U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Reputation: 1589

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Well that's probably true. In Chicago we like things done yesterday, and if you get in our way there is going to be a problem. However, we do have a reputation for being nice when compared to major cities. Try going to New York and see how they treat you. As for Minneapolis, of course they're nice. They people in Mayberry are also nice. What's your point.
Actually i found NYers to be kinder than Chicagoans. And in a study of the largest cities in the world, NY came in 1st

 
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,107,820 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
I'm not from Detroit and have never been there (except to the Detroit Metro airport many years ago on the way home after Air Force basic training and tech school), but it's good to read something positive about the city.

Finally, someone who can speak with credibility who, while not denying Detroit's problems, can still see its beauty and redeeming aspects. Thank you.
This was a very nice post from RFinMD. I deal with a lot of Detroit bashing because I actually live in the city, not the suburbs and I work to make it a better place. I get so tired of the insults. I realize this is just an internet forum, but this meant a lot to me. It made me feel good, like maybe it is worth it and people will start to see it. But then this post comes from Chicago including a quote from the post that made me feel good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Oh please! Give me a break! I've been to Detroit more times than I care to remember and the place is a DUMP!(downtown is a ghost town) Do you expect people who have never been to Detroit to believe that Detroit has the reputation it has because people have it in for Detroit, or because they've been there and know what it's like. You people in Detroit have two choices: 1) live in a dream world, deny your vast array of problems and don't demand change or, 2) get off your butts and hold the city government accountable and step into the 21st century like everyone else. Chicago isn't consider to be the best planned city in America because they thought about, they made it happen. You can too.
Don't you see how this might be inappropriate? I know I'm being sensitive and this is just a silly forum, but I was called a liar, told I live in a dreamworld and told to get off my butt which I expressed that I do. My city was called a dump. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but would anybody else in Chicago take a compliment given to me and turn around and use it to insult me? If that is what you mean by brash, well it's pretty awful. Thanks for that Torchwoodchi, you really made my day.
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Chicago
93 posts, read 63,546 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Ouch! Open mouth- insert foot.

Like I said Chicago has many great attributes, for you to disparrage other cities is pretty silly and immature. Chicago is not without fault however, its past its present or its future.

USATODAY.com - Chicago topped nation in homicides in 2003


Chicago topped nation in homicides in 2003

CHICAGO (AP) Despite a sharp drop in homicides, Chicago has regained a title it didn't want: America's murder capital.
The city finished 2003 with 599 homicides, police said Thursday. That was down from 648 a year earlier and the first time since 1967 that the total dipped below 600.



I stand corrected. Also, I can admit when I'm wrong. What about the per ca pita stats for Chi vs. Philly? Actually, I'm not sure, but since you are obviously a stats guy I trust you will be able to set me straight. All I know is that Philly's rep for crime is worse than Chi. Perhaps you guys need a better PR department. Also, by the way, NY was able to lower their crime rate by putting their city on lock down European style(i'm exaggerating). I lived in Rome and having the MILITARY POLICE stand facing inward at piazzas(with automatic weapons) during holiday celebrations is not way to live. LOL.

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-24-2008 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: copyright violation.
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago
93 posts, read 63,546 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
/LEFT];2929050]Actually i found to be kinder than Chicagoans. And in a study of the largest cities in the world, NY came in 1st
I don't know what planet your from, but NY has a well deserved rep for being totally rude and suspicious. You're obviously making this stuff up. If you'd actually ever been to NY you'd know that trying to talk to a NYer on the street corner(and I'm generalizing) isn't a pleasant experience, they're jaded, loud and obnoxious.(come on give to me, I can hear it now) I'm jaded, rude and obnoxious. LOL Also, your comment about NY being the kindest people in survey of cities in the world, what a load of crap! There is no one who has actually travelled that would even think of NY in that conversation. But then again I don't know many truck drivers who been out of the country. LOL. Don't get mad. I'm just playing with you!
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago
93 posts, read 63,546 times
Reputation: 16
[quoteForget it, you are unbelievably insulting and hurtful and all you can do is ask me why we aren't changing fast enough for you to notice. You don't live here. Thankfully I know many sensitive and caring people in Chicago so I know all the people in the city aren't heartless.[/quote]

Look lets call a truce. I've obviously offended you and nothing I say can appease you. I wish nothing but the best for Detroit and perhaps sometime in the near future you guys will be able to turn the tide. At least you guys have great sports franchise and that's something to build on, in the civic pride department. It may sound trivial, but it's a start.
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
I don't know what planet your from, but NY has a well deserved rep for being totally rude and suspicious. You're obviously making this stuff up. If you'd actually ever been to NY you'd know that trying to talk to a NYer on the street corner(and I'm generalizing) isn't a pleasant experience, they're jaded, loud and obnoxious.(come on give to me, I can hear it now) I'm jaded, rude and obnoxious. LOL Also, your comment about NY being the kindest people in survey of cities in the world, what a load of crap! There is no one who has actually travelled that would even think of NY in that conversation. But then again I don't know many truck drivers who been out of the country. LOL. Don't get mad. I'm just playing with you!
im Utterly confused
i heard the thing about kindest cities on CNN.
And ive spent whole years in NY so id know. and ive been to Chicago verious times. not saying th people are horrible or anything though. Im still so confused about your paragraph
 
Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
 
24 posts, read 37,998 times
Reputation: 13
Flint, Michigan
 
Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Chicago
93 posts, read 63,546 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
im Utterly confused
i heard the thing about kindest cities on CNN.
And ive spent whole years in NY so id know. and ive been to Chicago verious times. not saying th people are horrible or anything though. Im still so confused about your paragraph
If you think NY is considered a city of nice people(and I'm generalizing) I find it hard to believe you've done much travelling. Most NYers I know are well aware of their rep, whether deserved or not. Also, your claim about CNN is absolutely impossible to believe because, again, when talking about all the cities of the world NY wouldn't even be in the conversation. You need to get out more, because obviously you're living in a bubble(or some kind of deluded dream world). NY is great, the people are great. However, we are talking about reps and perception(usually based on reality). While NY's rep might be a stereotype, it's founded in truth. Maybe one day you will be able to drive to Asia and see for yourself what nice and gracious people are really like. LOL. Just Kidding!
 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Reputation: 1589
im so so so so confused
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,107,820 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
[quoteForget it, you are unbelievably insulting and hurtful and all you can do is ask me why we aren't changing fast enough for you to notice. You don't live here. Thankfully I know many sensitive and caring people in Chicago so I know all the people in the city aren't heartless.
Look lets call a truce. I've obviously offended you and nothing I say can appease you. I wish nothing but the best for Detroit and perhaps sometime in the near future you guys will be able to turn the tide. At least you guys have great sports franchise and that's something to build on, in the civic pride department. It may sound trivial, but it's a start.[/quote]

Umm, yes, this is a tough one:

I say: Your remarks were hurtful to me and I feel insulted.

You say: I a-p-o-l-o-g-i-z-e

I am appeased, it's not brain surgery.

Look, I'm over it. It's fine, the entire country feels they have the right to tell me my city is a dump. Personally I think it's rude to say such things, but I often feel I'm in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top