "regular" people to show up and serve them, then they want you to go and live somewhere else 'cause this is for them. Snob city and very expensive & overrated.
La Jolla, CA - Beautiful, the ocean is freezing so you can't just go swimming, wicked expensive!!!!! Lots of snobs and wanna be's....
Coronado, CA - Island paradise, very expensive, they roll up the sidewalks at 9pm and if you go out, police will stop you and ask "where do you think you're going?", but in the summer it's wall to wall people and noise...
Atwood, KS - Nice people living in a rapidly dying town, nothing to do and nobody to do it with.
Ashland, OR - Beautiful country, small town life but they tell you "you came, you saw, now go back where you're from....

Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,119,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintabelina View Post
On my list there's,

Las Vegas, NV - A place where everyone that goes bust decides to start over so it's filled with people with lots of emotional baggage plus most either drink or do drugs.....worst traffic with aggressive and armed (yes) drivers, gangs, crime, etc..... and now expensive and full of racists!
Sta. Barbara, CA - The rich like it there and they want "regular" people to show up and serve them, then they want you to go and live somewhere else 'cause this is for them. Snob city and very expensive & overrated.
La Jolla, CA - Beautiful, the ocean is freezing so you can't just go swimming, wicked expensive!!!!! Lots of snobs and wanna be's....
Coronado, CA - Island paradise, very expensive, they roll up the sidewalks at 9pm and if you go out, police will stop you and ask "where do you think you're going?", but in the summer it's wall to wall people and noise...
Atwood, KS - Nice people living in a rapidly dying town, nothing to do and nobody to do it with.
Ashland, OR - Beautiful country, small town life but they tell you "you came, you saw, now go back where you're from....
It's in interesting to me that someone else listed La Jolla because I find it one of the ugliest places I have ever been, but so many consider it heaven. It's so fake, everyone looks the same with their tanned leathery skin, fake boobs and ugly purses with some designers initials on them. Blech, I get the creeps just thinking about it. Everything that is superficial and embarassing about the US is prominent in La Jolla. I used to avoid going there at any cost. The only nice thing are the seals chilling out on the beach, those huge smelly seals are much more interesting than the people. Most of Santa Barbara is the same.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Phoenix has a huge ugly brown cloud of pollution hanging over the city and the city itself is not an attractive place. The desert itself has a certain beauty, but I couldn't wait to leave the city.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammerist View Post
My personal list of uglies:

San Diego--Since this is one that hasn't been repeatedly named on this thread, some explanation: I lived there briefly with family a few years ago. Never again! The natural setting is (or, perhaps more aptly, "could be") truly gorgeous, but the "created" environment is one of the most hideous I know. Filthy, run-down, precious little character, a dumpy and tiny downtown for a city its size, many shades of brown and tan and little else (on the ground and the buildings), lots of industrial wasteland, stupifying sprawl everywhere, need I continue?
Charlotte, N.C.
Durham, N.C.
Greensboro, N.C.
Virginia Beach, VA and environs
all of the Northern VA sprawlbelt
Morgantown, W.V.
Houston, TX
Gary, IN
San Diego as a filthy industrial wasteland? Downtown San Diego is very nice, it's grown and become very walkable, the gaslamp is lively and full of restaurants and clubs and it's pristine clean(too clean IMO) so I can't figure out where it's filthy or run down and where is the "industrial wasteland"? I lived in the sunset cliffs/ocean beach neighborhood and think it's beautiful to walk above the cliffs looking at the ocean while green amazon parrots fly overhead and then walk down the main street where most of the stores and restaurants are quirky and independent. Balboa park is full of museums with beautiful spanish architecure, the neighborhoods surrounding the park all have houses full of character and old town is small but historical. Where in the world did you live? It's the cleanest city I have ever been too. I don't even love San Diego, but I just can't agree with your assesment. I do agree the sprawl is awful, but I can't imagine calling the city itself ugly. I lived there 12 years.

Last edited by detshen; 02-22-2008 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 12:13 AM

287 posts, read 367,318 times
I took the original intent of this thread (relating to ugly) to mean "run down".
Run down and dirty. These are the kinds of things that make most people uncomfortable. It's especially unsettling if you are an outsider looking in.
But for a resident, they probably don't see it that way. I find it depressing to
think that in a country of such wealth, a majority of our cities are run down and
dirty. For someone such as myself looking to relocate, and feeling uncomfortable
with places that look run down and ugly, I almost feel like there is no clean
cities out there anywhere. I did pay particular attention in this thread to the
cities that were not on anyone's list: Portland, OR, Portland, ME, Boise, Madison
to name a few:

My list for ugliest cities would be:

Reno. It is about as ugly as ugly gets. The mountains are pretty, however.
Omaha. Part of downtown are literally crumbling.
Alburquerque.
Any town or city in Kansas.
Springfield, MO

Old 02-23-2008, 02:32 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,672,416 times
Why Springfield? Just Curious.

It's a beautiful area I think. It might be too spread out for some people's tastes, though.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
Nice pictures of Philadelphia, indeed.

There are certain people on this forum who absolutely can NOT resist (like a bad habit) the opportunity to denigrate cities like Buffalo, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. -- you know, the "usual" suspects...out of convenience, pure laziness, or unwillingness to consider what may be going good or correctly in any of these cities.

If you read their posts carefully, you will see that they lack originality, repeating the same old tired refrains. Innuendo, one-liners, the worse possible light that can be shed for maximum effect...then they run back to their ratholes to watch the reaction.

Yay for freedom of expression; boo to monotonous, dark-mooded, pessimistic busy-bodies!

LOL
That is so true. I grew up in Detroit and recently moved back. As soon as I saw the title I knew half the people would answer Detroit. I wonder how many of them actually have spent significant time there or attempted to get to know the city. Lots of people love to write about how awful it is and take pictures of burned buildings. My BF is a hobby photographer and he has gone through the city taking pictures of beautiful buildings,neighborhoods and our favorite places. We love Detroit and go to many beautiful places in the city. Interesting people take the time to really get to know a place before writing it off.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 78,575 times
Default You expect to see everywhere be beautiful?

Quote:
I took the original intent of this thread (relating to ugly) to mean "run down".
Run down and dirty. These are the kinds of things that make most people uncomfortable. It's especially unsettling if you are an outsider looking in.
But for a resident, they probably don't see it that way. I find it depressing to
think that in a country of such wealth, a majority of our cities are run down and
dirty. For someone such as myself looking to relocate, and feeling uncomfortable
with places that look run down and ugly, I almost feel like there is no clean
cities out there anywhere.
For a rich country there should be many other things that should depress you too if we talk about it, how come there is soo much poverty and hunger? Everyone hays taxes of all kinds yet services are going down, down and cause the rundown conditions you mention.... I could go on.... but this isn't a political post.
Unless you are wealthy, areas available to the rest of us will have rundown areas, etc. this is just life... it depresses you? You must not travel either since the whole world has poor/rich contrasts.... As someone who used to be middle class (and rapidly falling out of it I might add due to our economy) AND looking to relocate to a low cost of living / decent area where we can live and have a life.... I'm finding it very hard to find, plus I need to get a job on top of it and those are getting harder to get due to unemployment rising.... where will "regular" people have to live? I'm from the San Diego area (born and raised) but I can't afford to live there anymore.... so we moved to Las Vegas (for work only) and now can't afford this place either.... My husband is retired so he's got limited income; I'm 54 and even though I am an award winning Chef and formal schooling (administrative / bilingual) how many employers do you know that hire people in my age group? But I still need to to work, otherwise I won't be able to retire since the social security Admin. cuts my expected benefits every time they send out a report..... what to do? downsize...lower expectations.... yikes!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Unless you are wealthy, areas available to the rest of us will have rundown areas, etc. this is just life... it depresses you? You must not travel either since the whole world has poor/rich contrasts.... As someone who used to be middle class (and rapidly falling out of it I might add due to our economy) AND looking to relocate to a low cost of living / decent area where we can live and have a life...

Get off your high horse, and stop whinning. Let me guess, you're a Democrat.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Why Springfield? Just Curious.

It's a beautiful area I think. It might be too spread out for some people's tastes, though.

Well, in my opinion the downtown looks like it was bombed. The buildings are crumbling,
and falling apart. Perhaps it's not all like this. But from the downtown portions I saw,
it made me shudder. The older neighborhoods, of which there are many, have houses that should be razed. There are way too many old, seedy, dilipitated houses for my comfort level. On the other hand, the countryside is nice, and the cost of living is
great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or